Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Is it cos the LibDems think their only chance of getting the media to pay attention to them is through photo opportunities, cos otherwise they have no chance of getting their message through?

It might well be about resources - if you look at the LD national campaign it's, yes about showing off Vaizey, but it's also about policy and 'broad thrust'. The national party is doing the national campaign, and the local constituency campaign is down to whatever resources the local party has. If that's 'not much', then this might be all they've got.

It does seem a bit odd, I grant you - though I suppose it does stand out from 'random person in suit looking unhappy in front of closed toilets' or whatever, so it might have more impact, even if there's not much on the (local) policy front.

I've got no idea if Sutton Coldfield is a genuine target seat for the LD's, or whether this is just going through the motions...

E2A: LD's are nowhere in Sutton Coldfield - straight Tory/Lab fight. LD's predicted to get about 6%, down from 12%.

It might well be about resources - if you look at the LD national campaign it's, yes about showing off Vaizey, but it's also about policy and 'broad thrust'. The national party is doing the national campaign, and the local constituency campaign is down to whatever resources the local party has. If that's 'not much', then this might be all they've got.

It does seem a bit odd, I grant you - though I suppose it does stand out from 'random person in suit looking unhappy in front of closed toilets' or whatever, so it might have more impact, even if there's not much on the (local) policy front.

I've got no idea if Sutton Coldfield is a genuine target seat for the LD's, or whether this is just going through the motions...

It's not, Labour is in second place, electoral calculus has them and the Tories neck and neck, with LDs in a distance third place with no chance of winning there, he's basically just a paper candidate, not even worth going through the motions, so may as well hit the pubs.

E2A: LD's are nowhere in Sutton Coldfield - straight Tory/Lab fight. LD's predicted to get about 6%, down from 12%.
(my bold)

Well, it's clearly working... :thumbs:

1718102953078.jpeg

Haven't seen any party signs yet but I did see this getting off the bus yesterday I have to admit it made me laugh, it occurred to me it would be even funnier if I got a pen and wrote "Well Fuck You Hippy, Like We Need It" on it but I restrained myself.

It's excruciating viewing. He's got a bunch of tory minions clapping furiously at every response he gives to journalists. It's like some north korea style party congress.

I am fairly sure all the parties do that, the LDs certainly did yesterday, and I am expect Labour will on Thursday, these are after all party events.

It's not, Labour is in second place, electoral calculus has them and the Tories neck and neck, with LDs in a distance third place with no chance of winning there, he's basically just a paper candidate, not even worth going through the motions, so may as well hit the pubs.
Winning here

I am fairly sure all the parties do that, the LDs certainly did yesterday, and I am expect Labour will on Thursday, these are after all party events.
Well Labour used to have popular support not on the payroll who would clap out of free will, Labour now back within the ranks of disliked professional parties

There’s a whole number of takes on this :
Firstly he’s more animated by off road bikes than anything he’s said on Gaza
Secondly his ‘plan’ has been used in Manchester for over 10 years
Finally after listening to it , watch it again with no sound and pay attention to the people in the background who seem to have problems concentrating on his pitch .

Anyway it’s one rung up from banning fizzy drinks

Sunak's claim of tax cuts is of course just smoke and mirrors, as you would expect, they are not planning to cut NI by half during the next parliamentary term, they have already cut it from 12 to 8%, starting the next term at 8%, so a reduction to 6% isn't halving it.

And, of course, no mention of personal allowances being frozen until at least 2028, which with inflation is a real terms increase in both tax & NI, they will actually continue to increase taxes, just at a slightly slower rate, and that's assuming they manage to find the efficiency savings they always promise, but never manage to deliver to the level they had promised.

Whilst the likes of the Mail, Sun, Express and GBN will probably claim it's a tax cut promise, I was pleased to see Sky News totally debunk that claim, and even the BBC has done the same, although not to the same level of detail that Sky News went into.

Cut National Insurance: Employee NI would be cut by a further 2p, taking the tax to 6 per cent by April 2027.
Help for self-employed: Abolish the main rate of self-employed National Insurance entirely by the end of the next Parliament.
Pension protection: A guarantee that both the state pension and the tax free allowance for pensioners always increases with the highest of inflation, earnings or 2.5 per cent so the new state pension doesn’t get dragged into income tax.
No new net zero charges: A Tory government would roll out no new green levies or charges while also cutting the cost of going green for consumers.
National Service: Mandatory National Service would be introduced for all school leavers at 18, with the choice between a placement in the military or civic service roles.
School mobile phone ban: The use of mobile phones during school day would be banned.
Boost for MoD: Defence spending as a proportion of GDP would rise to 2.5 per cent by 2030.
Migration cap: A legal cap on migration would be introduced to ensure it falls every year.
Greater protection for women and girls: The Equality Act would be amended to better protect female-only spaces and competitiveness in sport.

Can’t help but think that getting rid of national insurance is a way to start reducing the state pension.

Argument at the moment is always that people have paid into it (although obviously not true) and so getting rid of the contribution aspect surely leads the way to watering it down somehow.

It would simplify some matters to remove equally would require a fair bit of work on things like pensions and in work statutory payments. Can't help but think only savings would be administrative at best at HMRC or employers

Back
Top Bottom