Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

On Sunday, anti-corruption police said they had detained the deputy infrastructure minister on suspicion of receiving a $400,000 kickback over the import of generators last September, an allegation the minister denies.

A newspaper investigation accused the defence ministry of overpaying suppliers for soldiers’ food. The supplier has said it made a technical mistake and no money had changed hands.

On Sunday, anti-corruption police said they had detained the deputy infrastructure minister on suspicion of receiving a $400,000 kickback over the import of generators last September, an allegation the minister denies.

A newspaper investigation accused the defence ministry of overpaying suppliers for soldiers’ food. The supplier has said it made a technical mistake and no money had changed hands.
I wonder just how much military equipment has been stolen and sold. We will see bits turning up all over the world I think.

• The deputy head of Ukraine’s presidential office, Kyrylo Tymoshenko, said on Tuesday he had asked President Volodymyr Zelenskiy on Monday to relieve him of his duties as part of a wave of government resignations and dismissals. The move comes amid a corruption scandal which saw Infrastructure deputy Vasyl Lozinskyi sacked and detained for an alleged theft of $400,000 from the winter aid budget. Tymoshenko, 33, had been the deputy head of presidential office since 2019, overseeing regions and regional policies. He also worked with Zelenskiy during his election campaign, overseeing media and creative content.

Further reports today of thievery and corruption.
  • Ukraine’s deputy defence minister Vyacheslav Shapovalov, responsible for supplying troops with food and equipment, has also resigned, citing “media accusations” of corruption that he and the ministry say are baseless. A statement on the defence ministry’s website said Shapovalov’s resignation was “a worthy deed” that would help retain trust in the ministry
  • Deputy prosecutor general Oleksiy Symonenko has been removed from his post, according to the prosecutor general’s office, and two deputy ministers resigned from Ukraine’s ministry of communities and territories Development – Vyacheslav Negoda and Ivan Lukerya. Reportedly the heads of five regional authorities have also been dismissed, in Dnipropetrovsk, Zaporizhzhya, Kyiv, Sumy and Kherson.

I wonder just how much military equipment has been stolen and sold. We will see bits turning up all over the world I think.
The only evidence so far of military equipment turning up outside of Ukraine was when a Russian soldier back from the front line managed to blow up his own car with a stolen grenade launcher last year.

Further reports today of thievery and corruption.
  • Ukraine’s deputy defence minister Vyacheslav Shapovalov, responsible for supplying troops with food and equipment, has also resigned, citing “media accusations” of corruption that he and the ministry say are baseless. A statement on the defence ministry’s website said Shapovalov’s resignation was “a worthy deed” that would help retain trust in the ministry
  • Deputy prosecutor general Oleksiy Symonenko has been removed from his post, according to the prosecutor general’s office, and two deputy ministers resigned from Ukraine’s ministry of communities and territories Development – Vyacheslav Negoda and Ivan Lukerya. Reportedly the heads of five regional authorities have also been dismissed, in Dnipropetrovsk, Zaporizhzhya, Kyiv, Sumy and Kherson.
Will you be updating us with reports of Russian thievery and corruption too?

The only evidence so far of military equipment turning up outside of Ukraine was when a Russian soldier back from the front line managed to blow up his own car with a stolen grenade launcher last year.

not so. Poland top cop accidentally set off grenade launcher given by Ukraine

Will you be updating us with reports of Russian thievery and corruption too?
I haven’t seen any such reports of Russian politicians stealing winter aid money, generator money, troops food supplies. I only really look in the Guardian though. I doubt you would accept quotes from RT on Urban.

Europol have been working with Ukraine since spring last year over a number of issues including criminal activities and the war including weapons trafficking and the exploitation of Ukrainian refugees by criminal gangs.

I think there's probably more room for debate on Ukraine's efforts to root out corruption because it seems to be a given that the Russian system is riddled with corruption from the bottom to the very top and there's no chance of that changing until the government changes.
A given? Do elucidate?

And the Polish pig who fired a grenade launcher in his office.

I quite fancy one of these grenade launcher things. I'll keep an eye out down the boot sale

eta. Pickman's model gets there first

And the Polish pig who fired a grenade launcher in his office.

I quite fancy one of these grenade launcher things. I'll keep an eye out down the boot sale
True, though that was gifted, for some strange reason. Not sure there's any evidence of western weapons being stolen - I understand they're being very tightly controlled, not least because Ukrainians want to actually win the war, which they can't do if they cream off weapons supplies.

Back
Top Bottom