Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

"the acclaimed Ukrainian 3rd Separate Assault Brigade"

"the acclaimed Ukrainian 3rd Separate Assault Brigade"

“The foundation worldview principles of the Azovian units are Ukrainian-centrism, traditionalism, hierarchy and responsibility. After passing a difficult selection, only highly motivated and strong-spirited fighters, ready for constant improvement and tough battles with the enemy on the front line, enter our ranks.”

No mention of Nazi adulation at all. Maybe that’s part of traditionalism?

“The foundation worldview principles of the Azovian units are Ukrainian-centrism, traditionalism, hierarchy and responsibility. After passing a difficult selection, only highly motivated and strong-spirited fighters, ready for constant improvement and tough battles with the enemy on the front line, enter our ranks.”

No mention of Nazi adulation at all. Maybe that’s part of traditionalism?
first tradition of the azovian units is you never speak of the philosophy of nazi adulation of the azovian units

Contrary to the claims of the various bullshitters on this thread, looks like the Ukranians are not losing ground every day etc as predicted.

Good little mini documentary from the past month about the Russian Kharkiv offensive, which has at best stalled. No annoying voice overs or gore or dehumanising of the Russians either.. very human. I liked the comments by the commander about the military constantly evolving.. which is why it's hard to make concrete predictions about what will happen in the coming months and years.

Ukraine has been losing about 4km2 per day on average for the last few months. The Kharkiv offensive by Russia was partly motivated by the aim of tying up Ukrainian resources on a new front so that they’d struggle to resource the fight in the east. To some extent this has worked, but at a huge cost in lives, which doesn’t seem to bother them in the slightest (it’s not boys from Moscow or St Petersburg dying in the mud).

A rare ray of sanity
If Simon Jenkins is on your side, you really need to reevaluate your position. The living definition of Old Man Rants at Clouds, and if Starmer were a peacenik he'd be arguing for nuking Russia.

Volodymyr Zelenskiy said on Monday that Russia should be represented at a second peace summit in November, after a first summit convened by the Ukrainian president last month in Switzerland to which Moscow was not invited. Both sides have shunned direct peace talks since negotiations between Russian and Ukraine delegations fell through in the early weeks of Russia’s invasion in February 2022. But during a press conference in Kyiv after his visit to the US for a Nato defence alliance summit, Zelenskiy opened the door to direct talks with officials from Moscow. “I believe that Russian representatives should be at the second summit,” Zelensky said, describing preparations for a follow-up gathering of Ukraine’s allies.

What did you think of the article?

He says this:
This is already Nato’s war. When, two years ago, the initial Russian advance on Kyiv was halted, it would have ended in some messy compromise, like that of Donbas in 2014. It has only continued because Nato, of which Ukraine is not a member, has offered to fund a Zelenskiy victory. So long as he was ready to see tens of thousands of his conscripts die, the west was ready to pay.

He states as fact that had there been no involvement from Nato, things would have ended in a "messy compromise". He then links to that article that describes how the messy compromise in 2014 did not result in Russia just leaving it at that. Instead, 8 years after the messy compromise Russia attempted to take the Ukrainian capital and gain control of the whole nation.

He fails to explain in any detail what he thinks should actually happen now. Just makes a vague statement about the "art of peace-making.

I won't read SJ, even to please you. Maybe if you post some of it as your own thoughts; I'll be happy to engage with you. I view him as the Guardian's own little Daily Mail corner - even refuting it grants it credibility it doesn't deserve.
Are you more a Simon Tisdale?

That's some decrease

That, I think, ignores the vast number of refugees that are spread out over Europe.

[We have several families in the area, and I know that most of them want to go home as soon as it is "safe", but with young children, that is an indeterminate time in the future ...]

Russian missiles carry several independently targetable warheads and while seven large nuclear explosions would pretty much end our civilisation as promised, it would also be getting off very lightly in terms of the absolute minimum of what they're capable of.

Back
Top Bottom