Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

On Sunday, the Freedom of Russia Legion (anti-Putin Russians) claimed to have arrived in Donbass! :eek:

"We thank the armed forces of [@ Ukraine] for putting trust in us and we promise to uphold it as we go into battle"

Don't know much about them except they want to overthrow the Putin regime and are fighting with the Ukrainian military, and they use the white-blue-white flag.

Wait, what?!? So now there's an overt internecine war going on, a sort of Russian civil war being played out, but in Ukraine?

There’s been Russians fighting on the Ukrainian side for a while, using the blue and white flag. Not particularly surprised that a lot won’t want to show their faces in propaganda guff given families back home etc. There’s also Belorussian groups which have been present almost since the start.

There’s been Russians fighting on the Ukrainian side for a while, using the blue and white flag. Not particularly surprised that a lot won’t want to show their faces in propaganda guff given families back home etc. There’s also Belorussian groups which have been present almost since the start.
I was aware some Russian soldiers had defected after capture and were now fighting for Ukraine.

I hadn't been aware some Russians had signed up to fight for Ukraine from the off.

It’s a very distressing read of rape, murder and brutalisation, but an important one.

The Russian soldiers were young, younger than her sons, with barely any hair on their chins, but their commander’s words were chilling.

“My men have had some vodka,” he said. “Now they want some entertainment.”

Vika started trembling. She suddenly understood why, earlier that day, when the soldiers came to the house to confiscate their phones, they had asked her to tie white fabric on her front fence.

:mad:

We already know lots of horrendous stuff is happening. For me, I don't see the benefit of reading these accounts, and it almost feels a bit wrong. It's not going to change my view on anything and it's not going to enable me to do anything about what's happening. Others may feel differently of course.

It’s a very distressing read of rape, murder and brutalisation, but an important one.

:mad:
For me reading all the stories of dreadful suffering diminish the ability to see the important things on an operational or strategic level. And what's worse after a while the stories are no longer as appalling to read as they were - a degree of desensitisation occurs, at least to me. Not through my own volition but through the awful repetition.

Difficult one - I think there's a importance to bearing witness to suffering, that to not read the accounts or look at the pictures says that those involved don't matter. On the other hand, reading it doesn't change anything, it doesn't bring any comfort to the victim.

Truth is, if you've read a book, or watched any decent documentary on the behaviour of the Wehrmacht on the Eastern Front, then you can make a pretty shrewd guess as to what's happening in Ukraine.

Difficult one - I think there's a importance to bearing witness to suffering, that to not read the accounts or look at the pictures says that those involved don't matter. On the other hand, reading it doesn't change anything, it doesn't bring any comfort to the victim.

Truth is, if you've read a book, or watched any decent documentary on the behaviour of the Wehrmacht on the Eastern Front, then you can make a pretty shrewd guess as to what's happening in Ukraine.

If you avoid accounts of atrocities then you risk opening yourself up to the agenda of loons whose mission is to sanitise suffering and flood spaces with mockery and denial. It's downright unhealthy to view gore images and whatnot but so is absorbing loonery.

If you avoid accounts of atrocities then you risk opening yourself up to the agenda of loons whose mission is to sanitise suffering and flood spaces with mockery and denial. It's downright unhealthy to view gore images and whatnot but so is absorbing loonery.
Yeah see the gross 'last hospital in Aleppo' assadist memes etc

The sound of Sunday Bloody Sunday blasted out of a subway station in central Kyiv

"I won't heed the battle call" and so on. I'm not sure bothsidesasbadeachother pacifist slop is entirely appropriate. Sick objectively pro-Putin fucks.

putin bono.jpg

Last edited:
What are we to make of this stuff? Broadcasting that Russia has weapons shortages can't help with any of the possible announcements Putin might make tomorrow. How can the TV people dare to criticise Russia's military might?

Back
Top Bottom