Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Min of Defence Shoigu and Chief of General Staff Gerasimov MIA
9 Generals arrested
8 Generals KIA
14 Colonels KIA
15 Lt Colonels KIA
1 Navy Captain / Deputy Commander, Black Sea Fleet KIA.

9 Generals arrested
8 Generals KIA
14 Colonels KIA
15 Lt Colonels KIA
In other good news, rumours that ultra-nationalist politician ’Mad’ Vlad Zhirinovsky has died of Covid. Posted on Twatter by a Russian news outlet then hastily deleted, but he was known to be seriously ill with it.

In other good news, rumours that ultra-nationalist politician ’Mad’ Vlad Zhirinovsky has died of Covid. Posted on Twatter by a Russian news outlet then hastily deleted, but he was known to be seriously ill with it.
Never heard of him, but just looked him up and seen he's leader of the Russian Liberal Democrats, so now I have a really poor opinion of him.

Never heard of him, but just looked him up and seen he's leader of the Russian Liberal Democrats, so now I have a really poor opinion of him.
From the opposition party, who opposes Putin from the right. Not very liberal or democratic.

Here he is boasting about the forthcoming invasion of Ukraine in December, letting the cat out of the bag a bit.

Putin appears to be spending to much time uncritically reading incel forums and Mumsnet.

Or to long speaking to Oliver Dowden.

TBF he is not wrong about the film thing, it’s bad enough how Hollywood airbrushes us out of that war (or outright steals things) but their contribution really is almost completely ignored.

Apart from “Enemy at the Gates” (and even that was almost entirely Western cast) how many other English language films have told any of the stories of what happened there?

Hopefully I can take this as the largest sign yet of Russias failure to achieve certain objectives such as taking Kyiv, and that it represents their attempt to spin everything as a success whilst also massively curtailing their remaining ambitions....

The chief of the Russian army says Russia will now focus its main war effort on the "complete liberation" of the eastern Ukrainian Donbas region.

The defence ministry said Russia had been considering two options for its "special military operation" - one covering the whole of Ukraine and one focusing on the Donbas.

The comments - carried by Russian state news agencies - hinted at a possible downgrading of Russia's war aims. Russian forces have met strong resistance in the north of Ukraine and around Kyiv.

Sergey Rudskoy, head of the main operational department of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces, said 93% of Luhansk oblast and 54% of Donetsk oblast was under Russian control.

Russia had destroyed the vast majority of Ukraine's air force and navy, and this marked the successful end of the first phase of the conflict, he added.

However, the defence ministry did not rule out storming Ukrainian cities that had been blockaded and said Russia would react immediately to any move to close airspace over Ukraine - something President Zelensky has repeatedly urged.

The ministry also said Russia would continue its invasion until targets set by Putin had been achieved, Ria news agency reported, without specifying what the targets were.

From the 13:59 entry of the BBC live updates page https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60856533

TBF he is not wrong about the film thing, it’s bad enough how Hollywood airbrushes us out of that war (or outright steals things) but their contribution really is almost completely ignored.

Apart from “Enemy at the Gates” (and even that was almost entirely Western cast) how many other English language films have told any of the stories of what happened there?
I suspect the Russian film industry hasn't been great at depicting the Western front, either. People are interested in what their grandparents did, and less keen on what someone 5000 miles away's grandparents did. Most history books aren't shy about how the war was won with Soviet blood.

If I'm being generous, you could argue the Western front is somewhat more cinematic. Outside of Kursk and a couple other battles, the Eastern front was a meat grinder.

Updates list

9 Generals arrested
8 Generals KIA
15 Colonels KIA
15 Lt Colonels KIA

One of the early Call of Duty games had some Stalingrad and assault on Berlin missions. Does that count?

Hopefully I can take this as the largest sign yet of Russias failure to achieve certain objectives such as taking Kyiv, and that it represents their attempt to spin everything as a success whilst also massively curtailing their remaining ambitions....

From the 13:59 entry of the BBC live updates page https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60856533

Yeah noticed activity on the border on liveuamap over the last few days... But also seem to be as active as ever around Chernihiv? Dunno.

There's probably also a dearth of major Soviet/Russian films about the Battle of Okinawa, tbf - does Putin think Hollywood could produce a Stalingrad film that could equal those from Russia?

it's not necessarily gonna mean the end of the war. they can continue bombing and shelling kyiv, the west of the country etc while only actually bothering to fight on the ground in Donbass and aim to get Ukr government to accept secession/independence of Donbass in return for ceasefire / end of shelling of Kyiv

I don't trust anything on this fwiw. We seem to periodically get these notices that x or y negotiation has progressed, but the devastation continues.

There's probably also a dearth of major Soviet/Russian films about the Battle of Okinawa, tbf - does Putin think Hollywood could produce a Stalingrad film that could equal those from Russia?

I suspect the Russian film industry hasn't been great at depicting the Western front, either. People are interested in what their grandparents did, and less keen on what someone 5000 miles away's grandparents did. Most history books aren't shy about how the war was won with Soviet blood.

If I'm being generous, you could argue the Western front is somewhat more cinematic. Outside of Kursk and a couple other battles, the Eastern front was a meat grinder.

The Russian film industry is much smaller than Hollywood though, and whilst I agree there is always a need to make films that (domestic) audiences relate to I think it’s also true that a global industry should do more to cover what goes on abroad. I mean the alternative is more bad remakes of stories we’ve all seen several times.

but how many russian made films have they made were Americans are the hero's

Back
Top Bottom