Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

’We’ got pissy when Saddam started parading bedraggled captured pilots on TV. It’s not OK, even in the current circumstances.
Erm, you're posting like you're taking issue with and objecting to something I said, but whereabouts in my post did I say it was okay? I don't see what your imaginary disagreement is based on.

Head injuries notoriously bleed profusely, often look much worse than they are.

He's very likely to have sustained injury in crash landing, which of course doesn't also rule out being whacked on the head by someone, but if I was a betting person I'd be putting money on injury sustained while falling out of the sky at high speed.

Ejection is pretty violent.

More Putin stuff.

Fuck alone knows what's going on - he sits at one end of a 50ft table to talk to his most senior mil officers, then fakes an 'up close and personal' briefing on the current operations to a group of (checks notes) trainee air stewards.

The world's on fucking crack.

There's a possibility that could just be down to camera angle.

Erm, you're posting like you're taking issue with and objecting to something I said, but whereabouts in my post did I say it was okay? I don't see what your imaginary disagreement is based on.
apologies, that was a general point on the issue not directed at you! I was just quoting you as a way of continuing the conversation on it as the comment by itself might not have flowed with the main thread which jumps around a bit, if that follows.

Mike also - literally - wrote the book on our escapade in Helmand. It's called An intimate war, it was originally a PhD thesis the Army paid for (Mike was an Army officer at the time), which was then published in book form.

It was, err... not overly complimentary.

Mike also - literally - wrote the book on our escapade in Helmand. It's called An intimate war, it was originally a PhD thesis the Army paid for (Mike was an Army officer at the time), which was then published in book form.

Worth a read?

Oh I didn't clock that was him!

Worth a read?

I have little to no knowledge to base it on, or compare it to, but it was a great read I thought, and made lots of sense. It's a bit anthropological, a bit historical, and a bit then using those to explain why the military strategy just didn't work as it was thought it might. It was discussed or at least mentioned somewhere else on the forum. There's a whole load of anthropological stuff used by the US that's a bit related. Human Terrain System - Wikipedia

There's a good summary/review of the book here View of Mike Martin. An Intimate War: An Oral History of the Helmand Conflict. London, UK: C. Hurst & Co., 2014. and bit more here An Incompetent War: Britain in Helmand - War on the Rocks

The Russian equivalent to be written in 2025 might be one page with this in big type...

WE JUST FUCKED EVERYTHING UP.

I have little to no knowledge to base it on, or compare it to, but it was a great read I thought, and made lots of sense. It's a bit anthropological, a bit historical, and a bit then using those to explain why the military strategy just didn't work as it was thought it might. It was discussed or at least mentioned somewhere else on the forum. There's a whole load of anthropological stuff used by the US that's a bit related. Human Terrain System - Wikipedia

There's a good summary/review of the book here View of Mike Martin. An Intimate War: An Oral History of the Helmand Conflict. London, UK: C. Hurst & Co., 2014. and bit more here An Incompetent War: Britain in Helmand - War on the Rocks

The Russian equivalent to be written in 2025 might be one page with this in big type...

Russia must have known they were in trouble when Trump called Putin a genius

Definitely. A political, military (not just at a senior level), intelligence and diplomatic catastrophe.

Brilliantly researched, and very well thought out.

Yeah I am very interested by work that includes some anthropological element these days, and sounds like he put the work in. I like a good popular history tome, but really don't think they're that useful beyond basic information... thing I've increasingly started to realise is that the key to human conflict is the humans. Contradictory, messy, brilliant and fucking stupid by turns. Stochastics I suppose. I shall place it beside the enormous pile of books on China I haven't read yet.

Back
Top Bottom