Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Have you seen any reliable on that? And is there actually more than one Ukrainian pacifist? There's some writing knocking about the internet all from the same single Ukrainian pacifist who according to people there is a loon.
I daresay that many people in England would describe most of us as loons, if ever approached by ukrainians. You need to add some flesh to the bones in your post

Reactions: tim
I daresay that many people in England would describe most of us as loons, if ever approached by ukrainians. You need to add some flesh to the bones in your post

I was asking if there was any evidence that was happening as it's a serious accusation. The word of mouth from someone there that this pacifist presents themself as a significant current when in reality they're a single person not any real group.

Shit reference (AWL) but this is the flavour of what I've heard about Ukrainian pacifists.

Have you seen any reliable on that? And is there actually more than one Ukrainian pacifist? There's some writing knocking about the internet all from the same single Ukrainian pacifist who according to people there is a loon.
It was widely reported from day one when men of fighting age were stopped from crossing the Ukrainian border with their families
This is from last month
LINK

Ukraine had the draft before this invasion, and they are using it now under martial law conditions
Person interviewed here says friends of his drafted received 5 days of training

If you search online there are plenty other sources

By most accounts FMJ had better training than the current Russian training regime
I don't think these future conscripts will be getting much more than a run around the assault course and a quick drill on pilthering white goods. At least they'll get a nize Z to wear on their recycled uniforms.

Right lads this is a gun, point that end at the Ukrainians and give this bit a good squeeze, that's plenty of training so hop on the bus. Don't worry about the red stains on your uniform they'll soon wash out.

I don't think these future conscripts will be getting much more than a run around the assault course and a quick drill on pilthering white goods. At least they'll get a nize Z to wear on their recycled uniforms.

Where they are being sent are can't imagine there are many left nick.

Not wanting to detract from the authoritative view on pacifists in Ukraine by Gloria De Piero's , the GB News presenter , former Trotskyist group, however, The European Bureau for Conscientious Objection did a useful summary on conscientious objectors for their petition to the EU this year.

There are an estimated 100,000 Russian military draftees and deserters refusing the war of aggression. An estimated 22,000 Belarusian military draftees have left their country because they don’t want to participate in the war in Ukraine. Everyone who has refused service risks several years of prosecution because of their stand against the war. They are hoping for protection in various countries.

Ukraine suspended the right to conscientious objection and closed the border for men between 18 and 60. Over 100,000 men have evaded war involvement in Ukraine and fled abroad. Currently, Ukrainian citizens have temporary residence in the European Union. The #ObjectWarCampaign petition demands that the right to conscientious objection to military service is fully guaranteed in Ukraine.

Here is there 2020 report on Ukraine which states that there were s 30,030, conscripted in Ukraine in that year and according to the information provided by the local state administrations to the Ukrainian Pacifist Movement, in 2020 approximately 1,538 conscientious objectors conduct alternative service,

I was asking if there was any evidence that was happening as it's a serious accusation. The word of mouth from someone there that this pacifist presents themself as a significant current when in reality they're a single person not any real group.

Shit reference (AWL) but this is the flavour of what I've heard about Ukrainian pacifists.

I don't suppose you've a more credible reference

Where they are being sent are can't imagine there are many left nick.
You're probably right our kid. One of the big holes in the philosophy of old Vlad's SMO to denatzify Ukrain and free it's people from the terrible overlords they have. "And whilst you're there nick their houshold goods, rape and pillage and off anyone who doesn't lick your boots. clean". It amazing that there are still Russians that are swallowing the mantra :(

You're probably right our kid. One of the big holes in the philosophy of old Vlad's SMO to denatzify Ukrain and free it's people from the terrible overlords they have. "And whilst you're there nick their houshold goods, rape and pillage and off anyone who doesn't lick your boots. clean". It amazing that there are still Russians that are swallowing the mantra :(
Yeh it's amazing what people will believe, just look at all the royalists in this country

