Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

Because that $60bn of US military assistance will have arrived.

The situation is dire because Ukraine is running out of ammo. The situation is likely to be less dire when they're not. If someone is going to negotiate, they're not going to pick their weakest point to do it.
the west can't make shells fast enough and ukraine is running out of troops. the american money won't help that.

it may be ukraines weakest point up to now but it is only going to get worse.

Why would Zelensky think they will be in a better position in the coming months?

Further, if you accept negotiations will have to take place at some point, why not now? The situation is dire.
maybe he doesn't think they will be in a better position. it could be other forces at play making him take this view.

... the american money won't help that.

Nonsense. Your boys are just about to get a seriously bloody nose. What the longer term effect of the assistance will be is yet to be seen but if you think that this aid package and the long range stuff that the UK has given them isn't an absolute short term game-changer, there's even less hope for you than I thought 10 minutes ago!

As I cycled to work yesterday I could hardly believe that some noble Lord or other was seriously suggesting that it would be a good idea to gather up the inflatables discarded by people smugglers and ship them abroad to help the Ukrainian war effort? He was supported in this by at least one other noble Lord who thought they would be useful to help the Ukrainians cross the Dniepro river? A third Lord said these craft must be safe because they crossed the Channel from France.🤔

Why would Zelensky think they will be in a better position in the coming months?

Further, if you accept negotiations will have to take place at some point, why not now? The situation is dire.
While I think any time is a good time to at least sit at the table and knock some things about, it's important to remember that while Russia is more resilient to manpower and materiel shortages than Ukraine they are not immune to them. Remember that every independent observer has confirmed that while Russia is gaining land slowly, it comes at a cost of much higher losses than Ukraine sustains in the same battle. I've no doubt whatsoever that Russia can outlast Ukraine in the long run, but do they want to irreparably damage their security and military ability to do so? They've demonstrated they can ramp up artillery shell and drone production, but they haven't meaningfully managed to ramp up production of new tanks, new aircraft and new artillery barrels. The sanctions have thus far hurt too much there.

Nonsense. Your boys are just about to get a seriously bloody nose. What the longer term effect of the assistance will be is yet to be seen but if you think that this aid package and the long range stuff that the UK has given them isn't an absolute short term game-changer, there's even less hope for you than I thought 10 minutes ago!
not my boys.
another game changer? how many game changers have there been now? yet still the game remains the same.

but they haven't meaningfully managed to ramp up production of new tanks, new aircraft and new artillery barrels. The sanctions have thus far hurt too much there.
and your source for this?
an artillery barrel is just a lump of metal with a hole through it, i doubt sanctions are hurting their production.

not my boys.
another game changer? how many game changers have there been now? yet still the game remains the same.

They're absolutely your boys. Not sure why you keep pretending otherwise.

Of course it's another game-changer. It's 60 billion quids worth of bombs and guns and shit. Again, why would you argue otherwise? The only reason your side have made the gains they have in recent months is because that aid was withheld.

Can you be more specific about these other forces and what their aims are?
there are lots of forces. the us, europe, the banderists, the army top brass, the army, the population, im sure you could probably think of some more if you put your mind to it.
as for their aims, i am not party to their decisions or thoughts. your guess would be as good as mine.

and i said "maybe" and "could be".

Last edited:
and your source for this?
an artillery barrel is just a lump of metal with a hole through it, i doubt sanctions are hurting their production.

It does seem counter intuitive that a big metal barrel is hard to make, but modern artillery needs very accurate machining equipment. Russia's existing factories are kitted out with Western gear. You can go back to 50 year old production, but then you have 50 year old accuracy. Accuracy is a lethality multiplier; it's not just more effective, it's several times more effective.

If they could produce enough new artillery barrels, they wouldn't waste their time ripping out barrels from obsolete pieces. Using 50 year old shells from NK will probably accelerate barrel wear, too. The Ukrainians have been seeing more use of shorter range (<155mm) systems as there seems to be a shortage of the longer ranged stuff.

Russia can still make modern artillery barrels. They just haven't shown they can increase how much they make, and the way they're firing guns it's a real concern for them in the middle-ish future. I'll again say that I think they can outlast Ukraine, but they may not like the state of their armed forces at the end of it. It's no good quelling Ukraine if they've nothing left to threaten Kazakhstan with.

It does seem counter intuitive that a big metal barrel is hard to make, but modern artillery needs very accurate machining equipment. Russia's existing factories are kitted out with Western gear. You can go back to 50 year old production, but then you have 50 year old accuracy. Accuracy is a lethality multiplier; it's not just more effective, it's several times more effective.

If they could produce enough new artillery barrels, they wouldn't waste their time ripping out barrels from obsolete pieces. Using 50 year old shells from NK will probably accelerate barrel wear, too. The Ukrainians have been seeing more use of shorter range (<155mm) systems as there seems to be a shortage of the longer ranged stuff.

Russia can still make modern artillery barrels. They just haven't shown they can increase how much they make, and the way they're firing guns it's a real concern for them in the middle-ish future. I'll again say that I think they can outlast Ukraine, but they may not like the state of their armed forces at the end of it. It's no good quelling Ukraine if they've nothing left to threaten Kazakhstan with.
america is threatening china because of the amount of machine tools they are selling russia. you think china is selling them old machines?
everyone thought they were going to run out of missiles two years ago but that hasn't happened yet.

and that article says they "might" run out in two years time.

Last edited:
america is threatening china because of the amount of machine tools they are selling russia. you think china is selling them old machines?
China wants Russia under its thumb. You think they sell them their best kit? For decades, Russia sold China their second best stuff and now that China is ahead they're willing to help out an old buddy? The Americans want China to sell them nothing at all, of course. But I've not seen any reports of fretting over Russia getting any top of the line machine tools.

The Chinese government knows when and where to turn the screws to get their way. And they're not going to give a potentially unstable (post Putin) neighbour the facility to be a massive pain in the arse to them. They've been very careful riding both sides of the conflict to their advantage. Probably the country best suited to come out of this with the greatest advancement.

China wants Russia under its thumb. You think they sell them their best kit? For decades, Russia sold China their second best stuff and now that China is ahead they're willing to help out an old buddy? The Americans want China to sell them nothing at all, of course. But I've not seen any reports of fretting over Russia getting any top of the line machine tools.

The Chinese government knows when and where to turn the screws to get their way. And they're not going to give a potentially unstable (post Putin) neighbour the facility to be a massive pain in the arse to them. They've been very careful riding both sides of the conflict to their advantage. Probably the country best suited to come out of this with the greatest advancement.
Agree with last sentence

maybe the peoples republic of china would like a helping hand when they re unite with the republic of china? or maybe some other quid pro quo they could figure out between the worlds biggest manufacturer and the worlds biggest store of natural resources?

The Ukrainians had all the ammo in the world (6,000 rds/day) during their counter-"offensive" and achieved nothing with it.

tbf the held of a world super power for beat part of 2 years that hardly nothing :hmm:

even if russian is the sick man of world superpowers atm

did anyone expect Ukraine to hold out for 2 years against Russia which has more troops to pull from and a military budget that eclipsed Ukraine at the start of the war

still fighting after 2 years is an achievement within itself

second part the last 2 years has made it quite clear russian is not the dominant military force it was pretending to be on the world stage

did anyone expect Ukraine to hold out for 2 years against Russia which has more troops to pull from and a military budget that eclipsed Ukraine at the start of the war

still fighting after 2 years is an achievement within itself

second part the last 2 years has made it quite clear russian is not the dominant military force it was pretending to be on the world stage
people expected them to win against a poorly armed and equipped russian army who had bad leadership and associated structures and were totally corrupt. their equipment was all faulty due to the careless attitude and corruption of the people making it. remember all the tractor memes?
they also expected regime change in russia. my dad had a bet with me that putin would be gone by christmas in '22. putin made it but my dad didn't.

Back
Top Bottom