Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Much as I can appreciate their distress, I do wonder what they think the Ukrainian authorities can do?

Whatever they can or can't do, breaking up demonstrations and forcibly conscripting those who disagrees with government policy suggests that they are not doing as much as they could.

The Russians want to label as Nazis, and then torture or murder those still in Mariupol and the Ukrainian regime sees that as a propaganda victory.

Tbf more likely getting sent to man a checkpoint somewhere.

Not that it isn't a shitty thing to be doing.

Can't be too valuable a checkpoint. Conscripting anti-war protestors seems like a way of turning a mere nuisance into a potential liability. Seems like they would make for unenthusiastic soldiers at best.

Not being at war is a big safety bonus.
I've been following this a bit on twitter and it seems the issue is civilians are being evacuated from the Azovstal steelworks but wounded soldiers (Azov and marines) are not being allowed to, and their safety cannot be guaranteed. The Ukrainian government shouldn't be dealing with the protest the way they are but I wouldn't have thought it's strictly 'anti war'.

Whatever they can or can't do, breaking up demonstrations and forcibly conscripting those who disagrees with government policy suggests that they are not doing as much as they could.

The Russians want to label as Nazis, and then torture or murder those still in Mariupol and the Ukrainian regime sees that as a propaganda victory.

Russia wants to do this, Ukraine wants to do that.

What Ukraine didn’t want was for Russia to invade.

Everything else is a result of that moment. Appreciate your Quakerism, but that is no way to run a country that is being invaded unless you want to wholly capitulate. Anything less than that then pacifist comment is just wasted breath.

War is fucking horrific, for the first time we are seeing an old fashioned invasion/occupation war in real time, as it happens, but when it happens you can either fight it or submit to the aggressor. Those are your only two choices, so unless you have some strategic genius to offer, slagging off the Ukrainians for being violent in their riposte is trite and not useful to anything much Tim.

No idea what the text says obvs.

ruscg_edinburgh I, the Consul General of Russia in Edinburgh, Yakovlev A. And., I categorically condemn the behavior of the special military operation of the Russian Armed Forces against the sovereign, independent state of Ukraine. I fully support any assistance to Ukraine Armed Forces from EU countries.

It is beginning to look like this didn't happen. There's a few "interesting" things going on (a big rush of 30 ambulances in Sevastopol), and it may be that some kind of event has occurred, but I think we'd better be prepared for the possibility that the ship wasn't sunk, or maybe even damaged.

But there's always next time...

It's not a propaganda victory though. Prokopenko was critical of Zelensky last year (refusing to salute him for instance) and the Ukrainian government said weeks ago that the soldiers could surrender iirc. If the Ukrainian government can't (or indeed won't) save them it's not a propaganda victory, it's pretty much the opposite.

Palamar, speaking in a video posted online, made a direct appeal to the international community and to President Zelensky to intervene to save hundreds of injured soldiers “who are dying in pain because of a lack of treatment”.

ruscg_edinburgh I, the Consul General of Russia in Edinburgh, Yakovlev A. And., I categorically condemn the behavior of the special military operation of the Russian Armed Forces against the sovereign, independent state of Ukraine. I fully support any assistance to Ukraine Armed Forces from EU countries.
Siberia for A Yakovlev if they ever go back to Russia. :eek:

It may be that the +1 on the Ukrainian list of Russian losses refers to this landing craft, that was hit by a Bayraktar drone yesterday off Snake Island.

The Bayraktars seem to be attacking with impunity in that area, the loss of the Moskva and it’s long-range air defences is almost certainly a factor. They can shoot from quite some distance away, and for targeting/intel the cameras have a passable resolution from over 100km away. Hope the thing that went bang on the landing craft was the replacement air defence equipment for the stuff they blew up a couple of days ago. Looked like a big secondary explosion so either munitions or fuel.

ETA: someone had identified the destroyed cargo as a TOR surface-to-air missile system, to replace that recently blown up. Which is nice.

Last edited:
It's not a propaganda victory though. Prokopenko was critical of Zelensky last year (refusing to salute him for instance) and the Ukrainian government said weeks ago that the soldiers could surrender iirc. If the Ukrainian government can't (or indeed won't) save them it's not a propaganda victory, it's pretty much the opposite.

The Times article though quotes the Azov Commander as saying they are carrying out the order to defend

Another blow to Russia’s military hardware prowess and pride, as one of their new and advanced T-90M tanks, deployed with fanfare for the first time a few days ago, has been confirmed destroyed

On another website it was claimed a Javelin did it.

It's still just a T-72 with a rather impressive set of bolt on upgrades. In some ways less advanced than the T-80 they had to stop making because the factory was in Ukraine. I don't find it at all surprising that it's vulnerable to a top attack weapon, since nearly every tank on Earth is.

Back
Top Bottom