Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Do I win a pedant's prize for pointing out that the tweet is in Ukrainian, not Russian?

Google translate gives the translation from Ukrainian to English as the text earlier posted in this thread, when told the original is in Russian it gives the translation:

Close to that, the Russian occupation of the military victorious against the Ukrainian military and civil forces in the city of Mariupol is making a speech of a homeless march, like it was thrown from a fortune-telling UAV.

The victims are afraid of dychal insufficiency.

It’s a total destruction policy isn’t it? Completely wreck a country’s cities and infrastructure, murder the population, destroy the means of production, mine farmer’s fields, muse on outlawing the language and culture. They’re trying to leave nothing left. It’s a war of punishment for not bending to their will, not a land grab. There will be nothing left to give away to the oligarchs.

A report that doesn't actually add very much.

Azov leader Andriy Biletsky said that three people have clear signs of chemical poisoning. He added that there are no “disastrous consequences” for their health.

It’s a total destruction policy isn’t it? Completely wreck a country’s cities and infrastructure, murder the population, destroy the means of production, mine farmer’s fields, muse on outlawing the language and culture. They’re trying to leave nothing left. It’s a war of punishment for not bending to their will, not a land grab. There will be nothing left to give away to the oligarchs.
The EU, States and probably us will pour billions into rebuilding- albeit loads of that money will go to EU, American and UK contractors… in a time of economic stagnation it will be no bad thing, even if lots of EU,US and UK political parties and people ‘close to ‘ politicians get their snouts in the trough.

To quote Zosia Brom's Freedom rant from way back at the start of this:

"You not gonna use Google translate, because how come things are not in English, the terror!"
It's surely just small extension of the courtesy we expect in describing links and videos to post up a translation of a tweet in a foreign language be that Amharic, Ukrainian or yakut

Last edited:
I think you should be saying this to Aladdin. It's surely just small extension of the courtesy we expect in describing links and videos to post up a translation of a tweet in a foreign language be that Amharic, Ukrainian or yakut
People using Google translate automatically in their browsers and quoting feeds that use more than one language may not always realise they've posted in a foreign language.

Home now. So tired. Spent most of my time helping people fill out forms. One thing. How long would it take to produce the fucking forms in Ukranian? Some of the (many, many) questions were hard enough for me to understand. There are so many people there just totally lost as to how to get to the UK. Seriously - how long would it take to translate the forms. It's fairly obvious they're being as obstructive as possible.

Home now. So tired. Spent most of my time helping people fill out forms. One thing. How long would it take to produce the fucking forms in Ukranian? Some of the (many, many) questions were hard enough for me to understand. There are so many people there just totally lost as to how to get to the UK. Seriously - how long would it take to translate the forms. It's fairly obvious they're being as obstructive as possible.
Appreciate the updates. How did you get to go across Petcha?

Appreciate the updates. How did you get to go across Petcha?

I was working doing the AV at a conference a month or so ago and these two American guys who run an organisation in Rio to educate kids gave a presentation about their work in the favelas, apparently my firm help fund it. They were in London en route to Krakow to set up something there to help and I got talking to them afterwards and asked if i could help. I'll go back once i sort my work situation out here which has gone a little tits up.. if anyone else wants to come lemme know.

Different alphabet. Different words. It’s almost like Ukraine is a different place to russia.
Different, but frustratingly similar. I was slightly aggrieved to learn that the sound "g" in Russian is represented by the glyph"г", which represents "h" in Ukrainian, "g" in Ukrainian being represented by "Ґ" (note the tiny, almost-invisible, uptick at the end of the horizontal stroke). It gets worse - in Russian, the "e" letter is pronounced "ye", and if you want just "e", you use the glyph "э"; in Ukrainian, it's broadly the opposite.

And that's before it gets really confusing :hmm:, with various identical letters having very different significance in Ukrainian vs Russia. I decided to refresh my Russian a bit, having learned it 40 years ago, then thought it'd be cool to add in some Ukrainian. Big mistake :D. I think I'm going to go back to the Russian.

There are people arriving here and nobody official has any useful information for them. Mrs Frank spent yesterday cobbling together a list of basic information, places to contact etc for people coming to Devon and Cornwall

Different, but frustratingly similar. I was slightly aggrieved to learn that the sound "g" in Russian is represented by the glyph"г", which represents "h" in Ukrainian, "g" in Ukrainian being represented by "Ґ" (note the tiny, almost-invisible, uptick at the end of the horizontal stroke). It gets worse - in Russian, the "e" letter is pronounced "ye", and if you want just "e", you use the glyph "э"; in Ukrainian, it's broadly the opposite.

And that's before it gets really confusing :hmm:, with various identical letters having very different significance in Ukrainian vs Russia. I decided to refresh my Russian a bit, having learned it 40 years ago, then thought it'd be cool to add in some Ukrainian. Big mistake :D. I think I'm going to go back to the Russian.
Ukrainian H is like the H in English, the H in Russian is pronounced 'kh'. And some words that are pronounced 'g' in Russian are said with 'h' in Ukrainian:D

Back
Top Bottom