Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Israel, Gaza and the propaganda war

Well you post up a load of spurious statistics, and assume they're true. Personally, I doubt they are, though I don't know that they're not.
I posted a load of spurious statistics?
You doubt they are true?!

I posted up the ACRI statistics from Israeli Association for Civil Rights (ACRI)
http://www.nif.org/media-center/newsletters/enews-clips/jerusalem-2008-acri-report.html

I always distrust statistics over personal experience. Statistics said that Britain was turning into a better place over the last ten years, - experience told me the opposite. Statistics say standards in British schools have risen. Personally I think that's a load of crap.
If you don't like the way I debate, maybe you should consider being a bit less certain about what you think you know, when actually you've got very little basis for your certainty.

I think you are trying to bully me, and also to imply that somehow the Israeli figures I gave you are spurious and not to be trusted.

Demosthenes you're not adding anything to the debate and drifting off topic.

If you've not been to Israel you cannot possibly comment. :rolleyes:

My experiences are all second hand, relatives of friends and Israelis I met and traveled with in Oz. Palestinians are generally not considered to be equal. Most of the people I've spoken to who were conscripted were traumatised by their experiences.

He goes to Wikipedia on this issue. Jeez :rolleyes:

Oh dear, so the whole wide world is now conspring against you is that it.

I think you need to get some help, professional help, because you are clearly suffering from a mental disorder.

Oh, the irony :D

You are the one seems to think linking to an event as registered on Wiki is somehow unacceptable.

http://www.ifamericansknew.org/history/ref-nakba.html

Here you go, same thing, still a war involving arab nations and israel...not wiki.

Though this one is FAR more biased, so is probably more to your liking.

Though of course that well known tool of the Zionists Wikipedia is clearly far too biased for you.

Here you go, same thing, still a war involving arab nations and israel...not wiki.
from http://www.ifamericansknew.org/history/ref-nakba.html

"This growing violence culminated in Israel's ruthless 1947-49 "War of Independence," in which at least 750,000 Palestinian men, women, and children were expelled from their homes half of them even before any Arab armies joined the war. At every point in this war, Zionist forces outnumbered Arab forces. This massive humanitarian disaster is known among Palestinians and others as ‘The Catastrophe,’ al Nakba in Arabic.

Zionist forces committed at least 33 massacres and destroyed 531 Palestinian villages and towns. Author Norman Finkelstein states: “According to the former director of the Israeli army archives, ‘in almost every village occupied by us during the War of Independence, acts were committed which are defined as war crimes, such as murders, massacres, and rapes’...Uri Milstein, the authoritative Israeli military historian of the 1948 war, goes one step further, maintaining that ‘every skirmish ended in a massacre of Arabs.’”

Thanks. I rest my case.

You are the one seems to think linking to an event as registered on Wiki is somehow unacceptable.
Wikipedia is useless on any contentious issue. Almost anyone can sign up as an editor and causes with the PR muscle make sure they influence it.

the most upsetting thing was reading a blog post by a palestinian who said that she never wanted to see the star of david again, she would rather die than see it again, because of what Israel had caused and what it represented to her.

they've turned it into a swastika.

:(

Here's an interesting article, as ever, by Robert Fisk. apols if its already been posted.

How easy it is to snap off the history of the Palestinians, to delete the narrative of their tragedy, to avoid a grotesque irony about Gaza which – in any other conflict – journalists would be writing about in their first reports: that the original, legal owners of the Israeli land on which Hamas rockets are detonating live in Gaza.

That is why Gaza exists: because the Palestinians who lived in Ashkelon and the fields around it – Askalaan in Arabic – were dispossessed from their lands in 1948 when Israel was created and ended up on the beaches of Gaza. They – or their children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren – are among the one and a half million Palestinian refugees crammed into the cesspool of Gaza, 80 per cent of whose families once lived in what is now Israel. This, historically, is the real story: most of the people of Gaza don't come from Gaza.

