Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Shouldn't have been there maybe but nasty shit.

They're no different to any other person in the Ukrainian military, nor should they be treated as such, and clearly they have been kangaroo court sentenced as some attempt at a 'message' to others. Grim outcome, imagine there's not much hope of a way out for them.

They're no different to any other person in the Ukrainian military, nor should they be treated as such, and clearly they have been kangaroo court sentenced as some attempt at a 'message' to others. Grim outcome, imagine there's not much hope of a way out for them.
prisoner swaps apparently might save them from the firing squad or gallows. it says that in the article anyway

Haven't seen any background on the Moroccan guy also sentenced to death earlier-could be anyone I suppose.It was reported that they ran out of ammunition and at that point thought they might as well surrender.

Really, is there a clip of that? And also... what fucking difference does that make to his current death penalty? Or are you really secretly a bit like 'meh, he deserves' it?

Someone speaking under duress that's being sentenced to death, clearly a reliable source.
It was in an article early on in the invasion in one of the British papers. I remember it because Aidan Aslan was also interviewed and I remembered him getting arrested when he returned from Syria.

LDC My views on the sentence are identical to frogwoman in post 14764

Why shouldn't they have been there? Only people born in Ukraine should be able to fight the Russian invasion or something? They moved there years ago and both had married Ukrainians and made the country their home. Would you have deported them then, or just banned them from joining the Ukrainian military, and maybe other jobs as well then?

It looks to me that you're letting your position on the war and the surrounding issues confuse you on issues like this.

Aiden Aslin is British-Ukrainian marine, has a Ukrainian partner and child, and has lived in Ukraine for years. There've been rumours from Moscow that he's a mercenary - this is not true.

That piece of shit Graham Phillips interviewed him, while Aslin was a prisoner of war.

His twitter account is now maintained on his behalf with his permission. It is COSSACKGUNDI. Anything on social media pretending to be him saying he's a mercenary or a nazi is bullshit.

It surely was rash of Liz Truss to give her support to Brits who felt inclined to go out to Ukraine to have a go.Given the numbers of mercenaries involved out there on both sides it was perhaps forseeable that they would not be treated as PoWs in the event of their capture whether or not ,strictly speaking,they were in fact mercenaries.

It surely was rash of Liz Truss to give her support to Brits who felt inclined to go out to Ukraine to have a go.Given the numbers of mercenaries involved out there on both sides it was perhaps forseeable that they would not be treated as PoWs in the event of their capture whether or not ,strictly speaking,they were in fact mercenaries.

Have you even read the news reports you fucking idiot?

They've been living out there for years, married Ukrainians, were Ukrainian citizens afaik, and joined the Ukraine military years ago, before Liz Truss probably even knew where Ukraine was.

They've been living out there for years, married Ukrainians, were Ukrainian citizens afaik, and joined the Ukraine military years ago, before Liz Truss probably even knew where Ukraine was.
Er wasn't disputing that the two you refer to were not mercenaries in fact.They should have realised that there was a significant risk that the brigands in power in Donetsk would mistake them for such given the situation.And so should Truss You didn't even read my post.

I read that as Truss's fault for legitimising it/making it an issue and therefore a target rather than they went out there because Truss told them to.

Maybe I misread that then. But I think this isn't anything to do with Truss's pronouncements months ago, it's the pro-Russian separatists/Russian State trying to have a bargaining chip for some deal, and to make an example of people,and continue to push their de-nazification nonsense. Also they didn't 'mistake' them as mercenaries as Duncan2 said, it's calculated lies as propaganda.

Last edited:
interesting stuff in the ISW update on how Russia are increasingly using old and outdated kit and how they are struggling to enforce conscription in the occupied areas.

Russian forces are continuing to deploy outdated military equipment to Ukraine to replace losses. The Ukrainian Main Intelligence Directorate (GUR) reported on June 9 that Russian forces are mining Kherson Oblast with mines from the 1950s to defend against recent Ukrainian counterattacks in northwestern Kherson Oblast. The GUR stated that Russian forces moved these mines from Russia’s Rostov Oblast to the Kherson area despite the fact the mines were meant to be destroyed. The GUR claimed that some of the mines detonated during the transportation processes and killed Russian sappers from the 49th Combined Arms Army. The GUR’s report is consistent with previous statements that Russian forces are moving old and obsolete equipment to Ukraine to make up for equipment losses, including deploying T-62 tanks to the Melitopol area and pulling MLRS and 152mm howitzers from storage in Irkutsk, Siberia.

Russian military command continues to face pervasive issues with force generation. The Ukrainian Resistance Center reported that Russian officials in Luhansk Oblast have had to reduce their mobilization efforts due to widespread protests against aggressive mobilization efforts that have taken a toll on the labor market in Luhansk. Attacks on Russian military recruitment offices are additionally continuing. An unidentified assailant threw a Molotov cocktail at the military commissariat in Vladivostok, which is the eighteenth such reported attack on Russian territory since the beginning of the war. As Russian officials escalate mobilization efforts over the background of continued losses in Ukraine, they will continue to run the risk of instigating public dissent and pushback against such recruitment practices.​

More shite from that prick Jenkins.

yep- who in "the west" is seriously calling for "total victory"? Its more a case of- "see how much push back Ukraine can manage plus seeing how much longer russia can sustain its war effort in order to secure the least worst option" - Jenkins is (again) presenting a mealy mouthed version of "force Ukraine to accept terms" - why the fuck should they whilst their is a reasonable possibility they can get better terms (and less death and destruction and more long term security) by continuing to fight?

Back
Top Bottom