Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

I think that the Dnipro usually freezes in January so they could leg it then if they last that long. The Ukrainians will need to be wary before entering Kherson as the dam could be blown, parts of the city booby-trapped & some Russians may be masquerading as civilians now that many of the original occupants have been moved out.
I suspect that's what Russia (thinks it) has set up. Lots of defensive positions in the city, booby traps (which you don't want civilians activating), Stalingrad-style last ditch defence nonsense.

If Ukraine can encircle the city, they can pretty much starve the defenders out. I don't suppose it was exactly overflowing with goodies after 8 months of Russian occupation :hmm:

hearing that the Russian pontoon bridge across the Dnipro has been done again. might not be accurate but yeh. back to ferries then. its going to be a bloodbath if the russians cannot get out sharpish if needed. fucking hell.Its also gonna be crucial in getting hardware across to Kherson as well
Certainly, in the past, they've been targeting the assembly area on the end of the bridge, not so much the bridge itself. Which makes sense.

I suspect that's what Russia (thinks it) has set up. Lots of defensive positions in the city, booby traps (which you don't want civilians activating), Stalingrad-style last ditch defence nonsense.

If Ukraine can encircle the city, they can pretty much starve the defenders out. I don't suppose it was exactly overflowing with goodies after 8 months of Russian occupation :hmm:
the thing with stalingrad was the russians were able to resupply across the volga. whether that can be achieved here remains to be seen

Tankie as used in the present has been revived by social media-dwelling youths to handily identify the resurgent Marxism-Leninism/Stalinism of their contemporaries. Like others have posted, it derives from defenders of Soviet imperialism, starting with the Hungarian intervention to crush the uprising of 1956, and extends to the crude anti-imperialism of the mid-late twentieth century.

This chap has done a bit of desktop research on its origins and first sightings

This chap has done a bit of desktop research on its origins and first sightings

Making the point that 'tankies' were one faction in the old CP. My own experience of former CP members was that it was a rather broader church than any of the smaller far left groupings, ranging from 'tankies' at one extreme, to what I think of as "tough love" liberals at another. The use of the term by some anarchists to describe all members of the CP is a bit silly.

All those convicts recruited from Russian prisons to fight for Wagner a couple of months back? Over 500 dead already - just being fed into the meat grinder in the east for no Russian gains whatsoever.

Russia's losses must be just huge.

All those convicts recruited from Russian prisons to fight for Wagner a couple of months back? Over 500 dead already - just being fed into the meat grinder in the east for no Russian gains whatsoever.

There's also reports of convict recruits being petty brutally treated by Wagner to keep them in line. The original reports come from a Russian based anti-torture NGO - https://gulagu.net/ who I know nothing about, so ain't too sure about the quality of the source, but it doesn't seem inconceivable given Wagners past behaviour.

I’ve got a neighbour whose family are Ukrainian , she was born here in Portugal . They showed me a video of Ukrainian graves , hundreds of them all with flowers and flags .We are probably all accustomed now to seeing videos of rockets hitting troops , tanks, residential areas but the videos and photos of the graveyards are in someways more horrifying .

Making the point that 'tankies' were one faction in the old CP. My own experience of former CP members was that it was a rather broader church than any of the smaller far left groupings, ranging from 'tankies' at one extreme, to what I think of as "tough love" liberals at another. The use of the term by some anarchists to describe all members of the CP is a bit silly.
Language changes over time though, and particularly after the Eurocommunism split the crusty end of the party was the one left in charge. It's not particularly strange that a catchy sobriquet originally aimed at one wing was later expanded (not just by anarchists, fyi) to include the broader set.

And as someone who has met quite a lot of the CPB's leading lights over the years, you might be surprised how representative "tankie" actually is. Their formal repudiation of Stalinism may be official policy, but it's not felt in the heart. As for the YCL, they absolutely revel in it.

Last edited:
Language changes over time though, and particularly after the Eurocommunism split the crusty end of the party was the one left in charge. It's not particularly strange that a catchy sobriquet originally aimed at one wing was later expanded (not just by anarchists, fyi) to include the broader set.

And as someone who has met quite a lot of the CPB's leading lights over the years, you might be surprised how representative "tankie" actually is. Their formal repudiation of Stalinism may be official policy, but it's not felt in the heart. As for the YCL, they absolutely revel in it.
Let’s not confuse the CPB with the CPGB though . The former is a small rump the latter was at one time ( whether people like it or not) , the biggest and most influential revolutionary organisation in the U.K. Lurdan was addressing the latter .

