Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Al jaz​

Russia claims to have hit missile systems​

Russia’s defence ministry says its forces have destroyed a shipment of air defence missile systems provided to Ukraine by the West.

The ministry said that Russian sea-launched Kalibr missiles hit the four S-300 anti-aircraft launchers on Sunday. It alleged the missile systems were concealed in a hangar on the outskirts of the central Ukrainian city of Dnipro. The ministry added that 25 Ukrainian troops were hit in the attack.

It did not say which European country had supplied the S-300 systems. There was no immediate reaction to the claims from Kyiv.

That was an excellent interview, Mark Austin did well holding it together, and totally destroying the Russian lies. I've been a lot more impressed with both Sky & Al Jazeera's coverage than the BBC's.
I haven't really followed al-Jazeera, but Sky certainly seem to be doing a pretty good job of it. The BBC, certainly when it comes to interviews and analysis, seems rather half-hearted.

It must be quite frustrating, as a journalist, to have to confront the kind of blatant lying that seems to be Russia's stock in trade.

Looks like Mariupol is about to fall according to this odd post on facebook, supposedly by the 36th marine brigade of the Ukrainian armed forces, reported by AFP, a French news agency.

Today will be ‘last battle’ for Mariupol as ammunition is ‘running out’, Ukraine says

Ukrainian forces say they are readying themselves for a “last battle” to control the besieged southern Ukrainian port city of Mariupol, AFP reports. In a statement on Facebook, the 36th marine brigade of the Ukrainian armed forces said, "today will probably be the last battle, as the ammunition is running out."

After defending the port for 47 days and doing “everything possible and impossible” to retain control” of the city, the marines said it had been “pushed back” and “surrounded” by the Russian army, adding, 'it’s death for some of us, and captivity for the rest.'

It complained that there was a lack of support from Ukraine’s military leadership “because we’ve been written off”. LINK

It all sort of makes sense, and AFP is a reliable source, but it seems odd to post it on facebook, may be done in total despair, or perhaps their account has been hacked.

Not much Ukraine can really do to relieve them. To deeply surrounded and generally a bit fucked.

The defenders have very much gone above and beyond.

Looks like Mariupol is about to fall according to this odd post on facebook, supposedly by the 36th marine brigade of the Ukrainian armed forces, reported by AFP, a French news agency.

It all sort of makes sense, and AFP is a reliable source, but it seems odd to post it on facebook, may be done in total despair, or perhaps their account has been hacked.
maybe it's posted on facebook because they want people to see it, and to say how they feel they've been let down by everyone's hero vz

maybe it's posted on facebook because they want people to see it, and to say how they feel they've been let down by everyone's hero vz
I've not been following your posts and so don't know the background to this particular post, but why are you criticising VZ? What more could he have done in this scenario?

I've not been following your posts and so don't know the background to this particular post, but why are you criticising VZ? What more could he have done in this scenario?
i am not myself criticising him, but saying that i think the unfortunate soldiers in mariupol feel rather let down by him.

I haven't really followed al-Jazeera, but Sky certainly seem to be doing a pretty good job of it. The BBC, certainly when it comes to interviews and analysis, seems rather half-hearted.

It must be quite frustrating, as a journalist, to have to confront the kind of blatant lying that seems to be Russia's stock in trade.
It's frustrating for the audience too, but the journalists have to broadcast the lies otherwiise they're accused of being propaganda tools. They need to appear impartial.

Of course the Russians are beatable. Is that the debate? How much collateral damage will happen is more of interest I'd have thought.

Reactions: tim

Al jaz​

Russia claims to have hit missile systems​

Russia’s defence ministry says its forces have destroyed a shipment of air defence missile systems provided to Ukraine by the West.

The ministry said that Russian sea-launched Kalibr missiles hit the four S-300 anti-aircraft launchers on Sunday. It alleged the missile systems were concealed in a hangar on the outskirts of the central Ukrainian city of Dnipro. The ministry added that 25 Ukrainian troops were hit in the attack.

It did not say which European country had supplied the S-300 systems. There was no immediate reaction to the claims from Kyiv.

A claim that this didn't happen:

eta:

Last edited:

JK Rowing must be relieved to be out of the frame. Is making me reappraise origins of WW1...war was going to happen. .so they scrabble around for justification

TBF saying that (and they've been saying it repeatedly) does work because it is obviously correct to say that international rules are not applied fairly or consistently. Some countries really can get away with murder as we all know.

Obviously that doesn't mean the Russians can invade and despoil a place as well, and even more obviously them invading Ukraine and despoiling it is never going to result in a fairer system but international law does need to apply to every country (and the UN does need reform to give more voice to countries that have risen since 1945). The EU especially should be focusing on this diplomatically.

That's not actually any use because I don't know I trust you. What translation are you referring to? Why not post it up?

Google translate of the Azov tweet:
About an hour ago, Russian occupation forces used a poisonous substance of unknown origin against Ukrainian military and civilians in the city of Mariupol, which was dropped from an enemy UAV.

The victims have respiratory failure,

Back
Top Bottom