Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Well now.

View attachment 315705

El Putino's claim that Ukraine is Nazi is a load of fucking shite. That still leaves a lot of room for nasty behaviour (I won't post the pics of alleged Roma allegedly tied to lampposts by Ukrainian vigilantes, you can find them easily enough if you want to).

I wouldn't want to be an ethnic Russian on the wrong side of the lines when eastern Ukraine is liberated from the invaders.
I know nothing about the details of any of this, but it is worth pointing out that Budapest is in Hungary, part of the EU, with its own right wing government. As for ethnic Russians, and indeed Russian speaking Ukrainians, many of them have been fighting for Ukraine and being attacked by the Russian Army and artillery.

I know nothing about the details of any of this, but it is worth pointing out that Budapest is in Hungary, part of the EU, with its own right wing government. As for ethnic Russians, and indeed Russian speaking Ukrainians, many of them have been fighting for Ukraine and being attacked by the Russian Army and artillery.
I don't doubt that for one second.

I don't doubt either that once the smoke clears, certain people who were conspicuous by their absence on the actual front lines will celebrate the liberation of the national territory by excluding, violently, those whose face doesn't fit.

I don't doubt either that once the smoke clears, certain people who were conspicuous by their absence on the actual front lines will celebrate the liberation of the national territory by excluding, violently, those whose face doesn't fit.
That's what's happening now. Ukrainians are the target, though.

Are you an expert in ukrainian life or just a bit racist throwing around your own ideas?

That's what's happening now. Ukrainians are the target, though.
In the Napoleonic-era fort above Dubrovnik there's a museum of the Yugoslav civil war.

When I was there in 2016 the hall with exhibits of the siege of Dubrovnik by Serb forces was kitted out with bilingual (Croatian and English) captions to those exhibits which set out the devastating effect of Serb war crimes on the population of that city.

The hall with exhibits of Operation Storm - the ethnic cleansing of the Serbs from Krajina in 1995 - only has captions in Croatian.

Hungary is tricky- the borderland contain lots of ethnic groupings that don’t identify fully as Hungarian but also as Serbian etc. there will be a level of knee jerk support for Russia within those communities, just because of history and alliances and shit

Loads of racists in Hungary who hate Roma people. Lots of bigoted people in the UK who sadly hate Gypsies and other travelling people so I'm not sure I see the pint that this is trying to make.

Not sure where you get your second point from, I'm sure along with the Ukrainian anarchists, communists LGBTQ+ people and trade unionists fighting and dying there are lots of people you wouldn't want to have at a dinner party, including I'm sure landlords, people who would be Torys here and even a few people with racist views. I think your post might say a bit more about you than about people in Ukraine...

Loads of racists in Hungary who hate Roma people. Lots of bigoted people in the UK who sadly hate Gypsies and other travelling people so I'm not sure I see the pint that this is trying to make.

Not sure where you get your second point from, I'm sure along with the Ukrainian anarchists, communists LGBTQ+ people and trade unionists fighting and dying there are lots of people you wouldn't want to have at a dinner party, including I'm sure landlords, people who would be Torys here and even a few people with racist views. I think your post might say a bit more about you than about people in Ukraine...
What I hope it says about me is that I'm pessimist who hopes and thinks Ukraine should win, and will win (it may take weeks or it may take years, but it will win), but that there's no good reason to think that all will be well in the wake of victory.

What I hope it says about me is that I'm pessimist who hopes and thinks Ukraine should win, and will win (it may take weeks or it may take years, but it will win), but that there's no good reason to think that all will be well in the wake of victory.
I'm not sure anyone thinks it will be anything other than pretty shit, win lose or draw.

If the west sanctions Russia it loses vodka, some wheat and lots of gas. If it sanctions China it loses access to its entire industrial base and closes down eBay
Where will the foot fetish people buy their second hand sneakers then?

Last edited:
The pictures you're referring to are widely known to be Russian-made fakes. In Russia itself, they're widely used by the media to whip up anti-Ukrainian sentiment.
Genuine question - have they been shown to be fake? They'd be very easy to fake, given how post-Soviet Russian and Ukrainian lamp-posts must look, and how easy it is to tape someone to them. But that would surely make it harder to debunk them as fakes, wouldn't it?

Genuine question - have they been shown to be fake? They'd be very easy to fake, given how post-Soviet Russian and Ukrainian lamp-posts must look, and how easy it is to tape someone to them. But that would surely make it harder to debunk them as fakes, wouldn't it?

I was thinking of something else, namely the 'crucifiction' story from 2014 which was staged by Russia and attributed to Ukrainian fash.

The pictures you're referring to are widely known to be Russian-made fakes. In Russia itself, they're widely used by the media to whip up anti-Ukrainian sentiment.
"Widely known". Evidence of this widely known thing please.

ETA: I did post those images on another thread (behind a spoiler). I wouldn't like to be posting putinist misinformation on here. Then again, the constant portrayal of Ukraine as a land that has fantastic and harmonious race relations and the outright denial of any fashy conduct, is hard to believe.

Last edited:
"Widely known". Evidence of this widely known thing please.

ETA: I did post those images on another thread (behind a spoiler). I wouldn't like to be posting putinist misinformation on here. Then again, the constant portrayal of Ukraine as a land that has fantastic and harmonious race relations and the outright denial of any fashy conduct, is hard to believe.

As per my other post, I got my wires crossed on this. There are indeed legitimate (ie non-Russian) reports of Azov types attacking Roma folk in Ukraine. I'm not going to go looking for any pictures.

Back
Top Bottom