Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wimbledon 2023

Yes. Rooting for Gauff here, I have to say.

I also really enjoyed Williams v Svitolina earlier, fascinating play. And astounding that Williams produced such high quality tennis after that hideous fall :eek: The woman is a warrior.

I only caught the very end of Kenin v Gauff due to watching Stan Wawrinka (now 38!) winning his first round match in straight sets. :thumbs:

(I did manage to see Coco live at Eastbourne last week though).

Looks potentially very rainy tomorrow so don't expect an awful lot of play.

As long as Cliff Richard doesn't sing.

Why is Wimbledon so late this year? I'm sure it's always begun in June at least.

Why is Wimbledon so late this year? I'm sure it's always begun in June at least.
i think the confusing thing has been how warm the weather has been this year already - my rule of thumb is summer weather starts when wimbledon finishes - this year has been insane

Another great match between Halys and Evans. Halys was all over him y/day going 2 sets up but a far more even game today.

As long as Cliff Richard doesn't sing.

yeah it's a week later. Always used to be last week of June, first of July. They've added a week in between the French and Wimbledon to lengthen the grass court season.

Watched a bit of Murray v Peniston today. I don't like the way wildcards get doled to British players. Peniston wasn't bad exactly. He was just not quite good enough in any department for this level. Murray looked great, but it's hard to tell exactly how great with an opponent ranked 200 places below him.

Watched a bit of Murray v Peniston today. I don't like the way wildcards get doled to British players. Peniston wasn't bad exactly. He was just not quite good enough in any department for this level. Murray looked great, but it's hard to tell exactly how great with an opponent ranked 200 places below him.
Yes, I watched a lot of that but gave up in favour of Norrie v Machac as the Murray v Peniston match was so one-sided!

Not a lot of play today at all, but caught the last sets of Etcheverry v Zapata Miralles which was very exciting.

Thank heavens for the roof. I've been trying to think who the 2020's answer to Cliff Richard is. :eek::D

Thiem v Tsitsipas - another great match.

Great thing is I don’t know who any of these players are.
Great game, I have heard of Tsitsipas before.

I didn't know they had final set tie breaks. When were they introduced?

Enjoying the game between former Arsenal midfielder Liam Brady and Casper Ruud. Broady was down 3-1 and 40-15 and looked finished, but managed to come back to win the first set 6-4.

What a game!
Can't believe that not only did Broady win, he bagelled Ruud in the fifth set!

Been out most of the day but got in just in time to see the last bit of Murray v Tsitsipas - such a shame it had to be postponed. I think things go on much later in other slams, but maybe they're in less residential (or nobby) areas.

Can't believe that not only did Broady win, he bagelled Ruud in the fifth set!

Been out most of the day but got in just in time to see the last bit of Murray v Tsitsipas - such a shame it had to be postponed. I think things go on much later in other slams, but maybe they're in less residential (or nobby) areas.
I thought I'd dip into the Broady/Ruud match while I was working yesterday. I got hardly any work done at all! I was riveted to match. :D

Liam's a decent bloke - always takes the time to interact with his fans. Despite saying his phone blew up after the match he still took the time to respond individually to the messages he received.

Does Wimbledon usually clash with the Ashes? 🤔
I keep going into pubs trying to catch some tennis, but they are all showing the cricket. Am reduced to sitting in a pub garden listening to Wimbledon coverage on the radio on my headphones.

The thing with Murray is that off court he’s not only likeable and polite, but an active promoter of gender equality and other Good Things. So a good apple by all accounts, if a bit dull.

But on court he has always behaved like a mouthy prick. He clearly has some anger/ mental frailty issues, and triggered by the most trivial matters as well.

I watched him at Surbiton a few weeks ago, and his team were seating a couple of rows in front. Pretty much after every point he lost, even when he was a set and a break up and clearly on top, he would complain about something or other, and his team would shout ’come on mate’ and similar words of encouragement. Hell, his opponent won an inconsequential point due to a netcord, and we could hear Murray shouting to himself ‘Don’t get frustrated!’ Wow…

Back
Top Bottom