Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

In case anyone fancies a truly wasted vote of principle in one of these 26 constituencies, the Rejoin the EU Party is standing:

Chipping Barnet – Richard Hewison
Finchley & Golders Green – Brendan Donnelly
Hendon – Ben Rend
Tottenham – Drew Miles
Peckham – Alex Kerr
Kensington & Bayswater – John Stevens
Stretford & Urmston – Jim Newell
Old Bexley & Sidcup – Laurence Williams
Sevenoaks – Elwyn Jones
Sheffield Hallam – Sam Chapman
Oxford East – Andrew Smith
Ealing Southall – Peter Ward
South West Hertfordshire – Victor Silkin
Putney – Jas Alduk
Leyton & Wanstead – Simon Bezer
Tooting – Felix Burford-Connole
Battersea – Georgina Burford-Connole
Cities of London & Westminster – Liz Burford
Hampstead & Highgate – Christie Elan-Cane
Fareham & Waterlooville – Edward Dean
Preston – Joseph O’Meachair
Pendle and Clitheroe – Christopher Thompson
Rutland & Stamford – Joanna Burrows
Melton and Syston – Matt Shouler
Hammersmith and Chiswick – Bill Colegrave
Bury St Edmunds – Richard Baker-Howard

The last one grabbed me by the throat as I originate from Bury St Edmunds, and it seems a typical example of a town that benefitted enormously from EU trade etc and where they all hate the French, despite being "twinned" with Compiègne, where the armistice was signed at the end of World War I. In 2019 there was a pact between the Greens and the Lib Dems whereby the Lib Dem candidate stood down in this constituency in favour of the Green Party. They still came 3rd behind Labour though.
Do any of these post on here?

that's how i understand it - there is a deadline for registration and another deadline for requesting a postal vote.

further to previous, 18 june is the deadline for registering to vote for the 4 july election

more here.

deadline for applying for a postal vote (if you're moving too far for it to be practical to go to your old polling station, or for any other reason) is 5 pm, 19 june

more here.

Sinister is a very dodgy term given her religion. Having briefly met her she didn’t seem particularly warm or engaging, but that could just be introvert behaviour and I wouldn’t mark anyone down for that, we need all sorts in a representative democracy, not just loud self-confident types (fewer of those if possible).
I don't know anything about her religion, but her politics - beating up those on benefits, a new wave of austerity - are certainly sinister
Potholes are caused by starving local authorities of funds.
Which Labour intends to continue to do

Last edited:
Also, does Sunak realise that his parents refused him an exterior Sky dish not because of the cost, but so as not to appear declasse to their neighbours?
You have no real idea of their reasoning. Don't bother...in comparison to some modern families who ain't eating everyday it's crass enough

Speaking to Times Radio, Shapps said: “it will either be Rishi Sunak or Keir Starmer, there’s no other outcomes to this election"

Tbf I think he's probably still wrong about that

Why? Obviously Sunak has no chance, but who else but Starmer does?

1718188721519.jpeg

Farage pictured on Andrea Jenkyns’ election leaflet. Rats in a sack.

Apologies for the Guido watermark - I did try to find a non-Staines source.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

But not with good analysis, unfortunately. A quite fantastical article on their website which reassures us that because the European far right don't want to leave the EU its just European nationalism and in any case they are hemmed in by the guard rails of democracy in a Parliament which isn't allowed to initiate any legislation.

The rise of neo-nationalist parties show there are similar revolts underway in the EU. However, the guard-rails for democracy and the rule of law are stronger there than in the US and the UK. Partly, the reasons for this are technical: the supranational power of the European Single Market and the euro, balanced by the national power of the European Council derived from proportional voting systems. They are also political: these parties now concentrate on issues like immigration, trade protection and security, which can only be addressed effectively at a European level and so no longer seek to dismantle the EU, but to use it to implement their policies. They are becoming European nationalists.

Sadly not correct - potholes/road disintegration are overwhelming caused by water ingress. Building a road that will withstand water - both coming from the surface and from the sides/underneath - is expensive and time consuming. Building a road that will will withstand it for much less time is cheap and quick - which do you think gets chosen?

It is of course to do with local authority funding. However as told by my uncle, who used to work on highway maintenance, It’s actually quite tricky due to the extremes of temperature we can have here. You need tarmac that doesn’t melt in summer and doesn’t get destroyed by salt in the winter. other countries of course seem to manage this. What are the roads like in Poland.

But not with good analysis, unfortunately. A quite fantastical article on their website which reassures us that because the European far right don't want to leave the EU its just European nationalism and in any case they are hemmed in by the guard rails of democracy in a Parliament which isn't allowed to initiate any legislation.
"It can't happen here"
hums Ich bin ein Ausländer to himself.

Exactly this - it’s a common annoyance in more down-at-heel neighbourhoods, along with general ASB. It’s not some curtain-twitcher thing, it goes on at all hours, wakes up babies etc. and generally leads to a lower quality of life. Where I used to live most people (especially older folk) seemed pleased when we started getting PCSOs walking about the place, it did make things better despite the ‘plastic pigs’ sneering. When that got taken away by Austerity things started getting shit again. People need to live peaceful lives for the benefit of their health. The tories have no interest in these areas or the concerns of people living there, so it’s fair game for Labour to stand up for them.

Colleague lives in Knowle West. These bikes are a total nuisance round there.

As well as the Sky tv stuff, ratboy said he grew up in a house where community service was important. Is that true? What did he do to serve the community? Come on Fact checkers!

Why? Obviously Sunak has no chance, but who else but Starmer does?
That's what I mean, he is claiming that it's going to be either Starmer or Sunak, as things stand now it's going to be Starmer, Starmer or possibly Starmer.

Back
Top Bottom