Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

I'm not a fan of J K Rowling. I can't stand her fiction, what I've read of it. But just because Putin misrepresents her views on transgender issues it's no reason to divert this thread into an attack on those views, and to assume a correspondence between Putin and Rowling is crap. Has Rowling advocated war, siege, starvation, saturation bombing, ethnic cleansing, show trials, etc etc? No, of course she hasn't. Has she said that she agrees with Putin on anything at all? Specifically Putin's views rather than just opinions anyone might have about anything at all? Course not. Is she in favour of denazifying the Ukraine by destruction and mass murder? No. I thought not.

While I'd note that the reason Putin mentioned Rowling was clearly because the well-known reactionary piece of shit sees her as an a fellow traveller in the specific arena of oppressing trans people (no-one having accused her of cheerleading mass murder) and that's why it's brought up, fair enough we shouldn't be derailing the thread or offering reasons to dig up That Argument again. Mea culpa.

I'm not a fan of J K Rowling. I can't stand her fiction, what I've read of it. But just because Putin misrepresents her views on transgender issues it's no reason to divert this thread into an attack on those views, and to assume a correspondence between Putin and Rowling is crap. Has Rowling advocated war, siege, starvation, saturation bombing, ethnic cleansing, show trials, etc etc? No, of course she hasn't. Has she said that she agrees with Putin on anything at all? Specifically Putin's views rather than just opinions anyone might have about anything at all? Course not. Is she in favour of denazifying the Ukraine by destruction and mass murder? No. I thought not.

I don't think anyone is seriously claiming that Rowling is a Putin fan - I rather suspect that she's mortified to have her name dropped like that. But it does serve as a timely reminder how one's prejudices can be weaponised by others.

look up the name Maria Dubovickoria and the valdai club

seemings like proganda to me

no doubt shitty things are happening its a war after all
but i'd not trust Marias take on it
So someone would film themselves doing war crimes then send the footage to a Russian propagandist for sharing on social media. Seems legit.

So someone would film themselves doing war crimes then send the footage to a Russian propagandist for sharing on social media. Seems legit.
no but someone with links to the Russian government would jump at a chance to publish anything that highlights to barbarity of the Ukraine Nazi to score point in the hearts and minds of people at home and abroad

could post 100 videos similar to that from both side Reddit is full of em

saying that Russia is the one bombing civilians, schools and hospitals

some anger from the Ukrainian side is slightly understandable as war is shite

Not read any of J K Rowling's books, but am aware she pretty much got a generation into reading..(no bad thing)

More, for me, about Putin,. Who, having launched Russia into a disaster of a war, offer's his supporters nothing but absurd justifiaction for his folly.

war is shite

Which is why we outsource it to nutters such as likesfish, kebabking, dylanredefined and so on.

It is shit.

People’s lives stop because of it and they stop in nasty, painful ways.

Putin decreed that people on both sides should suffer it.

I would rather not see films such as that one, even though we know it is happening. I don’t think it helps inform anything much.

agree myself thankfully we not had to many examples posted here it's about id you want to find it

gotten pass looking at shit like that on the internet myself

agree myself thankfully we not had to many examples posted here it's about id you want to find it

gotten pass looking at shit like that on the internet myself
I’ve been avoiding it as best I can, but people post it in comments beneath other people’s tweets, the POW stuff is being spammed around like fuck by bots/tankies/alt-right types, clearly seen as a propaganda victory.

I did see some bleak as fuck stuff from Mariupol today, bodies piled in the street outside what was reported as a morgue, just dozens and dozens piled up like rubbish, half naked civilians, some clearly emaciated. Looked like some of the footage from WW2 concentration camps. Proper horrible, can’t get it out of my head. At the same time you feel the world needs to see this, but also needs to see the same from Aleppo, Yemen etc. War is horrible shit.

Russia shouldn't be able to wreck Ukraine, leave when it wants and then have sanctions lifted as if everything's fine.

No, but sanctions need to be deployed (edit: and withdrawn) rationally and in consequence of what is actually happening. I mean if there’s a negotiated peace and sanctions aren’t removed, what’s the point in entering into negotiations?

Last edited:
Anyone see this? https://www.channel4.com/programmes/falklands-war-the-untold-story/on-demand/72469-001 Some of the British senior officers were as hopeless as the Russian army is today. No exaggeration to say that we would have lost if we hadn't had help from Pinochet.
Not watched the program but aware of what content would be. (I once had the privilige of working with a FCO types that got gonged for their work in Chile). Russia, even at the time didn't think it could have done what UK did with regarrds Falklands. Part of the reason Thatcher was the top table intermediary between US CCCP

No, but sanctions need to be deployed rationally and in consequence of what is actually happening. I mean if there’s a negotiated peace and sanctions aren’t removed, what’s the point in entering into negotiations?
I get that and also that too harsh a punishment can give rise to nationalists as they see themselves as the victims. But it looks as if Putin could spitefully level cities if he's capable. They've done enough already. Imagine the cost of rebuilding.

Russia shouldn't be able to wreck Ukraine, leave when it wants and then have sanctions lifted as if everything's fine.
Agreed its the result of the negative aspects of the interdependancies of globalisation, we deal with anyone if it suits us economically, moral considerations are very much at the bottom of the priorities list despite the bullshit facade of care that Western Governments like to present

When Mariupol is rebuilt to the last brick and window, Ukrainian flag is flying above, and every man, woman and child who left Ukraine as refugees are home and safe, then sanctions against Russia should end. Not a day before.
Well I would add when Putin is swinging from a lamppost as well but yeah we can compromise and go with your suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom