Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The 2024 UK General Election - news, speculation and updates

Another thing from the lib dems through the door today.

General line of the NHS is in the shit, the rivers are full of shit (not quite in so many words), labour can't win here, vote for us.

meh

In Bexley a couple of days back and a mid sixties ish man on the top deck of a bus struck up a conversation about the bus not leaving as early as expected. "Nothing works anymore does it. Countries falling to bits. I've got a caravan in sheerness and half the time there is a flag saying you can't go in the water because of the sewage. There's a river near the caravan and you can see it come in with the tide. Raw sewage. Absolutely disgusting." I think the shit in the water angle needs to be emphasised even more as it obviously has traction. The lib dem candidate in yesterday's debate got a got response when she raised it and it somehow crystallises the result of their policies, inaction and callousness.

Ive never heard anyone mention the SDP Social Democratic Party...122 candidates is a lot.....the only time Ive heard of them existing was the London Mayoral Election as for that you get sent a booklet with every candidate...the SDP candidate was a frothing at the mouth swivel eyed loon

whut.jpeg

I could look at the wiki but if anyone knows more about the SDP Im just about curious

I looked it up - I thought the old SDP was long dead, but this is some kind of continuity real SDP

"The current party traces its origin to the Social Democratic Party, which was formed in 1981 by a group of dissident Labour Party Members of Parliament (MPs) and former Cabinet members Roy Jenkins, David Owen, Bill Rodgers and Shirley Williams, who became known as the Gang of Four. The original SDP merged with the Liberal Party in 1988 to form the Liberal Democrats, but Owen, two other MPs and a minority of party activists formed a breakaway group also called the Social Democratic Party (1988–1990) immediately afterwards. That continuing party dissolved itself in the aftermath of a by-election in Bootle, in which the party's candidate received fewer votes than Screaming Lord Sutch's Official Monster Raving Loony Party.

However, some SDP activists met and voted to continue the party in defiance of its National Executive, leading to the creation in 1990 of the current Social Democratic Party under the leadership of the candidate who lost that by-election."

In November 2018, the current SDP gained its first and only European parliamentarian when Patrick O'Flynn, Member of the European Parliament (MEP) for East of England, defected from the UK Independence Party. He served in the European Parliament until 1 July 2019.[6] The party's membership includes the journalist, Rod Liddle.[7] Rod Fucking Liddle.

At the 2022 local elections, the SDP gained a seat on Leeds City Council from Labour, the first non-parish council seat won since 2003.

In October 2022, the SDP announced a general election pact with the right-wing populist and Eurosceptic party Reform UK.

The party contested the 2024 London mayoral election with candidate Amy Gallagher.[4]

Last edited:
Ive never heard anyone mention the SDP Social Democratic Party...122 candidates is a lot.....the only time Ive heard of them existing was the London Mayoral Election as for that you get sent a booklet with every candidate...the SDP candidate was a frothing at the mouth swivel eyed loon

View attachment 427936

I could look at the wiki but if anyone knows more about the SDP Im just about curious

I looked it up - I thought the old SDP was long dead, but this is some kind of continuity real SDP

"The current party traces its origin to the Social Democratic Party, which was formed in 1981 by a group of dissident Labour Party Members of Parliament (MPs) and former Cabinet members Roy Jenkins, David Owen, Bill Rodgers and Shirley Williams, who became known as the Gang of Four. The original SDP merged with the Liberal Party in 1988 to form the Liberal Democrats, but Owen, two other MPs and a minority of party activists formed a breakaway group also called the Social Democratic Party (1988–1990) immediately afterwards. That continuing party dissolved itself in the aftermath of a by-election in Bootle, in which the party's candidate received fewer votes than Screaming Lord Sutch's Official Monster Raving Loony Party.

However, some SDP activists met and voted to continue the party in defiance of its National Executive, leading to the creation in 1990 of the current Social Democratic Party under the leadership of the candidate who lost that by-election."

In November 2018, the current SDP gained its first and only European parliamentarian when Patrick O'Flynn, Member of the European Parliament (MEP) for East of England, defected from the UK Independence Party. He served in the European Parliament until 1 July 2019.[6] The party's membership includes the journalist, Rod Liddle.[7] Rod Fucking Liddle.

At the 2022 local elections, the SDP gained a seat on Leeds City Council from Labour, the first non-parish council seat won since 2003.

In October 2022, the SDP announced a general election pact with the right-wing populist and Eurosceptic party Reform UK.

The party contested the 2024 London mayoral election with candidate Amy Gallagher.[4]

They're like a band who are continuing under the same name but with none of the original members, or even any of the immediate replacements for the original members.

It's also worth remembering that the original SDP was formed because the Gof4 were supposedly concerned about growing Euro-skepticism within the Labour party, so there's been a complete about face on this.

They're like a band who are continuing under the same name but with none of the original members, or even any of the immediate replacements for the original members.
almost like the band Gang of Four did (down to one original member at one point, the guitarist, so not even the singer the same).

Anyhow, I wonder which hedge fund cunt is throwing money at them, as standing more than 100 is not cheap.

At least it further dilutes the cunt vote. Spoiled for choice.

The continuation liberal party are interesting..

"At the 2015 general election, the Liberal Party in Cornwall decided to not contest any seats and urged its supporters to vote for UKIP. At the 2017 general election, the party contested four seats and received 3,672 votes.[citation needed]"

Liberal Party (UK, 1989) - Wikipedia

There is also a National Liberal outfit who are third position rightists. National Liberal Party (UK, 1999) - Wikipedia

And in lovely Havering their founder is now an independent Cllr and cabinet member: Graham Williamson - Wikipedia

Really? I thought she was far better than Starmer, and held her own against shouty Mordaunt.

Though I'm beginning to realise this whole GE campaign is a massive exercise in confirmation bias. :hmm:
Mordaunt was worse, on the verge of tears it looked like.

But by the end I felt Rayner was utterly spent.

The seeds of the Tory collapse were sown in 2019​

Pandemic lockdowns, partygate and Liz Truss’s ‘mini’ Budget were all mere blips on a clear linear trend

The seeds of the Tory collapse were sown in 2019 / https://archive.ph/pOtN6

the drop in the Tory polling post 2019 is stark. long may that continue.

View attachment 427949
Its the no Boris effect....turns out he is going to be a really hard act to follow.
I genuinely believe Boris would be beating Starmer in this election

Its the no Boris effect....turns out he is going to be a really hard act to follow.
I genuinely believe Boris would be beating Starmer in this election

An attempt at irony or are you a deluded fuckwit? I can't do nuance on Saturday mornings.

Back
Top Bottom