Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

how would kfc sue a Russia business for still using it

you heard of franchise ownership right :hmm: also a building that is kfc branded can still sell chicken wtf is the Cornell gonna do sue em

The other fast food companies (not to laud them or anything) seem to have effectively backed out. McDonalds is now famously Tasty Period.

This is going to descend into an even more horrifying shitshow than it already is, isn't it? He's going to get increasingly more unhinged as the fuckups and corpses pile ever higher....

I assume the most likely reason for these fellas falling out of windows is that they've opposed Putin. So while it's funny that nasty oligarchs are getting their just desserts I'm not sure it bodes well.

I assume the most likely reason for these fellas falling out of windows is that they've opposed Putin. So while it's funny that nasty oligarchs are getting their just desserts I'm not sure it bodes well.
I thought a few of them were described as "allies of Putin"?

Reactions: tim
The two Brits who were sentenced to death in DNR have been released after Saudi Arabia acted as a go between to negotiate their release.

It's great that the prisoners have been released, but:

Not just Saudi Arabia but MBS himself.

The only reason i can think of that he would become personally involved in this is in an attempt to rehabilitate himself after the murder of Jamal Khashoggi which he is widely believed to be responsible for. That and to generally portray the kingdom in a good light; never mind the wholesale human rights abuses going on in their own back yard. Great PR exercise for them

Last edited:
It's great that the prisoners have been released, but:

Not just Saudi Arabia but MBS himself.

The only reason i can think of that he would become personally involved in this is in an attempt to rehabilitate himself after the murder of Jamal Khashoggi for which he is widely believed to be responsible for. That and to generally portray the kingdom in a good light; never mind the wholesale human rights abuses going on in their own back yard. Great PR exercise for them
Yup this war has flushed up America's rehabilitation, Saudi Arabia's concern for human life, and Turkey's concern with peace among other remarkable roles.

Yes, that's how you get to be an oligarch.

Not great job security, very much gripping a wolf by the tail.

The moment you say “Vlad maybe this is a bad” you lose your purpose, especially now the oligarchs have no cash or assets outside Russia available

I know what you mean.

I remember a speculative science book my parents got me for Christmas in the 70’s (I’m in my 50’s). In one bit it had two visions of the future.

Left hand page was an environmental paradise with people wondering around in white robes with glass pyramids.

The other page had basically Bladerunner. Rain, gas masks, neon, concrete, etc.

And as a naive young human i thought ‘well obviously the people in charge are going to go for the optimistic left hand page version of the future, right?’.

How wrong i was. I’ve worked in psychiatry for 15 years and what i now know of the human condition has changed my outlook somewhat.
The books I read had is living in lunar colonies, travelling to work on moving pavements or transport tubes like Futurama and using such wonders as videophones. Eventually we would send a colony to St Baranard's Star.

Well we have smartphones and social media, small victories...

The books I read had is living in lunar colonies, travelling to work on moving pavements or transport tubes like Futurama and using such wonders as videophones. Eventually we would send a colony to St Baranard's Star.

Well we have smartphones and social media, small victories...

I had no idea they'd canonized astronomer EE Barnard. Mind you, if we're talking sci-fi, that could be a plot point.

Back
Top Bottom