Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

then there was all the stuff about the russians culminating
The Russian forces did meet their culminating point - it's a specific aspect of military doctrine: Culminating point - Wikipedia

Russia hasn't been able to continue its advance ever since it reached its culminating point back in March, with frontlines either at a standstill, or Ukraine regaining territory.

The Russian forces did meet their culminating point - it's a specific aspect of military doctrine: Culminating point - Wikipedia

Russia hasn't been able to continue its advance ever since it reached its culminating point back in March, with frontlines either at a standstill, or Ukraine regaining territory.
no, it's not a specific point of military doctrine. maybe you should read the first sentence of your wiki link. all the way through, mind.

The little numbers at the end of the sentences tell you that the sentences are summaries of different parts of one or more original sources. The words 'some' and 'unspecified' should alert you that they're not talking about the whole Russian army.

If you'd been paying attention at the time rather than relying on the Guardian we wouldn't be having this conversation.
the little numbers relate to a list of references and the number 5 relates to one source which is not used to as a reference about kyiv. which should alert you to the fact they're not - as you insisted - talking about kyiv

I was using the words of a retired army general. See here:

Whether it is strategy or doctrine doesn't really matter though, the fact is that the first phase of the Russian operation culminated in March.

yeh the americans use the word in a specific sense within their doctrine. other countries may differ. but in any event the russians have since started an offensive. which has been announced through the world's media. don't think the americans have that even in their doctrine.

what i find really peculiar is the way so many people here vigorously object when i point out we're not being told everything we think we are, that some things aren't being reported (eg ukrainian casualties) while authorities are being economical with the truth about others - see for example the ukrainian claim about russians running out of ammunition above which the americans politely said they couldn't confirm.

what i find really peculiar is the way so many people here vigorously object when i point out we're not being told everything we think we are, that some things aren't being reported (eg ukrainian casualties) while authorities are being economical with the truth about others
I don't object to that, I just think you picked an example of sloppy journalism rather than an actual example of what you're on about.

South East London before the DLR was a relative beautiful secret because of the Underground map.
Now they’re turning Lewisham into some kind of sub American area, with all the high rises thrown up so quick the lifts and plumbing don’t work.
Selling matchboxes for half a million quid.
Dear old Woolwich will probably go the same way.

It's already gone

BvKbV6gIYAAwsdT.jpg

Some more info on Bucha with chechens among the units responsible for atrocities.

The next day, March 5, Chechen soldiers arrived at their door, Abramov said. They wore sandy-coloured uniforms and expensive nubuck boots, and carried neater, better kit than regular Russian forces, Abramov said, matching the description of Chechen fighters given by residents north of the town.

The Chechens ordered Abramov, Iryna and Oleh to step outside with their hands raised. One of the soldiers repeatedly asked Iryna where the “Nazis” were hiding, she said, and set their house ablaze. Russian propaganda has described Ukraine’s rulers as Nazi sympathisers, a label Kyiv rejects.

While Iryna was being questioned, other soldiers in the unit ordered her husband to take off his shirt. They brought him, naked from the waist up, out of the property into the cold street outside. Abramov said he heard Oleh asking the soldiers not to harm him.

The soldiers forced Oleh to kneel, Abramov said. Then they shot him in the temple. Blood was still pulsing from the wound when Iryna reached her husband’s body. “Kill me too,” she shouted at the soldiers.

When the Russian forces retreated in late March, Oleh’s body was one of more than a dozen left behind on Yablunska Street. In April, Iryna and her father gave Oleh a funeral and finally buried him in a family plot in Bucha.

Ukrainian journalists found an old woman with a Soviet flag who's being used as a meme in Russia.

It’s fascinating to try reconcile his behaviour with the rampant gangster capitalism and cronyism and buying political favour of the 2010s. The west has been happy to turn a blind eye on any of his behaviour as long as the cash and gas flowed.

I keep looking for where the money is in this for him or his cohorts but I’m not finding it.

Their income from gas/oil is up 20% despite sanctions and loss of western supply contracts. The war has massively upped the price and they’re benefiting from it unfortunately. It’ll pay for a lot of bombs.

Just seen this on the Graun website -

“Tomorrow, on May 6, an evacuation from Mariupol to Zaporizhzhia will take place,” said Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk.
Meanwhile, efforts to evacuate those trapped in the Azovstal steel plant is also underway. About 200 civilians remain trapped there, according to the Ukrainian military."

That was from their live feed on the war.

Zelenskyy's said, "More than 150 people from Azovstal and more than 300 people from Mariupol and its suburbs who were evacuated by the humanitarian corridor this week are already receiving all the help they need. Medical, document renewal, financial assistance, communication with relatives, friends and families."

Their income from gas/oil is up 20% despite sanctions and loss of western supply contracts. The war has massively upped the price and they’re benefiting from it unfortunately. It’ll pay for a lot of bombs.

They can pay the soldiers with the dough, maybe, but they don’t really buy bombs, they make them and years of thievery means that the production capacity is just not there, they can’t just magic them up out of nowhere.

But yeah, the rise in price of oil does mean the sanctions don’t bite quite as hard as hoped. If Europe can totally end imports of oil and gas that will fuck Russia long term but in the immediate the lack of money and Big Macs is not a worry for Putin.

Back
Top Bottom