Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Brave pilot, and a useful development if it ever comes to identifying war crimes.
War crimes have been not only identified but also investigated and some culprits convicted over the last 2 years

Brave pilot, and a useful development if it ever comes to identifying war crimes.
Very brave.

The pilot told HUR’s chatbot that he and some of his colleagues – at military unit 06987, based at Engels Airfield in Russia’s Saratov Oblast – were shocked by the attack on Ukraine’s largest kid’s hospital – including many with cancer and others there being treated for injuries from previous Russian attacks – and couldn’t understand why they were forced to attack Ukrainian civilian infrastructure.

And for all those people insisting that Ukraine should reach an agreement with THE RUSSIAN STATE how can you trust war criminals who deliberately target hospitals?

As highlighted by numerous international rights organizations, Russia has repeatedly targeted Ukrainian hospitals since 2022. One of the first of many hospital attacks since Russia began its full-scale invasion of Ukraine, was a maternity hospital in the now-decimated city of Mariupol – which had a population of about 430,000 before the war.

It's really strange that the saviours of the day are nato countries, despite the alliance's long and bloody history of targeting civilians. If the russians are untrustworthy, so too are the likes of the United States, Canada, the UK, france and Italy. Yet it is on them the hopes of Ukraine rest

It's really strange that the saviours of the day are nato countries, despite the alliance's long and bloody history of targeting civilians. If the russians are untrustworthy, so too are the likes of the United States, Canada, the UK, france and Italy. Yet it is on them the hopes of Ukraine rest
It is slightly different. NATO sees civilian casualties a fuckup, or the dreaded "collateral damage" when attacking legitimate targets. Russia just flat out targets the hospitals in the first place and pins a medal on the guy what done it. I'm not giving NATO a free ride there and they were way too casual about it in Yugoslavia, but intent does matter.

The shit that goes on in Gaza right now would be completely unacceptable. I can speak to UK training at least that British soldiers would be well within their rights to refuse orders and report their superiors for some of the things the Israelis have done. Blowing up a working hospital because maybe a half dozen baddies are hiding in a tunnel under it would get someone court martialed at the very least. There are whole handbooks on what constitutes Proportional Response.

(Read Chapter 4 - I think we do hold ourselves to a higher standard)
1720788881740.png

Edit to add: Of course laws sometimes get broken, or we wouldn't have such apparatus about to deal with it. I think how we treat these lapses is even more important than compliance to the law itself. Even the Americans no longer pin medals on people for napalming villages.

Last edited:
It is slightly different. NATO sees civilian casualties a fuckup, or the dreaded "collateral damage" when attacking legitimate targets. Russia just flat out targets the hospitals in the first place and pins a medal on the guy what done it. I'm not giving NATO a free ride there and they were way too casual about it in Yugoslavia, but intent does matter.

The shit that goes on in Gaza right now would be completely unacceptable. I can speak to UK training at least that British soldiers would be well within their rights to refuse orders and report their superiors for some of the things the Israelis have done. Blowing up a working hospital because maybe a half dozen baddies are hiding in a tunnel under it would get someone court martialed at the very least. There are whole handbooks on what constitutes Proportional Response.

View attachment 433085
Nah, Nato has probably deliberately targeted hospitals as as well, and if they haven't Israel certainty has.

But bringing that up is just to deflect away from Russia's crimes as some on here don't want to acknowledge them.

Nah, Nato has probably deliberately targeted hospitals as as well, and if they haven't Israel certainty has.
I disagree about Nato, but it's difficult to prove intent one way or the other when anyone involved will be covering their asses.
Israel certainly have, I had that document on hand to argue with some hawks about the Israeli response being "proportional" and that it wasn't holding them to some higher standard to expect compliance with international law.

Surely we can just agree that bombing hospitals or other health facilities is appalling without trying to struggle for caveats?
There aren't any caveats. It's strictly illegal by international law. There is no proportionality rule that allows hospitals or really any other purely civilian infrastructure to be bombed directly. Proportionality only exists where due care is taken to minimise civilian death and damage in pursuit of a military target. It would not (or should not, according to their own rules and laws) be permissible to bomb an arms depot sat next door to a hospital (military or civilian!) in the British Armed Forces. They would find a different target. I condemn the Russians utterly for this, and I do the same for the Israelis no matter how many people try to excuse it.

View attachment 433085

Edit to add: Of course laws sometimes get broken, or we wouldn't have such apparatus about to deal with it. I think how we treat these lapses is even more important than compliance to the law itself. Even the Americans no longer pin medals on people for napalming villages.
It's like bloody Sunday and the ballymurphy massacre never happened. That our state would never sweep the truth under the carpet for decades. And if British forces behave like that in the UK, if they murder children without repercussions, it's a big ask to argue they'll behave better abroad.

Perhaps you can point to a court martial for the American murder of 400 people in an air raid shelter in 91. To the court martials after the attack on the kunduz msf hospital in 15. To the bombing of a red crescent maternity hospital in Baghdad in 03. But they never happened. Were any of the massacres of wedding parties followed by courts martial? The sas killings in Afghanistan show what happens - ranks close and any attempt at justice impeded.

The famous doctrines of minimum use of force and proportional response are fictions to be consumed by the gullible and credulous. It’s just like the prohibition of cops whacking people on the head with truncheons, a lie. I've seen people hit on the head so often it's plain that they've been trained to whack people like that.

Countries like the UK and USA want to have it both ways, denouncing the evil russians while condoning the same behaviour in gaza. It's their interests they're pursuing, not an altruistic defence of liberty and the international rule based order. They'll drop Ukraine as soon as their interests changed, as they dropped south Vietnam and Afghanistan. They have better pr than the russians but the US, UK, france have done pretty much everything russia's done in Ukraine. Morally there's not so much to choose between them.

Well since it doesn't matter that we try and improve over time, fuck it why bother? Bloody Sunday? Why not Dresden?

Well since it doesn't matter that we try and improve over time, fuck it why bother? Bloody Sunday? Why not Dresden?
I don't believe there really has been an attempt to improve over time. You haven't demonstrated such. You'd have thought perhsps the most highly trained regiment in the British army wouldn't run round murdering people if things were improving. What there has been are better attempts to evade accountability.

nice bit of whataboutry for a Friday evening

I'm not sure that I fully understand who 'we' are. or indeed what 'we' are trying to improve over time .
We. Humanity. You seem to have a very Catholic belief that everyone is tainted by the sins of the past, which suggests it's pointless to aspire to more.

Edit: Ah, forget it. I'm trying to be optimistic about people on a day that's not really suggested to me that there's any truth to it. Maybe I'll wake up thinking people get better, but right now it's not sticking.

Last edited:
We. Humanity. You seem to have a very Catholic belief that everyone is tainted by the sins of the past, which suggests it's pointless to aspire to more.
At least with Catholicism you can nip into heaven in the time it takes to fall off a horse, if you repent

Reactions: Chz
Back
Top Bottom