But watching the news shows, you'd think that history began yesterday, that a bunch of bearded anti-Semitic Islamist lunatics suddenly popped up in the slums of Gaza – a rubbish dump of destitute people of no origin – and began firing missiles into peace-loving, democratic Israel, only to meet with the righteous vengeance of the Israeli air force. The fact that the five sisters killed in Jabalya camp had grandparents who came from the very land whose more recent owners have now bombed them to death simply does not appear in the story.

Both Yitzhak Rabin and Shimon Peres said back in the 1990s that they wished Gaza would just go away, drop into the sea, and you can see why. The existence of Gaza is a permanent reminder of those hundreds of thousands of Palestinians who lost their homes to Israel, who fled or were driven out through fear or Israeli ethnic cleansing 60 years ago, when tidal waves of refugees had washed over Europe in the aftermath of the Second World War and when a bunch of Arabs kicked out of their property didn't worry the world.

Well, the world should worry now. Crammed into the most overpopulated few square miles in the whole world are a dispossessed people who have been living in refuse and sewage and, for the past six months, in hunger and darkness, and who have been sanctioned by us, the West. Gaza was always an insurrectionary place. It took two years for Ariel Sharon's bloody "pacification", starting in 1971, to be completed, and Gaza is not going to be tamed now.

Alas for the Palestinians, their most powerful political voice – I'm talking about the late Edward Said, not the corrupt Yassir Arafat (and how the Israelis must miss him now) – is silent and their predicament largely unexplained by their deplorable, foolish spokesmen. "It's the most terrifying place I've ever been in," Said once said of Gaza. "It's a horrifyingly sad place because of the desperation and misery of the way people live. I was unprepared for camps that are much worse than anything I saw in South Africa."

Of course, it was left to Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni to admit that "sometimes also civilians pay the price," an argument she would not make, of course, if the fatality statistics were reversed. Indeed, it was instructive yesterday to hear a member of the American Enterprise Institute – faithfully parroting Israel's arguments – defending the outrageous Palestinian death toll by saying that it was "pointless to play the numbers game". Yet if more than 300 Israelis had been killed – against two dead Palestinians – be sure that the "numbers game" and the disproportionate violence would be all too relevant. The simple fact is that Palestinian deaths matter far less than Israeli deaths. True, we know that 180 of the dead were Hamas members. But what of the rest? If the UN's conservative figure of 57 civilian fatalities is correct, the death toll is still a disgrace.

To find both the US and Britain failing to condemn the Israeli onslaught while blaming Hamas is not surprising. US Middle East policy and Israeli policy are now indistinguishable and Gordon Brown is following the same dog-like devotion to the Bush administration as his predecessor.

As usual, the Arab satraps – largely paid and armed by the West – are silent, preposterously calling for an Arab summit on the crisis which will (if it even takes place), appoint an "action committee" to draw up a report which will never be written. For that is the way with the Arab world and its corrupt rulers. As for Hamas, they will, of course, enjoy the discomfiture of the Arab potentates while cynically waiting for Israel to talk to them. Which they will. Indeed, within a few months, we'll be hearing that Israel and Hamas have been having "secret talks" – just as we once did about Israel and the even more corrupt PLO. But by then, the dead will be long buried and we will be facing the next crisis since the last crisis.

Brown has swallowed the Israeli crap whole

Not content with bankrupting us financially the loathesome son of the Manse, in purse lipped Puritan certainty, now bankrupts us morally
I despise him even more than I do Olmert or his laothesome minime barak

Here's an interesting article, as ever, by Robert Fisk. apols if its already been posted.

How easy it is to snap off the history of the Palestinians, to delete the narrative of their tragedy, to avoid a grotesque irony about Gaza which – in any other conflict – journalists would be writing about in their first reports: that the original, legal owners of the Israeli land on which Hamas rockets are detonating live in Gaza.

That is why Gaza exists: because the Palestinians who lived in Ashkelon and the fields around it – Askalaan in Arabic – were dispossessed from their lands in 1948 when Israel was created and ended up on the beaches of Gaza. They – or their children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren – are among the one and a half million Palestinian refugees crammed into the cesspool of Gaza, 80 per cent of whose families once lived in what is now Israel. This, historically, is the real story: most of the people of Gaza don't come from Gaza.

