Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

He wants the city without the people.
As Mariupol was a Russian-speaking city that voted for parties that favoured closer links with Russia, this probably wasn't the intention. There's a grim paradox in the fact that the people who have born the brunt of this invasion are those who lived in areas that were most ambivalent about the Ukrainian state. As to what Putin wanted". He might have believed his own propaganda and assumed that the Russian army would be welcomed as liberators. There was a precedent for this as the annexation of Crimea was achieved fairly easily and whilst the referendum result was clearly rigged most locals seem to have accepted the change of sovereignty.

Last edited:
As Mariupol was a Russian-speaking city that voted for parties that favoured closer links with Russia, this probably wasn't the intention. There's a grim paradox in the fact that the people who have born the brunt of this invasion are those who lived in areas that were most ambivalent about the Ukrainian state.
It probably wasn't what was originally envisaged, but I think it is intentional. It's a hostile population in Mariupol (five or six weeks ago, they might have favoured closer links with Russia, but not like this), and Putin doesn't want them.

Putin, and others of that Ilk, probably see Russian speaking Ukrainians as having betrayed them.

Here he is, he's brought his tank Armies to liberate them at great economic cost, and they spurn him like an adulterous wife. Well, he'll show them the price of disloyalty to the Motherland....

The man - the ideology - is a grade A cunt. Don't be surprised if he thinks, emotes, and acts like one.

Strange story here- says that Ukraine is using face recognition tech to identify dead Russian soldiers and inform their relatives of what has happened to them.

There's this story about the bodies of Russian soldiers, Ukrainian authorities are trying to get people to collect the bodies before the temperature really starts to rise.

A website and Telegram channel established by the Ukrainian Ministry of Internal Affairs, aimed at Russian families, publishes a steady stream of photos of dead soldiers and captured young men, sometimes alongside their identity cards. The name of the site, 200rf.com, is a grim nod to Gruz-200, or Cargo-200, a military code word that came into use in the 1980s during the war in Afghanistan, used by the Soviets for the bodies of soldiers placed in zinc-lined coffins for transport.

But identifying dead Russian soldiers has been a difficult task. Andrusiv said only 30 have been found on the Telegram channel by their relatives, who scan through gruesome images of those killed in action for clues about whether their loved ones are alive or dead. Ukrainian forces send Andrusov images of deserted bodies, but they're often unrecognizable and have no documents on them
"It's very difficult to identify the dead because normally they don't have documents with them, normally the commanders take their documents and put them in some boxes. Normally they die in this fire, in shelling. And you cannot identify the metal 'dog tags,' where their number is written, it gives us no information about the person," Andrusiv said.

Last edited:
Putin seems to genuinely believe he has the upper hand. How much of this is show and good acting on his part? Europe will stop using Russian energy eventually and that will be a heavy blow to Russia's future. Would it take energy sales being cut off for the Russian elites to stop supporting Putin?

I wonder how many trees they plant for each hospital or shopping centre they bomb...
I don't think collateral damage is included heck I don't even think ordinance is covered (though the CO2 emmisson of a MOAB for example is calculable) but Id probably start with phosporus if was doing elements in weapons) Carbon neutral that's for things like it propulsion and logistics and if the Pentagon reckons it can do that be 2050 means DARPA have given them a workable path

Ukrainian authorities say with the weather getting warmer, the Russian bodies strewn across the landscape in some areas are starting to rot and Moscow hasn't shown much interest in getting them back.

"The problem with Russian bodies is really huge. It's thousands of them. Before the war, the weather was cold, it was okay but now we have problems because Russians don't want to take the bodies," Andrusiv said. "I actually don't know what we will do in the next weeks with their bodies."

With the news from Mariupol, I wonder what will happen if Russia gets to the border of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts, stops and then proclaims a ceasefire?

Ukrainian authorities say with the weather getting warmer, the Russian bodies strewn across the landscape in some areas are starting to rot and Moscow hasn't shown much interest in getting them back.

"The problem with Russian bodies is really huge. It's thousands of them. Before the war, the weather was cold, it was okay but now we have problems because Russians don't want to take the bodies," Andrusiv said. "I actually don't know what we will do in the next weeks with their bodies."

Grim.

Latest episode of Sinica has an interview with a professor of international relations at Jinan University in Guangzhou.

Summing up a bit below, this is just a surface read of what they're discussing and some implications, not necessarily fully thought out from me.

My main takeaway is that general stalling is meeting denial and that that is somewhat inflated by general bureaucratic slowness. Relationship remains solid, but assessment of Russia's changing position is ongoing, and takes time (podcast was recorded 17th for reference). There will be changes in the 'tactical' expression of that relationship (I think this probably means things like level of voiced support, financial aid etc), but the strategic element doesn't change. That said there are probably cracks there... The worldviews are not exactly the same; China has benefitted enormously from western led international order, Russia has not (or I suppose has benefitted a very select group of people).

For Russia, or more accurately Russian elites, there may be a desire to return to the old order (or a romanticised view thereof). This isn't so true of China; China sees the US led world as a threat in security terms, but purely that. It wants changes to that order that fit better with the Chinese worldview, but it is very much in Chinese interests to preserve that order.

Also interesting note that all communication between Xi and Putin will be in very formal settings, through translators. Xi probably doesn't actually have a very good sense of the man.

Final interesting perspective; Russia asking China for military aid doesn't make a lot of sense. In the context of this partnership, Russia is usually the supplier. For them going to China for aid would be a signal of a disastrous breakdown in the ability to conduct a war. But there are military deals between the two, and perhaps there is room for fudging around the edges.

On a side note, both from this and recent discussions (today or yesterday) there may be hints toward some changes in China-India relations on the cards. There have been talks between India's foreign minister and Wang Yi where there was agreement on importance of an immediate ceasefire in Ukraine. Reuters has a few different articles going on this, and it's a bit annoying unpicking them, and should be working. But there's other stuff in there - deescalation at border mentioned, desire for normal relations mentioned.

With transcript (I don't know if this version is paywalled):

Last edited:
Putin appears to be spending to much time uncritically reading incel forums and Mumsnet.

Or to long speaking to Oliver Dowden.

This has been a running theme from the Kremlin for some time now. See also the positive relationship with Tucker Carlson, Trump etc.

Reactions: Ax^

In about 5/10 years you'll be reading about programmes (officially frowned upon under the post-Putin successor regime, but approved by whoever will be ruling in Kyiv) for the identification of Russian bodies using DNA.

Experience from Africa and Latin America will be especially relevant here.

Back
Top Bottom