TBF I think forced conscription of those Ukrainians unwilling is limited, though it does seem to happen. The vast majority have volunteered, and I dont think at this stage Ukraine is short of troops. Its not directly comparable to what is happening in Russia and Im not trying to draw a false equivalence. However it is a thing, the draft has long existed,and social pressure to fight will be intense

Yeh it's amazing what people will believe, just look at all the royalists in this country
Aye fair doo's but I don't think there would be the same apetite in our yoof to a call up for war than there is middle aged folk thinking the queen was some sort of golden orb. Most kids I interact with didnea give a fuck about whats gone on here the last 2 weeks. I think Liz would have a hard job mobilising our young folk without paying them in 20 bags and issuing the latest threads.

Aye fair doo's but I don't think there would be the same apetite in our yoof to a call up for war than there is middle aged folk thinking the queen was some sort of golden orb. Most kids I interact with didnea give a fuck about whats gone on here the last 2 weeks. I think Liz would have a hard job mobilising our young folk without paying them in 20 bags and issuing the latest threads.
There never is. If a war was popular then there'd be no need for a draft

TBF I think forced conscription of those Ukrainians unwilling is limited, though it does seem to happen. The vast majority have volunteered, and I dont think at this stage Ukraine is short of troops. Its not directly comparable to what is happening in Russia and Im not trying to draw a false equivalence. However it is a thing, the draft has long existed,and social pressure to fight will be intense

Yeah fair enough. I bristled at the pacifist thing as they seem to be politically dodgy as fuck there, and unfairly jumped to the above. Anyway, derail a go-go.

Wtf is this bullshit from Czech Republic.

guardian said:
Russians fleeing the partial mobilisation ordered by Vladimir Putin will not be issued with humanitarian visas by the Czech Republic, the Czech foreign minister, Jan Lipavský, said.
guardian said:
In a statement obtained by Agence-France-Presse, Lipavský said:

I understand that Russians are fleeing from the increasingly desperate decisions taken by Putin. But those who are running away from their country because they do not want to fulfil a duty imposed by their own state do not meet the criteria for receiving humanitarian visas.
Earlier today, Germany’s interior minister, Nancy Faeser, suggested that Russian deserters may be able to obtain protection in Germany.

It's pretty weird alright ... initially I wondered if they were afraid to be seen by Putin as harbouring deserters on the run? Maybe they dont want Russia to invade them next?

But I'd imagine Finland and Georgia are worried about a Russian invasion too but they seem to be soaking up all Russians escaping.

Last edited:

Given the political and economic situation in Czech Republic right now, it is completely understandable. We have in the region of 400,000 Ukrainian refugees here, in a country with a total population of around 10.5 million, inflation currently running at 17%, and a population split between those looking west and a fair number who support authoritarian parties and look to Putin as an example (see my post in the other thread about the pro-Putin protest in Prague a couple of weeks ago).

The wording is shit, but that's not unusual for Czech politicians. It's not about toadying up to Russia or fear of invasion. The current government - a broadly centre-right, west-looking coalition - is absolutely against Russia.

Given the political and economic situation in Czech Republic right now, it is completely understandable. We have in the region of 400,000 Ukrainian refugees here, in a country with a total population of around 10.5 million, inflation currently running at 17%, and a population split between those looking west and a fair number who support authoritarian parties and look to Putin as an example (see my post in the other thread about the pro-Putin protest in Prague a couple of weeks ago).

The wording is shit, but that's not unusual for Czech politicians. It's not about toadying up to Russia or fear of invasion. The current government - a broadly centre-right, west-looking coalition - is absolutely against Russia.
Yeah fair, I can see the difficulty in hundreds of thousands of Russians turning up tbh :(

Yeah fair, I can see the difficulty in hundreds of thousands of Russians turning up tbh :(

There is also the issue that most Czechs hate Russians of any sort.

