Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Weirdly BBC exit saying Finchley (which should be Finchley and Golders Green) where we are, to go Lib Dem, which can't be right. They are the one party we haven't had so much as a leaflet for and Labour has a very strong candidate.

There was a strong swing to put them in 2nd place behind Tories last time but that was literally because of Corbyn and Jewish votes all moving to Lib Dems (including mine) when Luciana Berger was the candidate.

But I wouldn't object if they won it this time anyhow.

The bbc projection of seats in the SW doesn’t match what I’ve seen on the ground

I reckon a lot of seats may be split around 30-25-25-15-5 between the four main parties (5 for the greens + others) with tories holding on. A real example of why we need PR.

I will be annoyed as fuck if Lib Dem vote keeps Tories in here, which is possible. I suppose you might get people seeing that Lib Dems were 2nd last time but not understanding the context thinking they should vote for them to get Tories out this time.

It may well be a close one

That SNP exit poll…! Can’t see how the nationalists can demand independence now…
The SNP will do very badly, but the BBC here are making it clear they aren’t accepting that extrapolation. You have to remember that the sample is UK-wide and the Scottish portion of it is outside margins of error. It can’t be taken literally for Scotland.

That said, the SNP tally will be very low.

On your other point, independence does not map onto SNP support, and current polls put support for independence higher than support for the SNP (at Westminster). And that parenthesis is one of the other complicating factors here.

Is independence off the table for the foreseeable? Yes. But it’s more complicated than you’re imagining.

The SNP will do very badly, but the BBC here are making it clear they aren’t accepting that extrapolation. You have to remember that the sample is UK-wide and the Scottish portion of it is outside margins of error. It can’t be taken literally for Scotland.

That said, the SNP tally will be very low.

On your other point, independence does not map onto SNP support, and current polls put support for independence higher than support for the SNP (at Westminster). And that parenthesis is one of the other complicating factors here.

Is independence off the table for the foreseeable? Yes. But it’s more complicated than you’re imagining.
The real number won’t be hugely off which is still a disaster

Yep, my mp. Thing is, you never hear anything from her or about her in this constituency. She has rested on her laurels. Got one leaflet, nothing on socials, just silence. Never stopped hearing about Reform. Some locals don’t understand what mps do or how local government works and some think she is the head of Wakefield metropolitan district council and therefore blame her for budget cuts. But everything is spent on other towns, not ours. We lost our library, sports centre and swimming pool because of cuts yet no one else did. Our local community centre has been mothballed for years due to asbestos and instead there are shipping containers in the carpark. The funding to rebuild it is missing. We’ll see how this pans out, the Reform candidate is an NHS worker and a local and has stood as an independent not here but in other local constituencies. If he gets in then Im hoping he’s not a cunt even if Reform are. Lets see. I walked past several polling stations today and didn’t see anyone outside doing exit polls.

Exit poll suggests 83% lab hold.

Back
Top Bottom