But watching the news shows, you'd think that history began yesterday, that a bunch of bearded anti-Semitic Islamist lunatics suddenly popped up in the slums of Gaza – a rubbish dump of destitute people of no origin – and began firing missiles into peace-loving, democratic Israel, only to meet with the righteous vengeance of the Israeli air force. The fact that the five sisters killed in Jabalya camp had grandparents who came from the very land whose more recent owners have now bombed them to death simply does not appear in the story.

Both Yitzhak Rabin and Shimon Peres said back in the 1990s that they wished Gaza would just go away, drop into the sea, and you can see why. The existence of Gaza is a permanent reminder of those hundreds of thousands of Palestinians who lost their homes to Israel, who fled or were driven out through fear or Israeli ethnic cleansing 60 years ago, when tidal waves of refugees had washed over Europe in the aftermath of the Second World War and when a bunch of Arabs kicked out of their property didn't worry the world.

Well, the world should worry now. Crammed into the most overpopulated few square miles in the whole world are a dispossessed people who have been living in refuse and sewage and, for the past six months, in hunger and darkness, and who have been sanctioned by us, the West. Gaza was always an insurrectionary place. It took two years for Ariel Sharon's bloody "pacification", starting in 1971, to be completed, and Gaza is not going to be tamed now.

Alas for the Palestinians, their most powerful political voice – I'm talking about the late Edward Said, not the corrupt Yassir Arafat (and how the Israelis must miss him now) – is silent and their predicament largely unexplained by their deplorable, foolish spokesmen. "It's the most terrifying place I've ever been in," Said once said of Gaza. "It's a horrifyingly sad place because of the desperation and misery of the way people live. I was unprepared for camps that are much worse than anything I saw in South Africa."

Of course, it was left to Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni to admit that "sometimes also civilians pay the price," an argument she would not make, of course, if the fatality statistics were reversed. Indeed, it was instructive yesterday to hear a member of the American Enterprise Institute – faithfully parroting Israel's arguments – defending the outrageous Palestinian death toll by saying that it was "pointless to play the numbers game". Yet if more than 300 Israelis had been killed – against two dead Palestinians – be sure that the "numbers game" and the disproportionate violence would be all too relevant. The simple fact is that Palestinian deaths matter far less than Israeli deaths. True, we know that 180 of the dead were Hamas members. But what of the rest? If the UN's conservative figure of 57 civilian fatalities is correct, the death toll is still a disgrace.

To find both the US and Britain failing to condemn the Israeli onslaught while blaming Hamas is not surprising. US Middle East policy and Israeli policy are now indistinguishable and Gordon Brown is following the same dog-like devotion to the Bush administration as his predecessor.

As usual, the Arab satraps – largely paid and armed by the West – are silent, preposterously calling for an Arab summit on the crisis which will (if it even takes place), appoint an "action committee" to draw up a report which will never be written. For that is the way with the Arab world and its corrupt rulers. As for Hamas, they will, of course, enjoy the discomfiture of the Arab potentates while cynically waiting for Israel to talk to them. Which they will. Indeed, within a few months, we'll be hearing that Israel and Hamas have been having "secret talks" – just as we once did about Israel and the even more corrupt PLO. But by then, the dead will be long buried and we will be facing the next crisis since the last crisis.

The Palestinians are clearly not going to get it back now. Israel is there, and will continue to exist. They may as well be helped to better lives elsewhere rather than continuing an endless victim-and-despair cult of suicide bombers in overcrowded Gaza.

When you look at the area of the Jewish state compared with the Moslem lands of the surrounding area it puts things into perspective.

Giles..

A BBC reporter suggests....
This conclusion is inevitable in the face of a determination by the Israeli government that it faces an unacceptable threat from Gaza that must be dealt with.

By delaying ground operations for a week, it gave Hamas a chance to back down and call a halt to the firing of rockets into Israel. But Hamas chose confrontation, probably fearing that to do otherwise would be to show weakness.
BBC link
Paul.Reynolds-INTERNET @bbc.co.uk

I have taken the liberty of replying to him.

