Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

You know, I'm not convinced this is true.
If they did use a nuke they would dent it and claim it was the Ukranians themselves or the US. Everyone would know it was bullshit but I think lots of countries and politicians would use it as an excuse to stay "neutral". And not just the likes of China I'm thinking of Hungary and some of the right in the US.

Hope we don't find out.
No. The idea that countries simply can’t use nukes is too important for that kind of game playing. China, India, Pakistan — all would view it as an enormous threat to their existence.

I don't know how the neutrals would pan out - I absolutely see kabbes point, but I think the temptation to play all sides will be overwhelming.

There's also the difference between whats said in public -facts, investigation etc... and what's said in private - we know it was you, have a coup, blame it on deranged Putin and bury him quickly...

China is not a disinterested party here - a defeated, disintegrated Russia leaves any number of central Asian republics in need of a new Good Lord, and if they really fancy it, the Northern Resource Area stretches all the way to the ArcticOcean.

I doubt Putin could find anyone to shoot a nuke for him. If you were a colonel in charge of a missile unit, you'd be better off sabotaging it in the long run.

Ukraine have, as far as I can see, outclassed Russia in intelligence and information warfare at every turn. Media, cyber, etc.

I've not felt this hopeful for a while. Curiously, I think this also means greater risks of curveballs as Russian command and control, intelligence and communication becomes fractured, which is worrying. They get desperate and the risk increases (massacres, nuclear options...)

That said, I know absolutely nothing and take refuge in my ignorance. I just want the war to end.

There's presumably also the Russian fear that any tactical nukes wouldn't actually work due to corruption.
That's got a few layers to it, though. FIrst of all, it's not likely that the hierarchy will be in full possession of all the facts, nor much able to find them out - the layers of corruption will go all the way down. And then there's the question, coming back up, of "what do you tell the boss?". Chances are, some kind of state of satisfactory nuclear readiness is being signalled all the way from the bottom, and it might not be until someone actually presses the Big Red Switch that the truth will become known. Autocratic states don't tend to encourage frankness, or people stepping out of line, and if "in line" has meant - as it appears to - "sucking up the rampant and pervasive corruption", lots of people are going to feel like it's better just to keep their heads down and hope that, if the truth every comes out, they're not in a position to suffer too much for it, or at least care much about it anyway.

Worst-case scenario for Russia: loaded nuclear missiles fail at launch, blow up in the silos, and irradiate great chunks of Mother Russia. Or, I suppose, launch, but then either don't end up where they're supposed to be, just end up being a big "dirty bomb", or a fizzle.

Last edited:
New York Times has a lovely piece about the grief Putin is getting at home archive.ph He is so fucked. And Ukraine still has much, much more of the best American kit in the pipeline. Maybe they should advance on Moscow...

Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant shuts down
Operations at the Russian-held Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant in Ukraine have fully halted, Energoatom, the state agency in charge of the plant, said on Sunday.

The agency said the restoration of power to the plant had allowed it to do the safest thing and power down its sixth and last working reactor.

Kyiv on Wednesday called for residents of Russian-occupied areas around the plant, Europe’s largest, to evacuate for their own safety. Russia and Ukraine accuse each other of shelling the nuclear plant, risking a nuclear disaster. LINK

Story just broken, it's unclear as to the potential for a disaster, and on what scale, all we can do is hope for the best.

ETA - This makes grim reading -

Last edited:
Those talking of tac nukes - don't think so. But the zaporizhia situation is now precarious that a very simple conventional strike on it would create a nuclear disaster. Can see this happening. It may meltdown even without need for any more bombing.

Story just broken, it's unclear as to the potential for a disaster, and on what scale, all we can do is hope for the best.

ETA - This makes grim reading -
At least there was one bit of good news in that story about them shutting the last reactor down, that they got one of the power lines working, a possibility that they were not at all confident about in the previous update.

I await another IAEA update on these developments. If taken at face value, the situation is now one where both that power line and the diesel backup will need to go down in order for a disaster to unfold.

But obviously the situation with staffing has deteriorated due to the increased intensity of fighting in the region, and the story the other day about power being lost in the town where the staff live, a story which did not receive enough attention at all.

Back
Top Bottom