Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Negotiations don't have to involve further loss of territory (post Feb 2022) though. It could just be 'Crimea, possible Donetsk referendum and then done'.

Negotiations don't have to involve further loss of territory (post Feb 2022) though. It could just be 'Crimea, possible Donetsk referendum and then done'.

Agree that they don't have to.
Crimea is in the other guy's bag of bargaining chips.

Right at the bottom.

I was hoping my posts on previous page would maybe lead to reasons why I'm wrong, rather than just "you're a privileged Western bastard". :(

I mean, yeah, fair cop and that, but at least being a wrong privileged Western bastard would ease the gloom a bit.

Last edited:
I was hoping my posts on previous page would maybe lead to reasons why I'm wrong, rather than just "you're a privileged Western bastard". :(

I mean, yeah, fair cop and that, but at least being wrong privileged Western bastard would ease the gloom a bit.
I wasn't accusing you specifically of being a privileged western bastard, just those who are advocating for Ukraine to give up territory and condemn thousands of Ukrainians to occupation and oppression.

The reason I don't think it's likely is because the Ukrainian public are overwhelmingly against giving up Ukrainian territory to Russia, and while that's the case, it's not going to happen.

I wasn't accusing you specifically of being a privileged western bastard, just those who are advocating for Ukraine to give up territory and condemn thousands of Ukrainians to occupation and oppression.

Still, fair cop. I'd hope there would be some kind of arrangement where Russia-sympathisers in Western Ukraine could get some assistance to up sticks to the newly Russian bit and swap places with Ukrainians on the wrong side of the line who wanted to stay in the (political) West.

Last edited:
More they don’t want to supply missiles that could be used to attack deep inside Russia.
That was said a few days back, I guess they’re concerned about potential escalation. At the same time, Ukraine really needs something to strike back at missile launchers and airfields that are being used for strikes on cities away from the front line, currently this part of the war is very asymmetrical and causing huge damage to infrastructure.

Soros speaks: "While the war rages, the fight against climate change has to take second place. Yet the experts tell us that we have already fallen far behind, and climate change is on the verge of becoming irreversible. That could be the end of our civilisation. The best and perhaps only way to preserve our civilisation is to defeat Putin as soon as possible". That's cheered me up no end. More here Ukraine invasion may be start of ‘third world war’, says George Soros So, more and better weapons for Ukraine asap please.

Trouble is, if territory is given up, the odds are Russia will grab some more a year or two down the line.
I put that at 15 years to a generation away. I think it's a sure thing no matter how it's sliced. In the meantime the Kremlin will revert back to influencing Kyiv or at least trying to. Russia will have to earnestly reevaluate its military. It could be much more successful in the future if it gets serious.

I put that at 15 years to a generation away. I think it's a sure thing no matter how it's sliced. In the meantime the Kremlin will revert back to influencing Kyiv or at least trying to. Russia will have to earnestly reevaluate its military. It could be much more successful in the future if it gets serious.

My guess is that in 15 years time Russia will be in no position to do such a thing.

Looking like severodonetsk may be fullly encircled. Nowhere near as big as Mariupol but likely to become another horrific cauldron now. This is looking pretty bad for Ukraine despite all the weapons, aid etc. Russia, as we all know, has suffered enormously so far, but it has a much bigger kitchen sink to throw at this, even if it does mean brining 60 year old tanks out of long term storage

When your short of pilots...

More than a whiff of bullshit there.

Interesting piece in the FT about the battle for Sievierodonetsk Subscribe to read | Financial Times No paywall version: archive.ph
the last para is interesting

“Imagine that Russian forces finally take Sievierodonetsk, then what?” said Pavel Luzin, a Russian-based military analyst. “Strategically, it changes little . . . [and] most of the Russian army’s artillery range is less than 25km. So [Russian president Vladimir] Putin can’t destroy all of Ukraine’s cities, everywhere.”

the limitations are cheering but at the very least its enough to get and secure the land corridor to Crimea though

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom