Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

The Mindless Drug Hoover song is credited to Matt Hayden.
I too know Cosmo and know that he always credits the original writer(s) when performing live. He would not knowingly plagiarise a song, I have never heard of the version you posted or the the person you say it is credited to.

I too know Cosmo and know that he always credits the original writer(s) when performing live. He would not knowingly plagiarise a song, I have never heard of the version you posted or the the person you say it is credited to.
If you know him, give him a bell and ask him to explain himself.

If you know him, give him a bell and ask him to explain himself.
Tbh I don't feel he's got a great deal of explaining to do; to reiterate he's always credited the original writer(s). Why don't you ask him on Twitter or via Bandcamp?

/derail

The Mindless Drug Hoover song is credited to Matt Hayden.
That is indeed MDH's name and I'd actually never heard it before but that "Fuck Off" tune of his, is indeed obvious plagiarism.

Naughty! But can I be arsed to get involved? I cannot. I think what I will do is, if I ever play his Reefer Song again, I'll just pretend I wrote it. Cheers Matt.

Tbh I don't feel he's got a great deal of explaining to do; to reiterate he's always credited the original writer(s). Why don't you ask him on Twitter or via Bandcamp?

/derail
I have lots of time for Cosmo. Genuinely sound fella. Though his music could be greatly improved if he were to put a donk on it.

He's just been there and he's very well connected.
Cliff Richard is very well connected but that'd have no bearing on his view of military matters. Neither should it here. It's vindman's great knowledge of the ukraine gained during his military and national security Council career that makes his opinion worth listening to. And someone as versed in opsec and intelligence as he is means he knows I suggest rather more than you what facts should not be revealed

Last edited:
It wouldn’t shock me given that casualties i those positions are always high as a proportion (which is why so many posh kids died in WW1) possibly just from the regular army though rather than taking into account reserves or new trainees/promotions.

Does imply Russia might be worse off given how much of a shit show it’s been and of course there’s the general sniping spree of early this year.

Much as I hate to say it, David clapson has it right when he says you don't know who vindman is. Tho I suspect some hasty googling will reveal why vindman's opinion on this is likely accurate
C'mon, you live to say stuff like that.

Of course I know who he is, and of course neither the Ukrainians nor the Americans are feeding him sensitive info so he can show off about it in interviews. And he's also not doing that, or no-one will ever speak to him again. What he has is likely hearsay about a rumour about an exaggeration. His guess is possibly slightly better than yours or mine, but that's all.

I have a lot of faith in Vindman's honesty. And he was born in Kyiv and probably has close friends and relatives at all levels of the Ukraine military. I think he really does know the numbers. But he's not a politician. He's probably a little naive politically, too determined to be honourable. So I worry he fucked up by releasing the numbers, because they seem to me to be so encouraging to Putin. He can now tell himself that he's a third of the way to victory. Just kill twice as many Ukraine officers as have already died, and they have to fold. Please prove me wrong, I'm not trying to score a point here.

Btw Vindman repeated the numbers on CNN. The whole interview is worth a watch

The casualty figures just seem like disastrous things to reveal. But what do I know. I have zero knowledge of military stuff apart from what's in the history books. Maybe Vindman's made a genius move? I suspect he's been influential in getting the heavy weapons. Last week there were two NASAMs promised, then Vindman tweeted that nine more were needed to achieve a no-fly zone, and the next day Biden announced another six. I had a fairly good google and couldn't find anyone else who'd been talking about quantities of NASAMs. Makes you wonder what he gets up to behind the scenes. Biden must be his biggest fan after his epic performance at the impeachment hearings.

Edit: the most recent casualty figures announced by the Ukraine army are 9000 deaths in total. No breakdown of officers vs others.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDC
A Ukrainian soldier writes:

How to prepare yourself for the thought that the mother of two children who hid in a basement for a month slowly died before their eyes? How to accept the death of a 6-year-old girl who died of dehydration under the ruins of her house? How should we react to the fact that some people in the country, as in occupied Mariupol, are forced to eat pigeons and drink water from puddles at the risk of catching cholera?

To quote Kurt Vonnegut, even if wars didn’t keep coming like glaciers, there would still be plain old death. But encounters with death could be very different. We want to believe that we and our beloved ones, the modern people of the 21st century, no longer have to die from medieval barbaric torture, epidemics or detention in concentration camps. That’s part of what we’re fighting for: the right not only to a dignified life but also to a dignified death.

Let us, the people of Ukraine, wish ourselves a good death — in our own beds, for example, when the time comes. And not when Russian missiles hit our houses at dawn.

Back
Top Bottom