"How wonderful for you that you live in such a place that you can be paid for your..opinion.

No suede in that wallet, one trusts."

Thanks. I rest my case.

That you turned it into a chicken and egg argument and now feel justified that any actions taken by one side are ok.

You are an utter arsehole who fails to see the complexity of a situation instead wanting to cry...but he hit me first!!

What are you six?

I came across this interesting article via a link on Sic Semper Tyrannis, the author was apparently in the IDF during the first invasion of Lebanon, but has seemingly changed his views a bit since ...

Those who are familiar intimately with Israeli people realise that they are completely uninformed about the roots of the conflict that dominates their lives. Rather often Israelis manage to come up with some bizarre arguments that may make a lot of sense within the Israeli discourse, yet make no sense whatsoever outside of the Jewish street. Such an argument goes as follows: ‘those Palestinians, why do they insist upon living on our land (Israel), why can’t they just settle in Egypt, Syria, Lebanon or any other Arab country?’ Another Hebraic pearl of wisdom sounds like this: ‘what is wrong with these Palestinians? We gave them water, electricity, education and all they do is try to throw us to the sea’.

Astonishingly enough, the Israelis even within the so-called ‘left’ and even the educated ‘left’ fail to understand who the Palestinians are, where they come from and what they stand for. They fail to grasp that for the Palestinians, Palestine is home. Miraculously, the Israelis manage to fail to grasp that Israel had been erected at the expense of the Palestinian people, on Palestinian land, on Palestinian villages, towns, fields and orchards. The Israelis do not realise that Palestinians in Gaza and in refugee camps in the region are actually dispossessed people from Ber Shive, Yafo, Tel Kabir, Shekh Munis, Lod, Haifa, Jerusalem and many more towns and villages. If you wonder how come the Israelis don’t know their history, the answer is pretty simple, they have never been told. The circumstances that led to the Israeli Palestinian conflict are well hidden within their culture. Traces of pre-1948 Palestinian civilisation on the land had been wiped out. Not only the Nakba, the 1948 ethnic cleansing of the indigenous Palestinians, is not part of the Israeli curriculum, it is not even mentioned or discussed in any Israeli official or academic forum.

In the very centre of almost every Israeli town one can a find a 1948 memorial statue displaying a very bizarre, almost abstract, pipe work. The plumbing feature is called Davidka and it is actually a 1948 Israeli mortar cannon. Interestingly enough, the Davidka was an extremely ineffective weapon. Its shells wouldn’t reach more than 300 meters and would cause very limited damage. Though the Davidika would cause just minimal harm, it produced a lot of noise. According to the Israeli official historical narrative, the Arabs i.e., Palestinians, simply ran away for their lives once they heard the Davidka from afar. According to the Israeli narrative, the Jews i.e., ‘new Israelis’ did a bit of fireworks and the ‘Arab cowards’ just ran off like idiots. In the Israeli official narrative there is no mention of the many orchestrated massacres conducted by the young IDF and the paramilitary units that preceded it. There is no mention also of the racist laws that stop Palestinians[1] from returning to their homes and lands.

The meaning of the above is pretty simple. Israelis are totally unfamiliar with the Palestinian cause. Hence, they can only interpret the Palestinian struggle as a murderous irrational lunacy. Within the Israeli Judeo- centric solipsistic universe, the Israeli is an innocent victim and the Palestinian is no less than a savage murderer.

This grave situation that leaves the Israeli in the dark regarding his past demolishes any possibility of future reconciliation. Since the Israeli lacks the minimal comprehension of the conflict, he cannot contemplate any possible resolution except extermination or cleansing of the ‘enemy’. All the Israeli is entitled to know are various phantasmic narratives of Jewish suffering. Palestinian pain is completely foreign to his ears. ‘Palestinian right of return’ sounds to him like an amusing idea. Even the most advanced ‘Israeli humanists’ are not ready to share the land with its indigenous inhabitants. This doesn’t leave the Palestinians with many options but to liberate themselves against all odds. Clearly, there is no partner for peace on the Israel side.
source

the most upsetting thing was reading a blog post by a palestinian who said that she never wanted to see the star of david again, she would rather die than see it again, because of what Israel had caused and what it represented to her.
Link please.

