Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

The chances of any genuine breakthroughs in Ukrainian negotiations with the Putin regime at this point are probably about the same as as those of a person attempting to bargain with a python that's trying to swallow them.
I hadn't noticed talk of "fatigue" before - thats a big word from the diplomatic dictionary.
At this point clearly zero breakthrough of course, but no one is talking about breakthrough.

The strong do what they can; the weak do what they must whether there are pythons or not.

Last edited:
I hadn't noticed talk of "fatigue" before - thats a big word from the diplomatic dictionary.
At this point clearly zero breakthrough of course, but no one is talking about breakthrough.

"Ukraine fatigue' isn't that new a term - Johnson was talking about it in June:

The same month, this political science professor was talking about "Ukraine fatigue" fatigue;

I think the fact that this single Washington Post story citing an anonymous source was spread so widely - and misinterpreted by al-Jazeera, probably among others - shows how in the dark we are about any possible diplomatic effotts to end this war.

I think the fact that this single Washington Post story citing an anonymous source was spread so widely - and misinterpreted by al-Jazeera, probably among others - shows how in the dark we are about any possible diplomatic effotts to end this war.
fair

also how much everyone projects their own perceptions onto the shadows

Isn't that Guardian article just another take on the anonymously sourced Washington Post story?

According to the Post's sources, the gist of the US request seems to be for Ukraine to reassure wavering allies by saying that talks with the Putin regime haven't been completely ruled out. Which is something I guess Ukraine could do, though of course the conditions that would be required for these talks don't currently exist and probably never will exist while Putin is in charge. Russia very clearly cannot be trusted to abide by the terms of any agreement, and it will treat any agreed-upon pause in fighting as an opportunity to reinforce ahead of a new offensive.

The chances of any genuine breakthroughs in Ukrainian negotiations with the Putin regime at this point are probably about the same as as those of a person attempting to bargain with a python that's trying to swallow them.

I take your point, you'd probably need some third party intervention with a large python tbh. Pythons rarely consider humans prey and don't understand human language, the person would be dead before any attempt to swallow and finally, the size of most humans' shoulders would prevent them from being swallowed, . Might have happened in the 1930s though as most current analogies about Russia are linked with that decade.

I take your point, you'd probably need some third party intervention with a large python tbh. Pythons rarely consider humans prey and don't understand human language, the person would be dead before any attempt to swallow and finally, the size of most humans' shoulders would prevent them from being swallowed, . Might have happened in the 1930s though as most current analogies about Russia are linked with that decade.

Yes, if you're going to get technical about the analogy, by the time you're being swallowed it is far too late - if you are in the grip of a python or other constrictor what you need to do is grab it just above the base of the tail and slowly but firmly unwrap it, unfortunately it is probably far too late for Ukraine to attempt this move.

A reticulated python ate a woman in Indonesia a few weeks ago. It doesn't happen frequently but it's far from unheard of. (Sorry, not the point I know but my inner pedant just couldn't leave it be :oops:)

Two weeks ago. Probably made the news as its a rare occurance though

eta. Like iona said

If the republicans get in at the midterms its likely that support will drop tbf
The imminent midterms must be a source of significant concern for the Ukrainians. If the Republicans do take control of the US congress, that spineless fuckstick Kevin McCarthy will immediately fold to the demands of Taylor-Greene and the rest of the psycho wing of the GOP...

In non-herpetological developments, American officials have confirmed lines of communication with the Kremlin remain open, but they haven't said anything about pushing Ukraine toward negotiations.

Speaking in New York, Mr Sullivan said it was "in the interests" of the US to maintain contact with the Kremlin. But he insisted officials were "clear-eyed about who we are dealing with".

...Mr Sullivan told a public event in New York that the Biden administration had "an obligation to pursue accountability" and pledged to work with international partners to "hold the perpetrators of grave and grotesque war crimes in Ukraine responsible for what they have done".

Gosub couldn't give a coherent answer when I asked them on Monday why they'd brought up Rostov, so I wouldn't hold out much hope now.
I'm assuming it's some kind of counter-example - "we're banging on about what Russia has done to Ukraine, but what about Rostov?". So, in the absence of any attempt to support the point, maybe it's just whataboutery. 🤷‍♂️

It was because someone I think challenged Liz Truss as to whether Ukraine should liberate Rostov Oblast, which she replied yes to, even though it’s part of Russia proper. Think it might have been a Russian official doing it to make her look stupid (not the hardest job tbh). Something like that anyway, so I assume that’s the joke reference in the post above that’s gone over people’s heads.

I'd assume the Putin' s response to being asked to return territory even Crimea and pay reparations will be along the lines of "Over my dead body!"

I also don't think any budget for Ukraine will get tabled in Congress come January

Tea anyone?

Last edited:
I'd assume the Putin' s response to being asked to return territory even Crimea and pay reparations will be along the lines of "Over my dead body!"

I also don't think any budget for Ukraine will get tabled in Congress come January

Tea anyone?
There’s fairly strong bipartisan support for Ukraine, only a few trumpist headcases are shilling for Putin, so I think they’ll be OK. The pricks do get a lot of media coverage simply because it’s good clickbait for the ‘fake news media’.

Back
Top Bottom