Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

On the logistics front...

It appears as if the Russians are looking to reinforce their logistics capacity by sending in farm trucks, minibuses, and the odd people carrier.

It says two things (assuming, of course, that it's true) a) that shit has gone badly wrong, and b) that whoever thought this was a good idea has not considered how a deployed army might possibly keep this rag-tag fleet usable.

One shot wonder - use it, and as soon as it breaks just push it off the road?

I'm getting really worried that if this drags on long term and the republicans get back into power in the US it could turn very bad for the Ukrainians.

Which basically means I am supporting the Democrats and basically want them to act more imperialist.

Really makes me question my own perspective and how right I am.

I think one of the diffcult things people struggle with, especially some of the left, is the complexity of there not being a clear right and wrong or good and bad when it comes to decisions and things to support or do in situations like this, but varying shades of everything in-between the extremes.

It appears as if the Russians are looking to reinforce their logistics capacity by sending in farm trucks, minibuses, and the odd people carrier.

It says two things (assuming, of course, that it's true) a) that shit has gone badly wrong, and b) that whoever thought this was a good idea has not considered how a deployed army might possibly keep this rag-tag fleet usable.

Temp measure will they get their shit together?

Yes I know, I was just being hilarious .

Looks a bit funny, but potentially the distance between the desk holding the mics in front and long depth of field could be making that look deceptively flat and odd looking. The camera filming would probably been quite a distance away and zoomed in somewhat so that might be all it is. The lighting on the outside of the mic that makes it look cut out in the low Res Twitter image is in keeping with the light on all the people in video. Again this does make it look odd, but personally I would give it the benefit of the doubt, as it's not really the biggest issue and not much really hinges on the outcome one way or another. Putin is still obviously a bit mental, or playing a wild card character to keep people guessing and uncomfortable.
I was hoping you'd spot the chair they shopped out.

I think one of the diffcult things people struggle with, especially some of the left, is the complexity of there not being a clear right and wrong or good and bad when it comes to decisions and things to support or do in situations like this, but varying shades of everything in-between the extremes.
Totally agree.

Which I think makes it important to question our own reactions and consider we might me wrong about some shit.

FNHnk4jX0AIJ65M

scary advance military power of the russians

:hmm:

Really good twitter thread here on the logistics issue and why it might be so disastrous for the Russian army at the moment.

Here are the author's credentials: Professor of Strategic Studies, University St Andrews, Author: How the War was Won, and Second Most Powerful Man in the World. Editor in Chief, War in History

They've been using civilian transit vans since day one. Not that it isn't getting worse, but still.

I'm seriously considering painting a big Z on my knackered old Clio in the hope I can get full bat on the insurance when someone chucks a rocket at it

Conscript forces you can only be so tough on.
if it's seen as a war for national survival you can appeal to their patriotism send them off on an adventure that isn't terribly popular.
The Problem is when the entire workforce is armed and have been at least slightly trained to kill pushing them to do something they don't want to do may end badly. 😲

Spares, the inevitable repairs, presumably they may now need to start resupplying with petrol as well as diesel...

And how on earth is a Ford Transit (other makes are available) going to cope with the sort of terrain where Urals and tracked vehicles are already struggling? It'd only take a foot-deep pothole to ground one of those, and it'd probably break something if it fell in at any kind of speed. This must be desperation, assuming it isn't some seriously twisted bit of maskirovka.

The nightmare scenarios keeping me on edge, fwiw...

1. Putin gets so frustrated with the lack of progress on the ground that he nukes Kyiv.

2. Putin says, now "Ukraine is Russia and all Ukrainians are Russians, so the rest of the world must detain them or otherwise prevent them from returning home to fight. Any country that will not, is at war with Russia "

3. The USA chucks its 'allies' under the bus as Putin assures Biden that Russia won't attack the US if they don't get involved in Europe. Biden calculates the outcomes of US cities getting nuked and pulls out of NATO.

I'm not sleeping well just now. For the first time in near 40 years, nuclear war looks like it might happen for real :(

Temp measure will they get their shit together?

I don't know - I see a three horse race:

1) Russian artillery mass pummelling Ukrainian cities to appoint where Ukraine surrenders.

2) The Russian Army in Ukraine literally running out of food and fuel, and walking home.

3) the Russian economy tanking/the internal politics in the Kremlin forcing a climb-down or a coup.

It's whether 2 or 3 get to the line before 1.

This bit is terrifying.

"real global horror will begin by the summer - global famine is inevitable
Most of the worlds grain comes from Ukraine and Russia."
That's actually not at all true. (It might be a translation issue.) Most of Russia's grain comes from Russia. China is the biggest importer of Ukrainian grain.
But yes, Ukraine is going to be very hungry long before June. In fact, they're hungry right now in Mariupol.
:(
eg:
(Search for other grains)

Spares, the inevitable repairs, presumably they may now need to start resupplying with petrol as well as diesel...

And how on earth is a Ford Transit (other makes are available) going to cope with the sort of terrain where Urals and tracked vehicles are already struggling? It'd only take a foot-deep pothole to ground one of those, and it'd probably break something if it fell in at any kind of speed. This must be desperation, assuming it isn't some seriously twisted bit of maskirovka.

aye every knows if you want to wage a war you need a toyota hylux/ landcruser

That's actually not at all true. (It might be a translation issue.) Most of Russia's grain comes from Russia. China is the biggest importer of Ukrainian grain.
But yes, Ukraine is going to be very hungry long before June. In fact, they're hungry right now in Mariupol.
:(
eg:
(Search for other grains)

Oh.. I interpreted the meaning as most of Europe gets grain from Ukraine and that Europe could potentially have a massive shortage?

Ukraine was always seen as the bread basket of Europe

I don't know - I see a three horse race:

1) Russian artillery mass pummelling Ukrainian cities to appoint where Ukraine surrenders.

2) The Russian Army in Ukraine literally running out of food and fuel, and walking home.

3) the Russian economy tanking/the internal politics in the Kremlin forcing a climb-down or a coup.

It's whether 2 or 3 get to the line before 1.

I'd like to choose number three please.

Back
Top Bottom