Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

WaPo has interviewed 100 people for a reconstruction of the first days of the invasion when Russia tried to take Kyiv. A good read. archive.ph

Plus Biden has committed to another $3bn of weapons. It's a long term deal. Some of the weapons will have to be ordered, and may take "months or years" to reach the battlefield Joe Biden announces $3bn in fresh Ukraine military aid archive.ph It includes another six NASAMS, to add to the two already promised. A couple of days ago Vindman asked for seven to nine more in order to enforce a no-fly zone. Looks like it may really happen. Eventually. Several countries have ordered NASAMS. The factory will be busy. Be interesting to see what Vindman tweets about it later https://twitter.com/AVindman

Last edited:
  • Keir Starmer is planning a trip to Ukraine in the late autumn as he moves to cement his relations with the Kyiv government as it continues its fight against Russia. The Labour leader approached the government of Volodymyr Zelenskiy this summer about the possibility of a visit as opposition leader, with the Labour party writing a letter seen by the Guardian.

Zelenskiy probably has better things to be doing :(

Putin orders 10% boost in Russian troop numbers​

Russia's president has signed a decree which could see 137,000 service personnel added to the country's armed forces in the coming months.
Currently Russia has a limit of just over a million military personnel and almost 900,000 civilian staff.
Vladimir Putin's decree comes amid a recruitment drive around the country, with large cash incentives on offer.

• Keir Starmer is planning a trip to Ukraine in the late autumn as he moves to cement his relations with the Kyiv government as it continues its fight against Russia. The Labour leader approached the government of Volodymyr Zelenskiy this summer about the possibility of a visit as opposition leader, with the Labour party writing a letter seen by the Guardian.
Going to take some graft to get into that Alley of Courage

Strongly suspect that tweet's more of a dig at Ukrainians than at Johnson...
I would personally have thought that a plaque dedicated to the 'British people' or something would have been a better acknowledgment of the support not just by the government, which ,let's face it , would have been given by any PM and will continue after Johnson leaves post, but also those hundreds of thousands of people who raised money or collected goods for humanitarian aid , driven it there and have offered accommodation to those fleeing the war. That disappointingly is not acknowledged.

I would personally have thought that a plaque dedicated to the 'British people' or something would have been a better acknowledgment of the support not just by the government, which ,let's face it , would have been given by any PM and will continue after Johnson leaves post, but also those hundreds of thousands of people who raised money or collected goods for humanitarian aid , driven it there and have offered accommodation to those fleeing the war. That disappointingly is not acknowledged.
I agree with that.

I'll donate a tenner to a kickstarter fund for the first person to provide photographic proof of pissing on this floor plaque. I'd do it myself except I don't have time to go all that way .. but someone does :thumbs:

You can pay Ukrainians to paint messages to Vlad on missiles. It's a big earner for them in the US. Maybe they'd arrange your photo. But I doubt it. Boris is a bit of a hero to them.

Back
Top Bottom