Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

And, so it begins.

A General Election candidate will no longer stand for Reform UK after a “litany of offensive comments” were allegedly found on his Facebook page.

Hugo Miller had been hoping to become MP for Horsham under the party’s banner until multiple racist posts were reportedly found on his social media.
The party has since said they will not support Mr Miller following a Channel 4 News report.

Apparently he was exposed, together with another one, by C-4 News last night, I doubt they will be the only two.

D-day was 80 fucking years ago and everyone who was involved is dead. How long are the flag-fuckers going to keep doing all this performative memorial shite? Lest we forget, it was the militant nationalist fanatics who were the bad guys in 1944.

aye and here we are 80 years ago with a second rate shite version of Oswald Mosley get most of the election coverage because he can blame immigrants for everything and is a bit of character :rolleyes:

And, so it begins.

Apparently he was exposed, together with another one, by C-4 News last night, I doubt they will be the only two.

Did they file the paperwork? If so it's too late to change the ballot paper now.

D-day was 80 fucking years ago and everyone who was involved is dead. How long are the flag-fuckers going to keep doing all this performative memorial shite? Lest we forget, it was the militant nationalist fanatics who were the bad guys in 1944.
Frank, I instinctively agree with the sentiments you express here and applaud your expression of this view, but...here comes the personal "however".

For purely personal/family reasons I find the sight of last few D-day veterans rather moving. I know the spectacle is exploited by the neoliberal state responsible for perpetuating the industrial-military complex and their wars, but I can't help but think about those survivors who waded onto the beaches as very young men. My Grandfather was with them as a 34 year old and the few times that talked about landing on Sword beach he was overcome with emotion for those of 'his boys' on the landing craft that he saw die that day. Some never made it to the beach; some drowned before the Nazi bullets got them. I look at those veterans and think of what my Grandfather experienced.

Of all of the war memorials/ceremonies this is therefore the one that makes the greatest impact on me; even on Thursday I was talking to my old man in hospital about his Dad's D-day exploits and the fact that he knew that he was going to fight fascism.

That said, I think the real value in memorialising this event lies in what you say in your last sentence; Lest we forget, it was the militant nationalist fanatics who were the bad guys in 1944.

Frank, I instinctively agree with the sentiments you express here and applaud your expression of this view, but...here comes the personal "however".

For purely personal/family reasons I find the sight of last few D-day veterans rather moving. I know the spectacle is exploited by the neoliberal state responsible for perpetuating the industrial-military complex and their wars, but I can't help but think about those survivors who waded onto the beaches as very young men. My Grandfather was with them as a 34 year old and the few times that talked about landing on Sword beach he was overcome with emotion for those of 'his boys' on the landing craft that he saw die that day. Some never made it to the beach; some drowned before the Nazi bullets got them. I look at those veterans and think of what my Grandfather experienced.

Of all of the war memorials/ceremonies this is therefore the one that makes the greatest impact on me; even on Thursday I was talking to my old man in hospital about his Dad's D-day exploits and the fact that he knew that he was going to fight fascism.

That said, I think the real value in memorialising this event lies in what you say in your last sentence; Lest we forget, it was the militant nationalist fanatics who were the bad guys in 1944.
Ditto. I wish all the people who lived through the war, at home and in the forces, were drawing different lessons and detaching themselves from state memorials. But the things they faced and their memories and sacrifices were real. And as you say, very much part of our family histories.

Another thing that irks is seeing current forces personnel basking in the reflected glory of people who actually fought and died for something. These are the same people that haven't lifted a finger to help the suffering innocents in Ukraine, Palestine or anywhere else. People who have only ever invaded defenceless countries, bombed innocents and still failed to achieve anything they were supposed to be there to do. People who support modern day fascists in Israel and Saudi Arabia.

If today's soldiers actually remembered the sacrifices made by WW2 generation they'd throw their own uniforms into the sea in shame.

Another thing that irks is seeing current forces personnel basking in the reflected glory of people who actually fought and died for something. These are the same people that haven't lifted a finger to help the suffering innocents in Ukraine, Palestine or anywhere else. People who have only ever invaded defenceless countries, bombed innocents and still failed to achieve anything they were supposed to be there to do. People who support modern day fascists in Israel and Saudi Arabia.

If today's soldiers actually remembered the sacrifices made by WW2 generation they'd throw their own uniforms into the sea in shame.
aye...most of those lined up at the memorial are literally supporting a fascist genocide happening right now

No sorry you've lost me. I wasn't making a joke (at least not intentionally). Although tbf maybe i need to watch the video in the post i was quoting in case i have missed something here :hmm:
you said "Did they file the paperwork? If so it's too late to change the ballot paper now." and what i meant was I expect that they've timed the revelation perfectly as soon as the papers were filed and so no new candidate can stand - and that's good comedy

timing

you said "Did they file the paperwork? If so it's too late to change the ballot paper now." and what i meant was I expect that they've timed the revelation perfectly as soon as the papers were filed and so no new candidate can stand - and that's good comedy

timing
Yeah sorry watched the video and it makes sense now :D i'm being a bit dense sorry :oops:

timing
I bet the reform leadership couldn't care less about the comment (or a lot of their voters for that matter) but publicly they will pretend to be outraged and will "disown" him.

1717849611096-png.427993
rat-boy's novel approach to GE campaigning...not taking questions the press! :D

So fucked.

View attachment 427993
visiting a walled garden? Is he trying max out his national trust membership or something?
I like how this isnt going away .... LEST WE FORGET

There are current forces personnel old enough to have served to admirable effect in Bosnia, Kosovo or Sierra Leone, so your summary of British military involvement in recent decades is grotesquely one-sided.

With you on wanting to see UK troops deployed to Ukraine though, of course they do have to wait for orders before they are allowed to “lift a finger” so it’s not a matter of laziness.

If anything I think the Truss fiasco helps Sunak as it provides him with a scapegoat. It also means his tenure as PM started at a massive low point for the economy so any reversion to the mean can be passed off as an improvement, hence he's now claiming to have brought inflation down, got the economy growing again etc.
except he's leaned into the cutting taxes idea that she espoused while simultaneously being too weak to challenge her ideological allies, eg Braverman.

There are current forces personnel old enough to have served to admirable effect in Bosnia, Kosovo or Sierra Leone, so your summary of British military involvement in recent decades is grotesquely one-sided.

With you on wanting to see UK troops deployed to Ukraine though, of course they do have to wait for orders before they are allowed to “lift a finger” so it’s not a matter of laziness.

Just following orders then.

The timing is pretty great too. This is the first real weekend of the campaign for many in the big two. They've sorted out candidates, got lots printed, opened offices and now Saturday, time to get an early start and Talking To Voters.

Imagine then if you're a Tory candidate or activist last night steeling yourself for today.

He's not going to shake of the D-Day dodger stuff. Repeatedly saying "i have apologised!" in an increasingly tetchy voice is not going to cut it- people wnat to know how the fuck you came to make that decision - what the actual fuck were you thinking?!. Looking like miserable loser in the rain and then his D-Day clanger is going to be his image with the voters.
Sunak is dereided, despised and alone - none of his collegues with any hopes of playing a role in the post election wreckage of the tory party are going to go anyhwere near him. And he has to endure another 3 and 1/2 weeks of this - trying to put all his effort into a utterly lost casue before his final humiliation.

You would have to have a heart of stone not to laugh etc

Back
Top Bottom