Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Hopefully this means they've not had time to booby trap the whole city or kidnap all its inhabitants. They mostly seem to have focussed on looting tbh.
Do they even have the munitions to engage in extensive booby trapping before a withdrawal? From all we keep hearing about their overstretched supply lines it seems their soldiers might have nothing more than their own poop to leave behind.

seem to have had enough munitions & time to blow up a lot of bridges.

which includes two spans of the Antonivsky Bridge,

Russia's artillery strategy is to carpet areas with shells, hence their prodigious need for the logistics to supply them. A bridge can be mined with smaller amounts of explosive by comparison, so it doesn't surprise me that they might have enough to do demolitions, without having enough to launch full-scale artillery barrages (and, of course, the munitions are likely to be different, unless they're into IED territory).

Russia's artillery strategy is to carpet areas with shells, hence their prodigious need for the logistics to supply them. A bridge can be mined with smaller amounts of explosive by comparison, so it doesn't surprise me that they might have enough to do demolitions, without having enough to launch full-scale artillery barrages (and, of course, the munitions are likely to be different, unless they're into IED territory).

Some sapper within the Russian ranks undoubtedly been carting around a load of er... cemtekc? thinking 'fucking finally, my chance to shine'.

I'm sure there are going to be plenty of feel-good videos of Kherson's liberation coming out over the next few days. Here are a couple already:

Such fantastic news that one of the biggest cities occupied by Russian forces is now free again, hopefully relatively unscathed (although who knows what will be found over the coming weeks and months of those who have disappeared :()

I'm sure there are going to be plenty of feel-good videos of Kherson's liberation coming out over the next few days. Here are a couple already:

Such fantastic news that one of the biggest cities occupied by Russian forces is now free again, hopefully relatively unscathed (although who knows what will be found over the coming weeks and months of those who have disappeared :()

Great to see. Also looks like the centre of the city has escaped much of the destruction other places suffered. Hope the same can be said for the people.

I remember the bravery the people of Kherson showed back in the spring, very happy for them.

Great to see. Also looks like the centre of the city has escaped much of the destruction other places suffered. Hope the same can be said for the people.

I remember the bravery the people of Kherson showed back in the spring, very happy for them.

I remember that woman in the Kherson region who confronted a Russian soldier on the first day of the invasion and told him to put sunflower seeds in his pockets - her city is still in a Russian-occupied area, unfortunately.

terminal or otherwise
I get the impression that the Ukrainians are actually following the various Conventions.
In other words, injured / captured personnel are being treated properly.

I recall that there were quite a few clips, back in the early stages of the war, of captured personnel being fed, given hot drinks and allowed to 'phone home.

Back
Top Bottom