Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

There is no single red line because there is no truly international opposition to the war. The UK, US, Nato etc. all have their red lines and none of them are in Ukraine. And we can't have a truly international response because the 'west' have spent the past half century making sure the UN doesn't have the power to oppose their grotty little wars.

Pretty sure I saw something a couple of days ago saying they’d passed legislation in Russia permitting looting during military operations. Can anyone confirm this?

And we can't have a truly international response because the 'west' have spent the past half century making sure the UN doesn't have the power to oppose their grotty little wars.
The us in particular has fought very hard against things like the ICC, no accountability for their troops ever. They could also give the Russians a run for their money in the refusing to accept blame for mistakes or claiming people are terrorists when they aren’t (that poor fucker who worked for a humanitarian group blown up in Afghanistan during the chaotic withdrawal is the most recent significant example). Tbh I think some of this is cultural - never accepting blame is a rooted in the litigious nature of US society.

for what? WW3?

There is no axis here. It would not be a 'world war'. The Ukrainian govt are crying out for intervention from the west and nada. There's only one way to deal with bullies in my experience. Germany and France in particular are culpable here.

There is no axis here. It would not be a 'world war'. The Ukrainian govt are crying out for intervention from the west and nada. There's only one way to deal with bullies in my experience. Germany and France in particular are culpable here.

They are crying out for weapons. And aid. The West should give more of this. and get off the Russian gas as soon as practically possible. what else do you think should happen?

People who seem to know what they are talking about are saying that's a huge amount:

It absolutely fucking is, it’s hugely detrimental to morale and the armies ability to perform.

Plenty in the tank but for an army to burn through that much so fast is suggestive of deep problems.

Good. Fuck the fuckers, they are stealing kids, uprooting families and murdering and looting as they do it. Bastards

People who seem to know what they are talking about are saying that's a huge amount:

Everything seems to suggest that they will carry on throwing men and equipment at the Ukrainians until their entire Army is shredded. The full unleashing of Russia fearsome military has been much promised - but it has not happened and I suspect it never will. Id like to think that this would lead to cuntface's downfall - but the same happened to saddam hussien after he got kicked out of Kuwait - but his regime remained and it took another war to get him out - a war that also ripped up the rule book on international law that led to Putin doing the same but bigger and badder.

Last edited:
The question is can Ukraine continue to inflict such massive levels of damage if Russia focuses on the fronts where it has, up to now, been largely successful (the South, land bridge from Crimea to Donetsk region)

I would imagine that the Russians will be very wary of trying to enter kharkiv, which is much much larger than mariupol. The generals know how badly they've been hurt, and won't want to repeat that mistake, but they may try to encircle kharkiv and starve it out

And that was in one month. Russia has moved into a mostly defensive fight now and they'll do better because of it, everyone does. Even still, it's the new age warfare that Ukraine is using that will win out, I believe. I don't think Russia has an answer.

The question is can Ukraine continue to inflict such massive levels of damage if Russia focuses on the fronts where it has, up to now, been largely successful (the South, land bridge from Crimea to Donetsk region)

I would imagine that the Russians will be very wary of trying to enter kharkiv, which is much much larger than mariupol. The generals know how badly they've been hurt, and won't want to repeat that mistake, but they may try to encircle kharkiv and starve it out
It will slow down. The artillery, loitering drones and satellite and drone surveillance pinpointing targets will be something Russia haven't had to deal with that much in the last 8 years. Russia could look at losing half of its military. Does Putin want Ukraine that bad? This 2nd invasion flipped the on switch. Somebody in Moscow has to come to their senses, please.

As if Ukraine hasn't suffered enough already.

Boris Johnson meets Volodymyr Zelenskiy in Kyiv​

The UK prime minister is holding a meeting with the Ukrainian president in the capital this afternoon.
The Ukrainian embassy to the UK shared a photograph of the two leaders in talks:

He probably felt left out after Ursula von der Leyen visited yesterday.

As if Ukraine hasn't suffered enough already.

He probably felt left out after Ursula von der Leyen visited yesterday.

They're playing connect 4 but Zalenskiy has allowed Boris to aim for 3 in a row. He's beating him 34 games to nil currently according to twitter but Boris is optimistic he may get 1 back before Christmas.

Good for Zelenskiy though, even if because it gave him a few hours feeling like he wouldn't be likely to be blown up, and tbf Johnson was warning of the Russian threat before many others were taking it seriously at all.

What benefit does it bring either of them that bojo was actually there?

I couldn't care less personally.

Have you not noticed that a good number of European heads of government, and the most senior EU officials have been to Kyiv, and while they were there, there were no air raids or missile strikes?

Russia doesn't want to kill the PM of a NATO state, so while any of these people are there, Kyiv gets a break.

Johnson going to Kyiv will almost certainly herald another tranche of military and financial aid for Ukraine, and make him even less sympathetic to those who want to be cautious with sanctions.

Sometimes, it's as if people can't think beyond the headline or the personality involved...

Kyiv has been getting a break at other times too. I dont really want to say anything that diminishes the missile etc attacks that did happen there, but even before Russia abandoned plan A there were less of them than feared and now there is no artillery threat in the area either.

Last edited:
Kyiv has been getting a break at other times too. I dont really want to say anything that diminishes the missile etc attacks that did happen there, but even before Russia abandoned plan a there were less of them than feared and now there is no artillery threat in the area either.

This is true, but the breaks you speak of are at the gift of Russia, not predictable in timing or duration - but when seniors go there the Ukrainians know when there will be no Russian attacks, and for how long there will be no Russian eyes overhead.

Which, of course, has no military utility whatsoever...

Back
Top Bottom