Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

It's also possible this is going to be a long grinding war which also doesn't exactly favour Ukraine
Who knows who's in the best position going forward. The sanctions are going to bite harder and harder for the Russians, while the west seems to be determined to supply Ukraine with more and more of whatever is needed.

Digging trenches in the red forest. :( :facepalm:
I could understand it if there wasn't obvious signage - in Russian - warning of the dangers. But then I imagine that could just be explained away as Ukrainian propaganda - "so, they don't want us to go in there? Well, damn them, we'll show them, AND GO RIGHT ON IN THERE. Ner, Ukraine" 🤷‍♂️

Or maybe the soldiers realised the risks, but were forced to take them anyway. I think we're going to truly discover the level of atrocity Russia inflicts on its own military, once this is over.

Are there specific allegations against Putin's daughters or have they just been sanctioned because of who their dad is? I'm not saying this out of sympathy or any sense of I justice, I just think it seems pointless and silly while the oil and gas money is still filling Russia's war coffers. Almost an admission that they've run out of useful sanctions.

e2a: Ahem, in response to own post above.

That's CNN for you I suppose... Get a cheap detector off Amazon and hope it gives you dramatic beeps at some point.

Wasn't sure where to post this. Kyrill is basically endorsing de-Ukrainianisation of Ukraine.

At the halfway point in his sermon, Patriarch Kirill said that the cathedral he stood in was not a testament of God's glory but of the glory of Russian military might
Patriarch Kirill legitimized the World War II analogies that Putin uses on a regular basis by comparing the war with Ukraine to the war with Nazi Germany This was followed by an endorsement of de-Ukrainianization, which the Kremlin euphemistically calls denazificationPatriarch Kirill also backed the "Russia as a victim" narratives that circulate on state media and claimed that Russian troops were trying to save Ukraine from itself To quote, Russian troops were "laying down their lives for their friends"

While Patriarch Kirill has routinely supported neo-imperialism, his speech's ringing endorsement of the most extreme Kremlin state media talking points is alarming It will also rally the religiously devout in Putin's base around war in Ukraine

And a summary here

Who knows who's in the best position going forward. The sanctions are going to bite harder and harder for the Russians, while the west seems to be determined to supply Ukraine with more and more of whatever is needed.

Lend-Lease passed the Senate, but didn't get through the House before they went on their two week Easter holiday. No rush, no rush :rolleyes:

Or maybe the soldiers realised the risks, but were forced to take them anyway. I think we're going to truly discover the level of atrocity Russia inflicts on its own military, once this is over.

Already well documented, notably in the book 'Putin's Russia' by (someone remind me) which focusses on the Russian military and courts.

It's all very much built into the system, to dehumanise and demoralise and to instill the idea that resistance to arbitrary authority is impossible.

Are there specific allegations against Putin's daughters or have they just been sanctioned because of who their dad is? I'm not saying this out of sympathy or any sense of I justice, I just think it seems pointless and silly while the oil and gas money is still filling Russia's war coffers. Almost an admission that they've run out of useful sanctions.

According to Reuters:

Putin's daughter Katerina Tikhonova is a tech executive whose work supports the Russian government and its defense industry, according to details in the U.S. sanctions package announced on Wednesday.

His other daughter, Maria Vorontsova, leads government-funded programs that have received billions of dollars from the Kremlin toward genetics research, and are personally overseen by Putin, the United States said.

American officials also claim Putin has stashed some of his assets with family members.

Just that they belive some of Putin's assets are in their name. Which seems plausible.

If they have not disownwd their father they are just as guilty if you ask me. Fuck them.

I just think it seems pointless and silly while the oil and gas money is still filling Russia's war coffers.

It's not silly. Sanctions have to be imposed with an eye on the damage they cause yourself and allies. That always has to be the case. Little point in stopping Russian imports if it means your own citizens will freeze or starve to death. Obviously there's a balancing act to be done but it's not as simple as just turning the taps off.

In the meantime, hit the fuckers with as many other means as possible. If that means fucking-over Putin's daughters so they're pissed off with him too, great.

There's even talk of sanctioning Putin's mistress(es), but Switzerland says it's been unable to confirm reports that Alina Kabaeva's in the country.

If they have not disownwd their father they are just as guilty if you ask me. Fuck them.
As I said, I'm not objecting to these sanctions out of any sympathy for Putin's offspring. I just see them as an admission that the west has run out of meaningful sanctions that it's willing to impose. Get rationing, get insulating and turn the fucking gas off.

NB. Posted from a difficult to insulate Victorian semi with gas central heating.

As I said, I'm not objecting to these sanctions out of any sympathy for Putin's offspring. I just see them as an admission that the west has run out of meaningful sanctions that it's willing to impose. Get rationing, get insulating and turn the fucking gas off.
Maybe. It could also be just yo fuck with him and make it a bit more personal.

Its all silly, all the outrage and hand wringing, all the ramping up weapon donations, all fuckin silly while the possibility of more sanctions exists. Just shows the priority of cash over lives that every human group seems to have. Fuckin pathetic really
At first I was disappointed with the sort of sanctions but they do need to be measured. I think they'll do their job eventually.

yeh but is eventually soon enough?
True true. I suppose there's also an intended psychological effect for leaders when they contemplate a future of industries shutting down. Some sanctions are hardly slaps on the wrist but others are for taking away material support for military and industry. New pages are being written in history books with this. How will Putin deal with this reality when he gets out of his trance?

Back
Top Bottom