Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

If Moldova got attacked it would imo be an entirely different story imo. A lot of tensions between the Russian and Romanian speaking population, although things may have changed since I was there

Agree. Others will know better but I get the sense that this dehumanisation of the Russian speaking population began some time ago

There’s been a process of ‘decommunisation’ in recent times involving removing statues and changing street names, with the same sort of shame as Nazi monuments were removed in Germany. This is conflated/confused with anti-Russian sentiment, like it’s a big dis of the Red Army. It’s one of the reasons Russian troops have been flying soviet-era flags, because it looks like their history and the bloodied victory over Germany in WWII is being erased, which given the cost of that victory is quite offensive to many Russians, so a reaction against that rather than a pro-communist position.

Yeah Soviet stuff in Ukraine and Russia really doesn't have a lot to do with left wing sentiment ime. A lot of the time it's exactly the opposite

Agree. Others will know better but I get the sense that this dehumanisation of the Russian speaking population began some time ago
Dehumanisation of other people by Russians has been going on for a long time. People who aren't ethnically Russian, esp non-Slavic are looked down on and even abused in Russia. And a well-known slur word for Ukrainians is hardly uncommon. Can't be very nice for Ukrainians in Russia right now. See all those intercepted messages of Russian fighters in Ukraine too - "H... this" and "H... that," nasty. Not saying it's ok to dehumanise anyone, Russian or otherwise, of course.

Last edited:
Yeah the idea that theres some massive demonisation of Russian speakers isn't really accurate I'm afraid. Kharkiv, Kherson, Odessa, Mariupol etc are all Russian speaking (and to a large extent actually ethnic Russian) cities which are the most badly hit by the war whereas places in Western Ukraine like Lviv that were traditionally seen as hotbeds of Ukrainian nationalism and Bandera support have hardly been touched.

What I think is a problem is the assumption with refugees fleeing to the UK that they all speak Ukrainian or don't want to speak Russian and that seems to be a massive problem with local councils when there are loads of Russian speakers and actual Russians that want to help, and loads of refugees coming here don't speak Ukrainian very well or speak a mixture of Russian and Ukrainian (Surzhik). I think the policy some countries (Poland IIRC) have put in of not accepting refugees from Ukraine with Russian or Belarusian passports is a real problem.

not the number 1 thing I'd be concerned about currently in Ukraine and I don't want to say too much online as it affects someone I know but there are plenty of people who were born and brought up in Russia but moved to Ukraine and still have Russian passports etc, I think that's the number one thing I'd be worried about post war in terms of discrimination against Russians. I don't think it's guaranteed to happen and I don't know of any examples of people getting abuse but I wouldn't blame them for being worried especially if this drags on for years. :(

Last edited:
Dehumanisation of other people by Russians has been going on for a long time. People who aren't ethnically Russian, esp non-Slavic are looked down on and even abused in Russia. And a well-known slur word for Ukrainians is hardly uncommon. Can't be very nice for Ukrainians in Russia right not. See all those intercepted messages of Russian fighters in Ukraine too - "H... this" and "H... that," nasty. Not saying it's ok to dehumanise anyone, Russian or otherwise, of course.
Absolutely but my comment was to try and seek out how/ when about the orcs language and the attitudes to people in the east in Ukraine not a tit for tat about Russia tbh

I do think though there are other places in the FSU which have the potential to become a real civil war type bloodbath if war breaks out or they are invaded. We haven't seen that in Ukraine and are unlikely to imo unless the Ukrainian army try to retake Crimea and maybe parts of the DNR or something.

chalk and cheese though? The conventional phase of the Iraq War was very successful from the US point of view - but against a very weak unmotivated opposition. Anti-Insurgency warfare - like in Afghanistan and Iraq post invasion - is completely different and is all about intelligence gathering and policing rather than tanks and bombers.

So we did really well right up until the other lot started fighting back.

I've got a submarine to sell you. Works great until you put it in water.

Dehumanisation of other people by Russians has been going on for a long time. People who aren't ethnically Russian, esp non-Slavic are looked down on and even abused in Russia. And a well-known slur word for Ukrainians is hardly uncommon. Can't be very nice for Ukrainians in Russia right not. See all those intercepted messages of Russian fighters in Ukraine too - "H... this" and "H... that," nasty. Not saying it's ok to dehumanise anyone, Russian or otherwise, of course.

Normalised among parts of the Russian opposition too unfortunately. Recently an old tweet by Navalny resurfaced in which he had used this word.

Yeah, he seems well iffy.
Yeah it's bad. Unfortunately right now the main dividing line in Russian politics is pro or anti Putin and that means a lot of the time all sorts of alliances get made with people that in normal times you wouldn't give the time of day to. I can't really judge protesters who are at risk of being locked up or actually have been but I also don't blame some Ukrainians who are understandably fucked off and fucked off at the tendency of some Russian liberals to blame everything on Putin rather than other aspects of society. :(

Link to your source for this please?

According to Le Monde, the Tolkein comparisons date to long before the invasion.

As far back as 2015, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko used the word "Mordor" to refer to Putin's concept of a "New Russia," which incorporates the eastern Ukrainian territories controlled by pro-Russian separatists into the Russian Federation. In 2016, Google's translation tool was hacked to yield "мордор," Mordor, when translating the word "Russia" from Ukrainian.

According to Le Monde, the Tolkein comparisons date to long before the invasion.

As far back as 2015, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko used the word "Mordor" to refer to Putin's concept of a "New Russia," which incorporates the eastern Ukrainian territories controlled by pro-Russian separatists into the Russian Federation. In 2016, Google's translation tool was hacked to yield "мордор," Mordor, when translating the word "Russia" from Ukrainian.

I get it now. Putin is the Dark Lord, Lukashenko is Saruman, Zelensky is Aragorn, Boris Johnson ........ Gollum?

So Sean Bean is fucked if they cast him in a film about the invasion then.

It still doesn't support IC3D latest tankie nonsense

Back
Top Bottom