Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

When I was watching it I was thinking about WW1. I guess that was what it was like. Don't know much about military strategy etc but kinda got the idea trenches were a thing of the past in recent wars.

They still happened a lot in ww2 and id imagine things like foxholes and small trenches are still very much a thing - just not on the scale of ww1 when warfare was less mobile and front lines didn't move for years - so you had extensive trench systems built over years. But a spade is probably still your best defense against being bombed and bombarded to fuck.

When I was watching it I was thinking about WW1. I guess that was what it was like. Don't know much about military strategy etc but kinda got the idea trenches were a thing of the past in recent wars.

Trench system happened on Western Front in WW1 because the advantage was heavily with the defenders due to new weapons/developments of machine guns and artillery, which were able to stop traditional attacks by infantry and cavalry - so ended up with stalemate.

Tanks basically ended that at the end of WW1 - so wars became more about manoeuvre again. (Though I'm sure it's more complicated than that..)

ETA: Another factor for the situation on the Western Front - was space and geography - relatively confined so greater density of troops etc. Same thing didn't happen to same extent on Eastern Front as more expansive.

Last edited:
Trench system happened on Western Front in WW1 because the advantage was heavily with the defenders due to new weapons of machine guns and artillery, which were able to stop traditional attacks by infantry and cavalry - so ended up with stalemate.

Tanks basically ended that at the end of WW1 - so wars became more about manoeuvre again. (Though I'm sure it's more complicated than that..)
Tanks don't seem to be working so well anymore. I suppose having large numbers of easily portable anti tank weapons makes them less effective.

I'm wondering what's actually coming for them in the trench video. Something's making a lot of noise till they get it with the grenade. Is it a tank/APC? Surely a grenade wouldn't take out an armoured vehicle (and it would make more noise/two explosions).

Part of me actually suspects it's staged.

Tanks don't seem to be working so well anymore. I suppose having large numbers of easily portable anti tank weapons makes them less effective.

I'm wondering what's actually coming for them in the trench video. Something's making a lot of noise till they get it with the grenade. Is it a tank/APC? Surely a grenade wouldn't take out an armoured vehicle (and it would make more noise/two explosions).

Tanks work fine when used the way they're meant to be used. The Russians don't seem to have twigged how it works. Modern warfare is surprisingly rock/paper/scissors and to be successful you need to bring all three. Tanks require infantry support. Infantry requires armoured support. Everyone needs artillery support.

It's not entirely Russian doctrine at fault, though it's considerably to blame. It's a basic rule of thumb that you need at least 3x the force on the attack vs. the defence. Plus you've got extremely motivated defenders vs. attackers who'd rather be at home. Add in that one side has considerably more up-to-date weapons and the situation on the ground makes a lot of sense.

So no, the tank isn't dead. Most Russian armour has been destroyed for being where it shouldn't be in a properly co-ordinated attack. Most of the kills haven't been with NLAWs or Javelins, but older direct attack weapons. (Javelins and NLAW are super modern weapons that fly over the tank and fire into the top of it - only the Israelis are currently using something that defends against that)

They have underslung grenade launchers on their rifles... You can see further away guy loading towards the beginning, and that's why he takes that weird looking shot.

*on one of their rifles.

Last edited:
They have underslung grenade launchers on their rifles... You can see further away guy loading towards the beginning, and that's why he takes that weird looking shot.
Ah. I thought it was some sort of explosive round, that explains it.

I guess that now many of the US supplied M-777 howitzers have been deployed, things are starting to get even worst for the Russians.

Hi! I've been engaged in sports shooting for ages. That's why from time to time, I browse thematic websites. Recently, my attention has been drawn to the fact that now it is possible to safely purchase weapons from private owners via the internet without official documents in Ukraine. Don't you think that we should revise the endless support of Europe for the alleged support of the Ukrainian people? In my opinion, in this way, people worsen the situation in Ukraine. Do the authorities have any control over the circulation of weapons at all?

M777 is a superb artillery piece, but even better in the ammunition that goes with it - M982 Excalibur GPS guided munitions. The baseline variant in GPS only, the later versions are GPS or Laser guided. There's extended range versions as well.

The huge advantage of using Western weapons is that you get plugged into the NATO ammunition production system, rather than scrabbling around for ever decreasing and increasingly ageing Soviet stuff.

Far-right Republicans like Donald Trump and Marjorie Taylor Greene - along with the likes of Tucker Carlson and Glenn Greenwald - are criticising the $40 billion US military, economic, and humanitarian aid package for Ukraine, saying it's too much to spend when Americans are dealing with higher food prices.

“The Democrats are sending another $40 billion to Ukraine, yet America’s parents are struggling to even feed their children,” Trump said in a statement issued through his Save America PAC.

The former president claimed “no one is talking about” the baby formula shortage in the U.S., which he said is “a national disgrace.”

No mention, of course, of which party it is that's been standing in the way of helping low-income people afford food - a payment of $300 per month for children under 6 and $250 a month for children 7 to 17 expired in January, plunging millions of families back into poverty, but it would have remained in place if just one Republican in the Senate had been willing to vote for Biden's domestic spending package.

Its looking more and more realistic that Ukraine could repel the Russian invasion.

There's no way Putin would accept that. The humiliation would be unbearable for him.

If....and its a big if........Russia then hit Kiev with a nuclear missile, how would the west respond to that?

Is there a thread for wild speculation? I got told off for speculating on the normal speculation thread.

Yeah, I see things that are unconfirmed but pretty fucking likely to be true and don't know whether to post them here or there. So then I don't bother only to see them posted by others anyway.

(in b4 "good, less spitfire twitter links".)

Last edited:
Its looking more and more realistic that Ukraine could repel the Russian invasion.

There's no way Putin would accept that. The humiliation would be unbearable for him.

If....and its a big if........Russia then hit Kiev with a nuclear missile, how would the west respond to that?
NATO would probably have to make some response, albeit not necessarily nuclear.

But I don't think Putin would nuke Kyiv - far more likely that he'd wallop somewhere like Azovstal or a tactical situation outside a town.

Fwiw, any nuclear strike, anywhere in the world will be met with a nuclear response against Russia. That’s the deal with MAD, it doesn’t have to be an attack on a nuclear country or a NATO country. Putin knows that, he also knows that Russia is royally fucked right now, but he further knows that Russia will cease to exist the moment one of his nukes leaves a silo. I don’t imagine he cares for the people, but he does care for Mother Russia, and he knows that any nuclear action spells the end of Russia forever.

Fwiw, any nuclear strike, anywhere in the world will be met with a nuclear response against Russia. That’s the deal with MAD, it doesn’t have to be an attack on a nuclear country or a NATO country.
This isn't true. If Russia take out a UA army base in Ukraine with a ten kt nuke NATO's not going to order the end of the world as the next move. I mean, it would definitely be time to shop (or loot) for canned food but what would be the point?

Nuclear forces have come a long way from the 1950s when the US would have wiped out China just for the hell of it. It's not just banks of silos with fixed targets anymore on either side.

In such an event I would imagine the next event would be some sort of local conventional action and some furious submarine hunting.

Back
Top Bottom