Let’s not confuse the CPB with the CPGB though . The former is a small rump the latter was at one time ( whether people like it or not) , the biggest and most influential revolutionary organisation in the U.K. Lurdan was addressing the latter .
I'm not. I'm disputing the "is a bit silly" line by pointing out that modern use is not necessarily beholden to what was technically accurate 50 years ago, and even using its original meaning it's probably not as far as all that off being technically accurate (albeit accidentally), given what the CPB is now.

Last edited:

On the plus side, training is easier. And if a tank with tea making facilities had been chosen...I suggest the arguments about hobnobs and biscuit tins would have gone on for bloody ever! Up there with cheese and beans, pirates vs ninjas and plane takes off

Dreadful. What a waste of life.

Al Jazeera's "US reportedly urging Ukraine to negotiate with Russia" story is a two-line summary of a Washington Post story that quotes anonymous sources as saying the US isn't urging Ukraine to negotiate with Russia, but it wants Ukraine's leaders to "drop their public refusal to engage in peace talks unless President Vladimir Putin is removed from power."

The request by American officials is not aimed at pushing Ukraine to the negotiating table, these people said. Rather, they called it a calculated attempt to ensure the government in Kyiv maintains the support of other nations facing constituencies wary of fueling a war for many years to come.

...While U.S. officials share their Ukrainian counterparts’ assessment that Putin, for now, isn’t serious about negotiations, they acknowledge that President Volodymyr Zelensky’s ban on talks with him has generated concern in parts of Europe, Africa and Latin America, where the war’s disruptive effects on the availability and cost of food and fuel are felt most sharply.

Al Jazeera's "US reportedly urging Ukraine to negotiate with Russia" story is a two-line summary of a Washington Post story that quotes anonymous sources as saying the US isn't urging Ukraine to negotiate with Russia, but it wants Ukraine's leaders to "drop their public refusal to engage in peace talks unless President Vladimir Putin is removed from power."

The request by American officials is not aimed at pushing Ukraine to the negotiating table, these people said. Rather, they called it a calculated attempt to ensure the government in Kyiv maintains the support of other nations facing constituencies wary of fueling a war for many years to come.

...While U.S. officials share their Ukrainian counterparts’ assessment that Putin, for now, isn’t serious about negotiations, they acknowledge that President Volodymyr Zelensky’s ban on talks with him has generated concern in parts of Europe, Africa and Latin America, where the war’s disruptive effects on the availability and cost of food and fuel are felt most sharply.

Lets assume it's true. It's the first sane action by the US in some time.

On the plus side, training is easier. And if a tank with tea making facilities had been chosen...I suggest the arguments about hobnobs and biscuit tins would have gone on for bloody ever! Up there with cheese and beans, pirates vs ninjas and plane takes off
There wouldn't be an argument about biscuit tins. The hobnobs would simply be put in a biscuit tin. Can you imagine the inside of a tank with fucking hobnob wrappers all over the place? Obviously not or you wouldn't post as you do

Last edited:

Indeed, whatever you feel about the Politics, politics and personalities of CPGN (and god knows I’ve got personal issues with all three) they were the only real* mass revolutionary movement this country has had since the General Strike.

* And no, however many PDFs and leaflets get put out 15 activists and a mailing list of 1200 isn’t a mass movement… looking at no one in particular….

Another senior commander dismissed. Putin really has evicerated the new improved red army to render them no threat to his control regimeCrass comparison maybe but same situation in Germany during the 30s
Is there a case for a limit on crass comparisons with the 1930s that a site should have or do you think that the market will determine the balance ?

youre right about that framing of the washington post article but it does appear the signals from washington are stronger than that

youre right about that framing of the washington post article but it does appear the signals from washington are stronger than that

Isn't that Guardian article just another take on the anonymously sourced Washington Post story?

According to the Post's sources, the gist of the US request seems to be for Ukraine to reassure wavering allies by saying that talks with the Putin regime haven't been completely ruled out. Which is something I guess Ukraine could do, though of course the conditions that would be required for these talks don't currently exist and probably never will exist while Putin is in charge. Russia very clearly cannot be trusted to abide by the terms of any agreement, and it will treat any agreed-upon pause in fighting as an opportunity to reinforce ahead of a new offensive.

The chances of any genuine breakthroughs in Ukrainian negotiations with the Putin regime at this point are probably about the same as as those of a person attempting to bargain with a python that's trying to swallow them.

Back
Top Bottom