Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukraine and the Russian invasion, 2022-24

"if you like Russia so much, why not go and live there..."

I actually heard some tory prick on the radio say that yesterday, regarding the proposed smoking ban. To the effect of in this country the government does not tell people how to behave**, unlike say in China or Russia. Anyone in favour of this measure should spend some time living in a country like that.

**unless they're poor (he didn't say this bit of course)

As editor now has Pickman's model on ignore, I'm curious how another moderator is apparently aware that PM has replied to one of ed's posts and has issued a warning within 5 minutes of the reply :confused:
It seems that I have to explain this to you. Posters on mutual ignore are totally free to read what the other poster has said. The board software does not have the capability to remove all trace of those posts for those on mutual ignore.

But that doesn't alter the main aim of the mutual ignore function, and that is stop endless thread disruption by forbidding either poster to respond, quote, comment or make any reference the other person.

If someone blatantly ignores that rule it doesn't matter which mod issued the warning, because the rules were clearly breached. And if I break the rule, posters are free to report me to the mods.

This thread has now been disrupted enough by this so I would ask anyone who wishes to pursue the matter to take it to the feedback forum.

Totally get this. Not an ex, just a weirdo been on my case for years here and elsewhere.
And just to answer this: there is no facility (that I know of) on these boards to stop an individual seeing another person's posts if they have the same forum permissions, even though I can definitely understand why such a thing might be useful.

I too would like Russia to withdraw immediately, but you and I wanting it and repeatedly posting how much we want it doesn't actually bring it any further forward.

After a while, posting that we want it and especially demanding that others confirm that they want it too, seems to me to serve little purpose other than virtue signaling.
How much earth does Russia want to salt?
Ukraine already won in my eyes .. Ukraine aint some sock puppet like Belarus. What Ukraine decides to do is down to them, it's very much their call and I support their right to make it.

And just to answer this: there is no facility (that I know of) on these boards to stop an individual seeing another person's posts if they have the same forum permissions, even though I can definitely understand why such a thing might be useful.
It would be well useful, but that's a whole other topic.

Tbh, most of the ignored I have currently have nothing to do with this particular thread. Whilst certain viewpoints maybe astonishing on this thread, they are just people's views.

It's the shit nasty stuff that has little to do with the special operation/illegal invasion etc that really irks.

Apologies for the slight derail.

things looking grim, according to politico,

this bit jumped out,

As Ukraine’s ousted chief commander Zaluzhny found to his cost, rational warnings that things may not turn out well can get commentators and analysts in trouble. But suspending critical thinking won’t win this war either.

maybe zaluzhny should post here. he could get called a putinite and a nazi at the same time.

Another day, another mass murder

It's appalling. Whatever the outcome of this war, generations of people are going to hate Russia.

A Russian missile attack has killed 17 people in the city of Chernihiv in northern Ukraine, according to emergency services.
More than 60 including three children were injured in the attack, which hit an eight-storey building in a densely populated area, the city's mayor said.
Three missiles had struck close to the centre of the city, officials said.

How much earth does Russia want to salt?
Ukraine already won in my eyes .. Ukraine aint some sock puppet like Belarus. What Ukraine decides to do is down to them, it's very much their call and I support their right to make it.
It's important to note that the people of Belarus don't get to make that call. Lukashenka's had so many people locked up and brutalised that there can be virtually no palpable resistance within the place. Their families are threatened, their chances of employment knackered, their every move watched. The vast majority of Belarusians don't support that clownish dictator. People are not their governments.

They had ele
It's important to note that the people of Belarus don't get to make that call. Lukashenka's had so many people locked up and brutalised that there can be virtually no palpable resistance within the place. Their families are threatened, their chances of employment knackered, their every move watched. The vast majority of Belarusians don't support that clownish dictator. People are not their governments

What you talking about Willis?
They had their Presidential elections same as Russia did

i'll make this easy to understand what countries Border Ukraine

aside from Belarus and Moldova what do they have in common

i'll give you a few minutes to work it out

If it could just be set out clearly what you meant, without obfuscation, that would be good.
He’s saying that we should be able to remember that the Cold War was a depressing and dangerous time, responsible for the emiseration of millions of people. And yet there are those on this thread that seem to be actively thrilled to return to that state of affairs.

He’s saying that we should be able to remember that the Cold War was a depressing and dangerous time, responsible for the emiseration of millions of people. And yet there are those on this thread that seem to be actively thrilled to return to that state of affairs.
It’s not that they want to return, they haven’t left!.

America's dumbest member of Congress was rebuked by a historian and the grandson of Holocaust survivors after likening Ukraine to Nazi Germany during a hearing Wednesday

“If the chamber is interested in the degree of far-right participation in Ukrainian politics, you can be assured that no far-right party has ever crossed 3 percent … in a Ukrainian election,” he said. “So, of course, there are bad people in every country, but by any comparative standard, it is a very small phenomenon.”

“In Russia, on the other hand, the army includes openly Nazi formations … the government itself is fascist in character, and it is carrying out a war, which includes deportation of children by the tens of thousands, the open intention of destroying a state, as well as mass torture,” Snyder said. “So if we’re looking for fascism, and if there is anyone who is sincerely concerned about halting fascism or racism, you would wish to halt Russia.”

This is the same Marjorie Taylor Greene who spread conspiracy theories about Jewish space lasers and said mask and vaccine mandates were like the Holocaust

I don't really see evidence of anyone being actively thrilled to return to such a time. But even if there were, what would be the suspected motivation? Even if the idea is that the cold war is some kind of battle between communism & capitalism, that's not what there is any prospect of happening just now.

I don't really see evidence of anyone being actively thrilled to return to such a time. But even if there were, what would be the suspected motivation? Even if the idea is that the cold war is some kind of battle between communism & capitalism, that's not what there is any prospect of happening just now.
The Cold War was not really a battle between ideologies. It was a battle between empires. And that’s exactly where we are heading towards again, and some on this thread do absolutely seem to revel in it

The Cold War was not really a battle between ideologies. It was a battle between empires. And that’s exactly where we are heading towards again, and some on this thread do absolutely seem to revel in it
The majority of posts that seem to revel in the idea of battling an empire are ones celebrating military technology on the non-Russian side.

it wasn't really a battle, as the name 'cold war' tends to indicate

Back
Top Bottom