If the government welcomed potential conscripts as refugees, they would alienate their centre-right & liberal base, and the already weak coalition would lose the next election, likely to Babiš (ANO party, populist), a deeply corrupt billionaire and former StB (Communist era secret police) agent. It would also result in even more support for the pro-Putin SPD (Fascists) and KSČM (Communists, although really indistinguishable from the fash - they share the same voter base). Politics in this country are fucked beyond belief.

Edit to add: on the subject of the pro-Putin protest, I think there are several more planned across the country for this weekend.

There is also the issue that most Czechs hate Russians of any sort.

If the government welcomed potential conscripts as refugees, they would alienate their centre-right & liberal base, and the already weak coalition would lose the next election, likely to Babiš (ANO party, populist), a deeply corrupt billionaire and former StB (Communist era secret police) agent. It would also result in even more support for the pro-Putin SPD (Fascists) and KSČM (Communists, although really indistinguishable from the fash - they share the same voter base). Politics in this country are fucked beyond belief.
How are Ukrainian refugees faring in Czech Republic tho? Has there been much hostility towards them?

How are Ukrainian refugees faring in Czech Republic tho? Has there been much hostility towards them?

There were already 100,000-200,000 Ukrainians here as migrant workers, usually doing cleaning or labouring work. I'd say they were looked on pretty much as the Irish were in England in the 1960s, and treated similarly. The extra 400,000 or so were initially welcomed; people opened their homes to them, donated food and clothing etc. I know a couple of people still hosting families. Government support was reasonable to start with, but I think it's limited over time, so those who have been here more than six months or so get less. I don't know on that one.

As the war has dragged on, and as inflation and energy prices have started to bite, I think there is a change. I am not in touch enough to be able to say for sure, but an increase in support for ANO (and their poster campaign along the lines of "it was better when we were in power") and the shockingly large protest the other week suggest that people are reverting to self-interest.

What I find odd about these POW exchanges is firstly the high percentage of AZOV members exchanged out of the thousands of Ukrainian POWs. Secondly, the Russians and the occupied areas made a lot of noise about prosecuting them for war crimes, and there was some footage showing the courtroom and cells being prepared, I seem to remember that the Russian Parliament at least debated or even wanted no more swaps of AZOV POWs . Then in the blink of an eye the AZOV operational leadership is transferred to 'house arrest' in Turkey, the 'volunteer/soldiers of fortune are released mid way during court proceedings /been given a guilty verdict and the 200 AZOV are back in Ukraine.

Anyone , with any serious ideas on the logic of this?

What I find odd about these POW exchanges is firstly the high percentage of AZOV members exchanged out of the thousands of Ukrainian POWs. Secondly, the Russians and the occupied areas made a lot of noise about prosecuting them for war crimes, and there was some footage showing the courtroom and cells being prepared, I seem to remember that the Russian Parliament at least debated or even wanted no more swaps of AZOV POWs . Then in the blink of an eye the AZOV operational leadership is transferred to 'house arrest' in Turkey, the 'volunteer/soldiers of fortune are released mid way during court proceedings /been given a guilty verdict and the 200 AZOV are back in Ukraine.

Anyone , with any serious ideas on the logic of this?
The Z fans are pointing to the alleged fact that Medvedchuk (the Ukrainian pro Putin oligarch) is godfather to Putin's children. No idea if that's true. It really does seem weird.

108/215 Azov (according to Graun via Yermak). Exchange for Medvedchuk and 55 others... I suppose probable those 55 were also relatively high value prisoners (e.g iirc a few pilots have been captured), complete speculation of course.

The Z fans are pointing to the alleged fact that Medvedchuk (the Ukrainian pro Putin oligarch) is godfather to Putin's children. No idea if that's true. It really does seem weird.

He is godfather to Putins children and Putin has described him as a personal friend. He was also the highest profile prisoner and there is usually some propaganda incentive to have highly visible prisoners like that included in swaps, since their release is so easy to paint as a really obvious 'something we've gained from this deal', even if less well known prisoners are actually more precious.

Back
Top Bottom