Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

This is a bit special.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova was asked during a Q & A session how Russians should respond to friends and family abroad who are telling them that Russia has become like Orwell's 1984. Her answer:

"For many years we thought Orwell had been describing totalitarianism. That's one of the world's fakes. Orwell was writing about the end of liberalism. He wrote about how liberalism would drive humanity into a dead end. He wasn't writing about the USSR, he was writing about the society in which he was living, about the collapse of the idea of liberalism. But the notion has been imposed on you that he was writing about you

So tell them that he wasn't writing about us, but about them. Tell them, 'it's you abroad who are living in a fantasy world, where people can get cancelled."

This is a bit special.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova was asked during a Q & A session how Russians should respond to friends and family abroad who are telling them that Russia has become like Orwell's 1984. Her answer:
Presumably the families of Russian war dead left in piles don't get to go on foreign holidays. Sounds like a lot of sons and brothers getting properly cancelled

This is a bit special.

Making this even more ridiculous, Putin's partner in war crime banned 1984 in Belarus only a few days earlier.

NATO’s fault.
are we still going around in this circle? :facepalm:

But, you know, legitimate security concerns....
I would never use the word "legitimate" - i dont even recognise the Putin govenrment as legitimate - but its exactly because Russia is imperialist and is understood by realists as a state this is going to defend its empire that "security concerns" are real infringements.

That the Kremlin views Russia not as singular state but the centre of an empire is not a big reveal - its what realist have been cautioning against all along.

I would never use the word "legitimate" - i dont even recognise the Putin govenrment as legitimate - but its exactly because Russia is imperialist and is understood by realists as a state this is going to defend its empire that "security concerns" are real infringements.

That the Kremlin views Russia not as singular state but the centre of an empire is not a big reveal - its what realist have been cautioning against all along.
Gate’s open early this evening.

I think zombies is new, hopefully Brad Pitt can sort it

I mean, it's a look...

View attachment 323687

But, you know, legitimate security concerns....

Evil bastard. Yesterday was the anniversary commemoration of the Circassian genocide. Soloviev and his ilk are still spouting the same disgusting shit.

Sounds like the same sickening mentality as this guy (content warning of mass-murder, rape, torture, imperialist degradation and dehumanisation): Grigory Zass

In 2003, the Russian Federation controversially erected his statue on former Circassia territories where the Circassian genocide, in which he played a big part, occurred

I can't recall seeing any figures on Ukrainians troop loses before, but yesterday Zelenskiy suggested between 50-100 are dying every day in the east, which if correct seems low compared to the figures flying around about Russian loses. Whatever the true figures are on both sides, it's such a tragic and unnecessary waste of human lives. :(

Meanwhile from the MoD...

In the first three months since Russia invaded Ukraine, it has likely suffered a similar death toll to that experienced by the Soviet Union during its nine year war in Afghanistan, the UK ministry of defence has claimed.

A combination of “poor low-level tactics, limited air cover, a lack of flexibility” and a command approach which is “prepared to reinforce failure and repeat mistakes” has led to the high casualty rate, British intelligence said in its latest report released this morning.

Casualties are continuing to rise in the Donbas offensive, the report added.

"The Russian public has, in the past, proven sensitive to casualties suffered during wars of choice. As casualties suffered in Ukraine continue to rise they will become more apparent, and public dissatisfaction with the war and a willingness to voice it may grow.” LINK

I can't recall seeing any figures on Ukrainians troop loses before, but yesterday Zelenskiy suggested between 50-100 are dying every day in the east,
Attackers tend to lose more than defenders and there's a good chance he's rounding down a little to keep spirits up. Russians are about to hit 30,000 on Ukraine's figures though the UK MoD have just said Russia have lost the same as they did in Afghanistan which would be half that.

This will piss off Putin.

Senior Russian diplomat at UN defects over war in Ukraine – reports​

A Russian diplomat has resigned from his position in the United Nations, saying he has “never been so ashamed” of his country and condemning Vladimir Putin for his “aggressive war” against Ukraine, according to reports.

Boris Bondarev, a counsellor of the Russian mission to the UN office in Geneva, criticised the Russian foreign ministry – where he has worked for 20 years – for its increasing “level of lies and unprofessionalism”, the rights watchdog UN Watch reports. LINK

This Lithuanian idea for a fleet to go and collect Ukrainian grain (and break the blockade) is a bit barking.

Of course Truss liked it.
There’s the issue of mines to contend with, and the fact they can’t take military ships in with them due to the treaty around the Turkish straits.

But I don’t think some sort of UN task force to ensure safe passage is a bad idea, kind of like a very limited no-fly zone supporting the shipping route, and nothing that could be perceived as a hostile act.

There’s the issue of mines to contend with, and the fact they can’t take military ships in with them due to the treaty around the Turkish straits.

But I don’t think some sort of UN task force to ensure safe passage is a bad idea, kind of like a very limited no-fly zone supporting the shipping route, and nothing that could be perceived as a hostile act.

Dude, the Russians are telling themselves the Ukraine is the Fourth Reich, with actual Nazi Jews - they could turn a UN fleet into anything.

This is a government/state apparatus that is literally on Crack. Reality simply doesn't exist there.

Back
Top Bottom