The Palestinians are clearly not going to get it back now. Israel is there, and will continue to exist. They may as well be helped to better lives elsewhere rather than continuing an endless victim-and-despair cult of suicide bombers in overcrowded Gaza.

When you look at the area of the Jewish state compared with the Moslem lands of the surrounding area it puts things into perspective.

Giles..

Exactly. And if palestinians had won the war I doubt they'd be any kinder.

frogwoman said:
it isn't just about the occuptation mate - it is about the utter failure of israel to abide by international laws since its inception, its denial of the right of even palestinians living in israel proper to live as equal citizens while presenting itself as a "democracy" and a "jewish homeland", and not only not be punished but be cheered on by the west for doing so. what you are basically saying is that because it is more "practical" to impose more punitive conditions on the palestinians (as if they havent suffered enough) we should do so. this ignores the criminal responsibility of the state of israel in the whole affair, it prevents israel from having to do anything. why should palestinians be persuaded to move somewhere else so that israel can steal every single last bit of palestinian land? why shoudl they be sent to live as second class citizens in some fucking corrupt saudi arabia-lite shithole just to satisfy the whims of the people who want the world to forget that there was ever such things as palestinians in the first place?

Apart from what you say about the denial of the right of palestinians who are israeli citizens to live as equal citizens, (which I think you're mainly wrong about though not entirely,) I think what you're saying there is basically right.

But you're looking at this from a moral point of view, and I'm not, I'm looking at it from a utilitarian point of view because in this version of reality, right and wrong seem to be increasingly meaningless concepts, because there is no plan that's going to enable things to turn out right that's actually happening any more. And if it's impossible for what's right to happen, then I suppose we should look for the least worst outcome possible. :confused: I actually really sympathise with what you say, and feel rather ashamed to have become so cynical that I advocate a utilitarian strategy rather than pushing the issue of right and wrong.

But what good is punishing people.? Don't you see something ironic in condemning the israeli government for collectively punishing palestinians and then demanding that the israeli people be collectively punished with sanctions.

I have to admit I am biased in favour of the jewish people in this issue, - but I try to be objective about it, - and tbh I think that some people who love to get fired up on one side or other, ignore the history, ignore the experience of the two peoples, and don't see the complexity and apparent irresolvability of the situation.

When I talked to israeli friends after this incident with the zionist farmer, their view was that he deserved it because he was a zionist, and was well known for having antagonised his arab neighbours since he became their neighbour. Their view was that this was why the police wouldn't investigate his complaint, even though it was perfectly true that the neighboring arabs were stealing his cattle and burning his fields, so that he had to employ a full time watcher. They reckoned the police reckoned he'd brought it on himself. Hardly the actions of an institutionally discriminatory and corrupt police force, - I'd give a lot to have an english police force with such discernment.

I suppose I mainly met left-wing israelis, who were all generally uncomfortable about the actions of their government, - but all the same, many of them felt that although what the government and armed forces was doing was wrong, they didn't really have any alternative given the tremendous hatred that the palestinians had for jewish people. I remember asking why Israel couldn't make all palestinians citizens and have a one state solution, and being told by some that it would be a disaster since the palestinians would vote in a government that would persecute the jews, and on the other, quite reasonable jewish israelis telling me that this was exactly what most jewish israelis had once wanted, and offered to the palestinians, when they offered citizenship to all palestinians, only to have it rejected by most palestinians, who at the time were more interested in destroying Israel altogether rather than being citizens. If that's true, and I think it is, as various believable people told me it was, it seems to be something that's quite ignored by some people who can only see the palestinian point of view.

