Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

The Ukrainian military has proven itself to be bold, resourceful and capable of thinking outside the box, everything that the Russian military has proven that it isn't. I don't doubt they've pulled this off.
I'm also willing to bet that the Russian high command (those that haven't been assasinated by the Ukrainians or fired by Putin) is still sufficiently arrogant to imagine that the Ukrainians couldn't strike back at Russia even though Belgorod is like a few minutes flight from Ukraine.
I'm cheering these guys on more with every passing day, I'm not the only one either there are several houses round here flying Ukrainian flags.

yeah, why? I wasn't saying that was also Ukrainian stuff, just that there seems to be a lot of stuff going on in that town with things blowing up. Which is odd, right?
Yeh. But this entire situation isn't exactly normal. So sure this could have been a Ukrainian attack. But it could equally have been an accident or false flag, and until more evidence one way or another emerges I'm keeping an open mind. The only official or politician who's thus far called it as a Ukrainian attack is a regional governor, not someone in Moscow or Kyiv

It may well prove to be. But at this stage and with no claim from Kyiv of responsibility I'm not yet sure
It makes sense that for operational security that they wouldn't claim it yet. At this point, I think it's the Ukrainians. I'm open for any of 2 out of 3 possibilities:

1. Ukraine saw the opportunity and had the means. They have a history of attacking into Russia as they did early on with missiles.
2. Russians are attacking Russia for #because - we've heard reports of Rus on Rus forces: tank battle, FSB, Russians turning coat.

not so much open for:
3. False flag - which makes no sense. There's already a war. What would it greenlight that isn't already being done? If Russia is itching to use chemical they wouldn't need to actually damage their own strategic resources especially when failure is looming.

Weird reporting from the Graun here suggesting It's somehow contradictory that Russian forces are setting up ways for people to flee Mariupol but not letting in aid. I mean ... it's a siege. What part of dispersing its inhabitants where possible while starving those who remain to fight wouldn't make sense?

Reactions: tim
Feels like a big turning point - taking the war into Russia.

I could certainly see a Russian military collapse on the cards now.

Still quite remote but - 7/20 generals killed, tactical retreats, enemy striking deep behind your lines at super valuable logistics - that’s an army that seems to be losing.

Trying to think of precedents for it - invasions by a corrupt force that results in destruction of that force/power..?

Classical parallels - maybe Mark Antony’s invasion of Persia?

Do you think the helicopters might have accidentally flown 30km over the border or that they accidentally pressed the 'fire' button when they got there?
The only thing I was arguing was wait for confirmation. When the only evidence you have is of two silhouetted helicopters of a type used by Russia it makes sense imo to wait for further information before declaring a conclusion.

Still quite remote but - 7/20 generals killed, tactical retreats, enemy striking deep behind your lines at super valuable logistics - that’s an army that seems to be losing.

Trying to think of precedents for it - invasions by a corrupt force that results in destruction of that force/power..?

Argentina and the Falklands?
Pretty sure they've done previous raids into Russia. It may be that they can muster enough forces to do this occasionally but not enough to make a significant difference. For Ukraine to properly defeat Russia they need to able to conduct big offensive operations - like relieving Mariupol. So far they have been launching small scale but successful counter attacks and have retaken territory around Kiev. Not saying it will happen - but I do think a russian military collapse in the NE/NW is possible - we know their morale is poor and their logistics are in trouble - but they still might be able to defend positions.
Mentioned upthread that apparently the UA have more tanks then when they started thanks to the Russians abandoning so much kit .

Last edited:

Mark Antony never invaded Persia. You might be thinking of crassus

Russia hasn't actually been destroyed yet so what about Vietnam? Parallels in terms of mindless brutality and loss of civilian lives too.

FWIW I don't think Pickman's model is being unreasonable in first seeking confirmation.

There can be a natural inclination to lean into route one 'common sense' explanations, but in fast-moving, complex yet emotionally-charged situations this doesn't always lend itself to unalloyed accuracy. The shitshow that was Urban75 on 22/7/05 would be an example of this.

FWIW I don't think Pickman's model is being unreasonable in first seeking confirmation.

There can be a natural inclination to lean into route one 'common sense' explanations, but in fast-moving, complex yet emotionally-charged situations this doesn't always lend itself to unalloyed accuracy. The shitshow that was Urban75 on 22/7/05 would be an example of this.
Russia blowing up its own oil tanks REALLY doesn't make sense on any level.

See, I can see Pickman's model's point that it's always worth being a bit sceptical about Great Triumphs, but I think the idea that this is some cunning ruse to arouse the Great Russian People in their Rightous Hatred of the Heirs of the Hitlerite Hoardes is well off kilter.

A false flag is a political operation to produce a desired result - is burning down an oil refinery going to do that? Nah, what will do that is killing 500 kids by bombing a junior school - and we know that Vlad has got the weapons grade ruthlessness to do that.

It's possible of course - and we've seen some spectacular incompetence - but only on a par with the possibility of Gillian Anderson inviting Eva Green and myself to a weekend of lusty debauchery at her Edinburgh flat.

Back
Top Bottom