Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Ukraine have added one to their 'boat' tally today so assuming that's the Moskva. They've also reached an estimate of 20,000 Russian soldiers dead which even if it's a little inflated is a lot of grieving families. US total deaths in Vietnam were less than three times that and that was over a decade and from a larger population.

FQX44tRXEAEeVoC.jpeg

Any idea what’s upsetting the dude with the tache so much?
There's a subbed version of some of it. I think he's initially talking about the fact that the Ukrainians hit the fuel depot at Belograd [in Russia] yesterday. Russia had warned that any more attacks in mainland Russia would result in Kyiv being hit again and sure enough it was struck last night. They then go on to mention the Moskva.

Last edited:
The British have been training the Ukrainians for ages and been passing high quality intelligence to them throughout the war. Various Ukrainians from the president down have repeatedly thanked the U.K., they aren’t doing that to make us feel good, it’s genuine thanks. U.K. and US special forces have been training hard to evacuate the Ukrainian leadership should they request it. Would also not be at all surprised to find that a number of them that were helping with the training in Ukraine before it kicked off missed their flights home and are still there, but we won’t have any confirmation of that until this is all over, if ever.
Till the book deals are signed at any rate…

Do the Americans have many ships named after Australian TV programmes? Is there a uss neighbours out there, alongside a uss home and away?[/silliness]

No but they do have a Los Angeles class submarine USS Dallas.

And we have both a mine countermeasures ship HMS Emerdale and a type 22 called HMS Borchester.

Last edited:
Loads of people in Russia can have access to Twitter with VPNs etc, they're probably not going to post under their real names though. Twitter was never that popular in Russia even prior to the war though.

Loads of people in Russia can have access to Twitter with VPNs etc, they're probably not going to post under their real names though. Twitter was never that popular in Russia even prior to the war though.
I was thinking not so much about what they might say, and more about what they can see. It's a start!

After 50 days of bombing the shit out of Ukraine, they decide to hit a missile factory? Did they run out of hospitals to target?
They were rather narrow with their targets in Kyiv so far. It wont be hard to see the bloody and horrific difference in Kyiv if they change approach there.

Ukraine have added one to their 'boat' tally today so assuming that's the Moskva. They've also reached an estimate of 20,000 Russian soldiers dead which even if it's a little inflated is a lot of grieving families. US total deaths in Vietnam were less than three times that and that was over a decade and from a larger population.

View attachment 318629
Not sure a war primarily fought against insurgents rather than pav really comparable. Nothing I have seen mentions medical evacuation for wounded Russians in the same way the Americans removed their injured from battle - which might go some way towards explaining the higher russian death toll, if there's no way to speedily get wounded soldiers to treatment. I think something like the Korean war would be a better equivalent,where in a rather shorter period than Vietnam they lost nearly 40,000 killed.

Not sure a war primarily fought against insurgents rather than pav really comparable. Nothing I have seen mentions medical evacuation for wounded Russians in the same way the Americans removed their injured from battle - which might go some way towards explaining the higher russian death toll, if there's no way to speedily get wounded soldiers to treatment. I think something like the Korean war would be a better equivalent,where in a rather shorter period than Vietnam they lost nearly 40,000 killed.
yeah - korean war is very much forgotten - but was a full on ding dong. Maybe it didnt seem as big compared to the then very recent WW2? And wasnt any sort of victory for anyone but a grim stalemate.

It just another way in which the kleptocratic leadership in Moscow show their complete contempt for ordinary Russians, in this case the soldiers doing the fighting. And also highlights the lack of equivalence with our own ( deffo fucking flawed) political leaders.

There has been a revolution in the West in the treatment of battlefield and other military casualties ( including but not limited to IED injuries ). From UK MERT to the integration into the wider NHS - and I presume other NATO allies doing similar- the survival rate for injured military types has increased significantly. With a side benefit, given the role of reservists, that these advances quickly transfer into NHS civilian trauma care.

It’s seems very likely the Russians haven’t t really bothered to do similar and their young men are bleeding out and otherwise dieing unnecessarily.

Another crime round Putin’s court’s necks.

Is their any in-depth analysis of er... the Z movement? It seems there's a lot to unpack in its relationship to Russian orthodxy, Empire etc, and even contemporary alt-media/conspiracism.

Kamil Galeev has some interesting thoughts on this stuff. Here's a thread of his various Twitter threads from the past few months - each a long-ish article in length:

Back
Top Bottom