Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

I think it may not be as simple as that - I'm pretty sure that the ships could just stand off further from the coast, and still launch their missiles, particularly as the locus of fighting moves further South.

Where I think they will be more useful is in making a Russian amphibious assault on Ukraine's south (and only) coast a much more risky proposition.

According to various reports they are running low on long range missiles, so I assume the ships would need to be fairly close to continue with most of their shelling.

So just a question.

When they very publicly announce things like sending a supply of anti-ship missiles. Is it in part deliberate to let Russia know so they might hold back from sending their ships in too close or from making any amphibians assaults?

So just a question.

When they very publicly announce things like sending a supply of anti-ship missiles. Is it in part deliberate to let Russia know so they might hold back from sending their ships in too close or from making any amphibians assaults?

Everything has an element - and sometimes a big element- of information warfare about it.

That doesn't mean everything is bigged up - some stuff isn't announced until it's already doing the deed in Ukraine, and some of the numbers are lower that what's delivered.

According to various reports they are running low on long range missiles, so I assume the ships would need to be fairly close to continue with most of their shelling.
Even better, muahahaha. A short-ranged hummingbird has shown itself over the Black Sea, and the angry wasp of the Ukrainian righteous retribution reveals itself, while the black swan flies backwards in varifocals.

Just a link FYI with no opinion (I know, sue me)

Just a link FYI with no opinion.

The provision of anti-ship missiles could be interesting if the Russians are still contemplating an amphibious assault on Odessa.
Odessa has set up a lot of defences already against such an assault, at this stage it’s very unlikely to happen, those nifty anti-tank weapons work pretty well on amphibious landing craft too. However Russia will at least keep up the pretence of preparing for such an attack with the occasional drive-by bombardment as it keeps a lot of Ukrainian troops tied down waiting for the possibility. Having some anti-ship stuff there would actually free up some of the defending forces, so useful in that way.

I've been wondering what sort of cruise missiles we've seen on the news. Are they air launched, or ground launched, or what? And what might they use when they run out? They must be very expensive, and presumably Putin thought he wouldn't need more than a few.

I've been wondering what sort of cruise missiles we've seen on the news. Are they air launched, or ground launched, or what? And what might they use when they run out? They must be very expensive, and presumably Putin thought he wouldn't need more than a few.
Mostly air-launched and fired from bombers too high and too far away to be at risk. If they run out have to use dumb bombs. This is back to ww2 bombing i.e. we can drop a bomb on a city. Though that [puts them in range of SAMs which Ukraine has and might be getting some more.

A global hawk has been showing itself over the black sea today, which it hasnt done for over a month that I know of in fact no ISR assets have shown there since before the actual invasion.(doesnt mean it hasnt been there but today it was saying look at me here I am)
Its Overt use again is a bit of a sign of shifting focus to me
If anyone is curious about Biggles' air of mystery, here's his special secret drone

Follow flight FORTE12 on AirNav RadarBox

U.S. Air Force spy plane takes spotlight in empty Ukraine airspace

But don't tell anyone.

By the way, I used to fly for the RAF.

Mostly air-launched and fired from bombers too high and too far away to be at risk. If they run out have to use dumb bombs. This is back to ww2 bombing i.e. we can drop a bomb on a city. Though that [puts them in range of SAMs which Ukraine has and might be getting some more.
Perhaps Vlad will have to strap on his extra big penis

l3nujSM.jpg

The Americans dropped thousands of dumb bombs on Iraq in the major ops phase in 2003. I don't suppose this is because they'd run out of smart bombs. And they dropped many thousands on that unfortunate country in 1991 too. It's not back to ww2, just to the 1990s or 2000s

No mystery what what, I have no special knowledge its on FR24 which was my point FFS.
Oh and Ive never flown for the RAF by the way 🤣
Yes, we all know you have no special knowledge. But there's so much Ukraine news to keep abreast of it would help everyone if you could be less mysterious and just say what's happening and give us the links :)

They are crying out for weapons. And aid. The West should give more of this. and get off the Russian gas as soon as practically possible. what else do you think should happen?

In an interview with CBS’ 60 minutes broadcast on Sunday, Zelenskiy said that the world bore responsibility for what is happening in Ukraine.

I remember, all of us remember, books about the second World War, and about the devil in uniform – Adolf Hitler. Are those countries who did not participate in the war responsible? The countries who let German forces march throughout Europe? Does the world carry responsibility for the genocide? Yes. Yes, it does,” he said.
“When you [have the ability to] close the sky – yes it’s scary, that a world war could start. It’s scary. I understand [that]. And I cannot put pressure on these people because everyone is afraid of war. But whether the world [is responsible] for this, I believe so, yes. I believe so. Stand in front of the mirror every day and ask yourself, were you able to do something? Or were you unable to do something? You will find the answer in the mirror to this question, and to another question – who are you?”

Basically this ^^. Risk WW3 if that's what it takes. This fuckwit only understands one way. He'll keep going until he's stopped, one way or the other. It just seems to be a little inconvenient for the west to intervene. I have to return to London tomorrow but I've had a bit of a glimpse of what's coming out of that country and I wouldn't say anger of the people I've met but definiteily a bit of confusion as to why Ukraine is doing this by themselves. These are laymen (lay women and children really) who can't see what ever geopolitical games are being played. They just want to go home.

But it's Sarah Rainsford, BBC ex-Moscow reporter, so either she's reflecting a change of BBC policy or she's urging one. Not insignificant.
The problem is, though, journalists can't really say 'The Russians deny responsibility, but I don't believe them, and you know and I know that they're lying, and they know that we all know they're lying.'

The first casualty of war is the truth.

Journalists are supposed to report the news, not make it up. If they want to call the Russians out, they need to challenge them robustly, and they need some facts, some sources, for example, footage of incidents/attacks/explosions, eye witness accounts, testimony from doctors about injuries, information from arms trade researchers/munitions experts, etc.

The problem is, though, journalists can't really say 'The Russians deny responsibility, but I don't believe them, and you know and I know that they're lying, and they know that we all know they're lying.'

The first casualty of war is the truth.

Journalists are supposed to report the news, not make it up. If they want to call the Russians out, they need to challenge them robustly, and they need some facts, some sources, for example, footage of incidents/attacks/explosions, eye witness accounts, testimony from doctors about injuries, information from arms trade researchers/munitions experts, etc.
The biggest power the media has is they decide what is and is not newsworthy.

They decide what does and does not get reported and how prominently.

Which is what she recorginses by saying it should not be reported.

Back
Top Bottom