Most interesting of all was the comment of at least one guy I met who said he'd come to Israel as a zionist, and that's where his sympathies were, but, that these days, he thought the israeli government was in the pay of the rich elite and were cynically keeping the conflict going in order to distract political attention from their main policy of shafting the poor, both israeli and palestinian for the benefit of the rich.

But I wanted to come back to you on that post when I reread it because I don't think I gave it a proper response before, and besides which I wanted to make it clear again, that although I may have given an impression to the contrary, I do regard what the israeli government is doing in gaza as criminal. I know I said that already, but there you go, - really one-sided views about the whole thing these days do get my goat a bit.

Tbh I guess the israeli government want to get this done before Obama starts his presidency, in case he changes policy.

Exactly. And if palestinians had won the war I doubt they'd be any kinder.
It's a bit like saying the Jews would have done the same to the Germans if they'd won.

But that's a fallacy and not borne out by the historical record. The Zionists stated many times that they wanted rid of the Arabs, but no such plans existed among Palestinians. The majority were peasants attached only to their villages, and if anything defended only their immediate livelihoods, often not even doing that, with the result that 750,000 of them were expelled.

"If the Arabs leave it, the country will become wide and spacious for us . . . The only solution is a land of Israel, at least a western land of Israel, without Arabs. There is no room here for compromises . . . There is no way but to transfer all the Arabs from here to the neighbouring countries, to transfer them all, save perhaps for Bethlehem, Nazareth and old Jerusalem. Not one village must be left, not one tribe.” 20 Dec 1940. Yosef Weitz (leading member of the JA’s Transfer Committee 1937-38), My diary, II, 181

There are tons of quotes like this. I could post them all day

But you're looking at this from a moral point of view, and I'm not, I'm looking at it from a utilitarian point of view because in this version of reality, right and wrong seem to be increasingly meaningless concepts, because there is no plan that's going to enable things to turn out right that's actually happening any more. And if it's impossible for what's right to happen, then I suppose we should look for the least worst outcome possible. :confused:
Sorry, that's just bullshit. You can't just say 'I'm not looking at this from a moral viewpoint' because your view point does contain a moral starting point which is to legitimise the status quo.

Plenty of people are for a solution that is centred on Israel fulfilling its obligations and ending its occupation of the WB and Gaza and for equal rights within pre-67 Israel. And it's very simple - you're either for that or against it, tbh.

<snip> I remember asking why Israel couldn't make all palestinians citizens and have a one state solution, and being told by some that it would be a disaster since the palestinians would vote in a government that would persecute the jews, and on the other, quite reasonable jewish israelis telling me that this was exactly what most jewish israelis had once wanted, and offered to the palestinians, when they offered citizenship to all palestinians, only to have it rejected by most palestinians, who at the time were more interested in destroying Israel altogether rather than being citizens. If that's true, and I think it is, as various believable people told me it was, it seems to be something that's quite ignored by some people who can only see the palestinian point of view. <snip>
Some interesting historical claims there ...

Some interesting historical claims there ...
It's a myth that Rachamim used to trot out which he never produced evidence for either.

Demos - can you tell us when this offer of citizenship was made?

I know there was an offer made to a small proportion of the refugees around 1950, which was made by Israel under international pressure. I suspect this has been transformed into a national myth of Israel offering all refugees citizenship and those perfidious Arabs turning it down

Giles..

Ah, this reminds me of times gone by: where those at the bottom tugged their forelocks in deference. It's also easier to adopt the line that Israel is correct and the Palestinians are all bomb-throwing "Moslems". You clearly have no clue about the Palestinians, if you did, you would know that there are also Xtian Palestinians in those territories that are occupied by the Israelis.

But it's easier for you to exist in a bubble of perpetual wilful ignorance where the world is easily explained by Mani's doctrine (Manichaenism).

No, and I expect my mental impression of what apartheid South Africa was like, formed by films like Cry Freedom, and various highly publicised news events is probably mainly quite inaccurate.

Is this a defence/apology for apartheid? Were you one of those people who wore "Hang Mandela" T-shirts in the 80's? I'll bet you were.

