Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Is this a Jewish thing? I've never heard of anyone who does that, or maybe it's just because the people I knew growing up were mostly poor so wouldn't have been able to afford to buy something expensive just to sell later.

I say Jewish because it was a plot point in Russian Doll, where she had a bag of gold Krugerrands her family took when they escaped the Hungarian holocaust. Obviously this is fiction, but given the history of Jewish persecution, I imagine it might be something they feel is needed for safety/backup.
Definitely a Jewish thing , and probably lots of other people with a family history of that sort of persecution too

Given the overwhelming preference for ethnic minorities in the draft, that anger is going to find itself constrained to the women and elderly of those places, and therefore more easily suppressed. Putin kills two birds with one stone here.

Folk in Moscow and Petersburg are still very worried. 'Military experience' is pretty broad when most Russian men do national service. Mrs Frank's dad and uncle, although they're both over 50, are sweating right now. Uncle is some sort of desk jockey for Rosgvardia or OMON or one of them, but he's done proper military stuff before so is on the menu for mobilisation. But tbh I don't really give a shit what happens to him because he works for the security apparatus of a fascist regime.

Is this a Jewish thing? I've never heard of anyone who does that, or maybe it's just because the people I knew growing up were mostly poor so wouldn't have been able to afford to buy something expensive just to sell later.

I say Jewish because it was a plot point in Russian Doll, where she had a bag of gold Krugerrands her family took when they escaped the Hungarian holocaust. Obviously this is fiction, but given the history of Jewish persecution, I imagine it might be something they feel is needed for safety/backup.
It's far wider than a Jewish thing. Many groups of people have learned to maximize their options. As I typed the post in question earlier, wearing my £6.99 tracksuit bottoms from H&M and a €1 vest, on my wrist was a Boucheron gold watch that would, even if I was bargained down by a con artist who saw desperation, sell for a few thousand if required. That's as little value as I ever have secured on my person, even when I'm fast asleep.

I do have a teenage son, and if I lived somewhere likely to conscript him as cannon fodder, I would certainly be looking to sell jewellery (and myself without shame or hesitancy) to get him out before his 16th birthday. As a young thing, when I started having one night stands, I was amazed at the numbers of men who took their watches off. I just considered it a curious but amusing display of total privilege regarding their view of what the world is.

Life is more important than language skill. I doubt the queues of Russian men trying to get into Finland are fluent Finnish speakers - they just know that when you've got to go, you've got to go.

Anyway, I didn't want to talk about myself here, but I was asked directly about something I said (by a Brexiter sitting comfortably on the terrace of his Portuguese villa), and that's my answer.

Last edited:
Folk in Moscow and Petersburg are still very worried. 'Military experience' is pretty broad when most Russian men do national service. Mrs Frank's dad and uncle, although they're both over 50, are sweating right now. Uncle is some sort of desk jockey for Rosgvardia or OMON or one of them, but he's done proper military stuff before so is on the menu for mobilisation. But tbh I don't really give a shit what happens to him because he works for the security apparatus of a fascist regime.
Yeah then again Russia has the biggest number of 'guards' of any country I've ever been to. Most of which just seem to get paid to sit around outside shops and in stations doing fuck all. So he might not be that complicit I don't know

Given the overwhelming preference for ethnic minorities in the draft, that anger is going to find itself constrained to the women and elderly of those places, and therefore more easily suppressed. Putin kills two birds with one stone here.
Is that more easily suppressed? It's going to be hard to suppress a woman after you've killed her son. When the Kursk sank, it was the wives and the mothers who were shouting, on camera, at the Kremlin officials who were shocked to be so brazenly taken to task. They were only suppressed momentarily by people with syringes - but by then they'd been seen and heard, and they got the recompense and the truth they were asking for.

If Putin is relying on women putting up and shutting up, or hoping that a group of babushkas whose grandsons came home in body bags won't tear his lackeys limb from limb, he's probably in for yet more disappointment.

"Portable property" has been a thing for anyone looking to be able to make a sharp exit since time immemorial but TTBOMK it became a Jewish staple in the modern collective consciousness (pretty much up to and including the "greedy jew" stereotype) due to the huge upheavals (various pogroms and the run-up to the Holocaust, etc) of the 20th century which resulted in millions of jews escaping persecution with only what they could carry on their backs.

The "jews with jewels" thing goes all the way back to biblical times though, mostly to do with them being banned from participating in most forms of trade over the millennia; for instance, Jews used not to be allowed to own or farm land and thus ended up being pushed in to other professions which included money lending and jewel trading - professions they were allowed to participate in and were easily mobile in the event of your local populist politician wanting to kill a few thousand jews.

Since its inception, the most tolerant place for all the frequently displaced european jews was the netherlands and, owing to the migrant jewellery expertise combined with a vast trading empire, amsterdam and antwerp became the diamond-trading capital of the world from the middle ages onwards.

</derail from someone interested in gemstones and their part in history but who, perhaps ironically, finds diamonds to be quite boring>

No. Rust cannot be turned back into metal.

No, but does depend a bit on how bad and deep the rust has got, and especially if it's in the barrel and a few of the more critical internals. Entirely possible that some could be made to fire with some effort. But the more important thing is what this level of stuff indicates beyond just poor equipment; which is then poor training, poor leadership, probably no practice or zeroing, little motivation, etc. In the footage of recruits it does seem they're all at the older end of age range as well.

So they might be able to make some go 'bang' with some work. But can they then hit anything? Can they work together as a team to hit things? Will getting that level of equipment give them confidence that the medical care they might get be up to scratch? And that they can trust on support from heavy weapons? Etc. etc.

It all indicates the likely answer to all the important questions after they've fixed some of those weapons to work is probably 'no'.

It would fit with a lot of stuff I've seen from inside Russia and from the CSTO states - in Russia, mobilisation is something that's called for by the MOD, ordered by the president, but enacted by layers of local government.

Geographic areas get a quota, along with X parameters (age, skills, military experience etc..) and it's for those local authorities to fill the quota, with apparently no come back if the parameters get ignored. the first the Ru MOD knows about who is coming is when they turn up to the big reception centres - they are often only there for 24 hours before they go to field units to be trained/deployed/equipped at which point it's all too late to backtrack because X, Y, and Z units have been told they're getting A, B, and C numbers of recruits.

If you think of 18th century Press Gangs on the South Coast, you're not far off....

May or may not be true, though.

(Not saying Frogwoman is making it up, but in a situation where official information can't be trusted, all sorts of rumours might spread.)
I agree, it might not be true but a lot of people believe it. I heard this from a friend in Moscow at the weekend and then Maxim Katz said it in one of his videos. There's also been reports people are being grabbed at border queues to get out of Russia.

Back
Top Bottom