Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

I really wish Johnson would stop it with the overheated rhetoric by the way. The G7 release an agreed statement, and a few hours later there is the Downing Street spokeswoman going way beyond it saying:

“Ukraine needed to receive military equipment that allowed them to not just hold ground in Ukraine, but recapture it, the Prime Minister told the leaders,”

To do stuff like this, almost certainly for his own ends, does my head in.

I really wish Johnson would stop it with the overheated rhetoric by the way. The G7 release an agreed statement, and a few hours later there is the Downing Street spokeswoman going way beyond it saying:

Johnson has always been a self-aggrandising prick without moral or scruple who says whatever flickers across his brain without regard to actuality or consequence. It would be out of character for him to act any differently on the world stage with the distant threat of nuclear holocaust hanging over the planet and is why he should never have been allowed near an atom of power.

yeah - its reckless grandstanding which plays right into putins hands propaganda wise. Ukraine going beyond the 2014 border - is not a definite thing that is going to happen but not impossible - and its a whole other level of dangerous worms and something the nato countries really need to agree on. How far they are going to go support Ukraine in that? (threaten it to force Russia to negotiate? - kick Russia's arse completely? make it a strict line in the sand?) Clearly their is a push for that from some quarters (Biden seems to be pushing in that direction) - but at some point it goes beyond the rights and needs of the Ukrainians to defend them selves and becomes more about US/NATO/EU geo political agendas.

yeah - its reckless grandstanding which plays right into putins hands propaganda wise. Ukraine going beyond the 2014 border - is not a definite thing that is going to happen but not impossible - and its a whole other level of dangerous worms and something the nato countries really need to agree on. How far they are going to go support Ukraine in that? (threaten it to force Russia to negotiate? - kick Russia's arse completely? make it a strict line in the sand?) Clearly their is a push for that from some quarters (Biden seems to be pushing in that direction) - but at some point it goes beyond the rights and needs of the Ukrainians to defend them selves and becomes more about US/NATO/EU geo political agendas.

I don't think he's talking about pushing beyond 2014 boundaries; much of Ukraine's requests around heavy weaponry were justified in that without them they can't effectively counterattack, only defend current positions. Johnson is just echoing that.

I don't think he's talking about pushing beyond 2014 boundaries; much of Ukraine's requests around heavy weaponry were justified in that without them they can't effectively counterattack, only defend current positions. Johnson is just echoing that.
ah - yes misread it. Think Truss indicated that though a few days ago? Anyway - as you were

It's not obviously photoshopped (they are misinterpreting a line that's just caused by a fold in the paper), but it also doesn't seem to be what the original poster is claiming it is.

It's going to be interesting to hear what Putin has to say during his Victory Day speech, which has just started, it could give some indication of what his plans are and the direction of travel over the coming weeks, the Ukrainians seem to be expecting the worst.

Facing setbacks, officials have suggested that Vladimir Putin may use the May 9 holiday to repackage the war in Ukraine. Dramatic options include escalation through a formal declaration of war or general mobilisation – or de-escalating by proclaiming victory.

Alternatively, Putin could offer up a “sandwich”, as one analyst put it, that praises the Russian army’s “victory” while preparing the population for a grinding and painful conflict as status quo.

Ukrainian officials in particular have warned that Putin is planning to announce a mass mobilisation, or even to declare war against Ukraine, calling up personnel and resources that were untapped under Russia’s so-called “special operation” that began on 24 February.

This is a good summary of how different options could play out.

Watching some of these Russian troops marching in the parade just brings back memories of Monty Python's ministry of silly walks. :D

A very interesting debate accompanying the footage of the parade on Sky News as well - Dannatt and Radakin discussing what is going on whilst also quietly slating how our government are behaving.

I am watching that too, as you say very interesting, a heavy hint that Truss was talking bollocks about pushing Russia back to pre-2014 positions, including out of Crimea, which they said is never going to happen.

Be useful if before people posted they had a look at things like replies to tweets, or whether their post is better on the speculation thread or this news one.

I am watching that too, as you say very interesting, a heavy hint that Truss was talking bollocks about pushing Russia back to pre-2014 positions, including out of Crimea, which they said is never going to happen.

The bit later on where they described our leadership as being the most hawkish on the planet, and how difficult it would be to sell a grubby sort of peace between Ukraine and Russia in London was odd too.

Who seriously thinks "2014 boundries" didn't come from an invasion? By all rights Ukraine shouldn't have to or be expected to allow Russia to grab whatever land they want.

He's known for long rambling speeches, that one back in February about Ukraine lasted about an hour.
that's fuck all, i thought you meant he was an orator of castroite proportions - castro's 'history will absolve me' speech lasted four hours, while his speech to the un general assembly on 26 september 1960 lasted four hours twenty-nine minutes. in 1986 at the communist party congress in havana he gave a speech which took seven hours and ten minutes to deliver. a speech of an hour by comparison nothing.

Back
Top Bottom