The Palestinians are clearly not going to get it back now. Israel is there, and will continue to exist. They may as well be helped to better lives elsewhere rather than continuing an endless victim-and-despair cult of suicide bombers in overcrowded Gaza. ..

Up to a point I agree with you. They either need to be given financial and other support to become normal Arab Israeli citizens or live elsewhere if there cannot be a peaceful resolution to the Gaza problem after the destruction of Hamas. I quite acknowledge that there were unfortunate incidents of violence at the recreation of the state of Israel but I believe a lot of the drive for this of this was caused by a genuine fear of attack from Arabs.

However, where I disagree with you is the use of force to make them move that would be ethnic cleansing.

The Palestinians could be so much better but they have been the victims of war and conflict, manipulation by venal demagogic leaders, facistic Islamism, etc etc. This has meant that some (the Palestinians I've met basically want a peaceful two state solution or recogniton of their situation) have spiraled down into a nhilistic cult of suicide bombing, victimhood, Jew hating and despair.

Implict and explicit

Implicit in your rather deluded notion Demos is that might is right - you call it utilitarian - well certain the "utility", ie usefulness of your position devolves entirely on Israel - though I suspect you actually concieve what you mean more in terms of pragmatism - that the Israelis are not moving so the palestinians had netter learn to live with it.
I assume that is the postion you would take if a gang of crack dealers moved into your front room and started to do their business form there as you do not see any ethical basis for contesting the usurpation of your home - based on your own analysis
You quote the case of one farmer and extrapolate that to mean that the Israeli police are the embodiments of justice and fair play in all situations - I have been treated fairly by the Police in the UK at times, while also having my front teeth punched out at others - are the Israelis such angels in your view that this does not hold true for them also?
Also implicit in your view is that those Israeli frineds of yours are actually in possesion of all the facts and are somehow entirely objective in their opinions - a curious assumption
What is explicit are Israels actions having turffed out the indegenous peoples they now hold the power of life and death over them in the tiny little Bantustans/Reservations they have allowed them - can you really be surprised if these people ATTEMPT to fight back?
Though you may wish to remove yourself from ethical conciderations I think also implicit in your thought:
"I have to admit I am biased in favour of the jewish people in this issue, - but I try to be objective about it, - and tbh I think that some people who love to get fired up on one side or other, ignore the history, ignore the experience of the two peoples, and don't see the complexity and apparent irresolvability of the situation."
Why are you biased?
Do you feel some sort of guilt or sympathy for Israel because of the historical persucution of the Jews? This persecution was primarily at the hands of Europeans so guilt has a justifiable ehtical root, but when then is it OK to take it out on the Palestinians
As for the historical experiences of "the two peoples" what did the Palestinians ever do to deserve having their country stolen?
A quick read thru the Bible shows that Israel took the land by force in the first place - my personal feeling is that they were the persecuted followers of Aknahtens' monothesist faith, where god is light - something that in Kabbalah is still see as a prime tenet.
Explicitly you ablsove yourself from any moral or ethical judgemenst, but in fact the implied meaning and the assumptions on which you conclusions are based is riddled with them
You need to think harder
By the way a corollary of your conclusion is that it would be perfectly fair for the Arab countries to band together and drive Israel into the sea.
I doubt you want that but it ought to show you just how muddled your logic is

Up to a point I agree with you. They either need to be given financial and other support to become normal Arab Israeli citizens or live elsewhere if there cannot be a peaceful resolution to the Gaza problem after the destruction of Hamas. I quite acknowledge that there were unfortunate incidents of violence at the recreation of the state of Israel but I believe a lot of the drive for this of this was caused by a genuine fear of attack from Arabs.

However, where I disagree with you is the use of force to make them move that would be ethnic cleansing.

The Palestinians could be so much better but they have been the victims of war and conflict, manipulation by venal demagogic leaders, facistic Islamism, etc etc. This has meant that some (the Palestinians I've met basically want a peaceful two state solution or recogniton of their situation) have spiraled down into a nhilistic cult of suicide bombing, victimhood, Jew hating and despair.

How very one-sided. Nice narrative, Mr Regev.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom