Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Streatham "terrorist-related" attack, people stabbed 02.02.2020

Well done to the Police for shooting this scumbag dead.

Looks like Boris is going to be making changes to the way terrorists are going to be released in the future now.

Didn’t realise this place was so blood thirsty.

Looking forward to the bring back capital punishment thread...

Bringing back the death penalty was more popular ten years ago than it is now
even if it was more popular, there's no way to derogate from protocol 13 of the european convention of human rights, which prohibits the death penalty in all circumstances, without leaving the council of europe.

even if it was more popular, there's no way to derogate from protocol 13 of the european convention of human rights, which prohibits the death penalty in all circumstances, without leaving the council of europe.
My point , my little legal beagle, was about the unthinkable aspect .

I can't imagine the trauma for the victim, the kids and the eyewitness. I saw two guys viciously beating the fuck out of someone in Effra Road a couple of years ago and there was nothing I could do (save call the cops) and it still haunts me sometimes.

Eyewitness Gjon Kathegjolli said he was in a barber shop when he heard a woman, who was with a baby in a push chair and two young boys, scream and saw her being stabbed.
Streatham attacker had been released from jail

Here's a statement from the local MP

What evidence is there that deradicalisation works?

I can see the case for whole life sentences for serious terrorism offences becoming stronger. Locking someone up for a few years, then letting them loose to kill is not tenable.

There have been a number of cases lately where released terrorists have gone on to murder on release.

I would not be surprised if further radicalisation is taking place in prison, the whole thing reinforced by a sense of injustice at having been locked up in the first place.

Another consideration is the amount of police resources involved in keeping tabs on someone 24/7, it is not sustainable.

Edited to add:

What I'm saying I suppose is that I don't have an answer for this problem, and am wondering if anyone else has?

Is this instance he wasn't convicted of a serious terror offence though, not the planning or commission of anyway, although that's what they were after him for. They are never going to be able to give massive sentences for possession of material I wouldn't have thought

Is this instance he wasn't convicted of a serious terror offence though, not the planning or commission of anyway, although that's what they were after him for. They are never going to be able to give massive sentences for possession of material I wouldn't have thought

Indeed.

The balance between fair sentencing and public protection is a delicate one.

eWell maybe deradicalization might work better if the services overseeing it hadn't been cut to the bone. Probation and the Police, mental health services. Not going to work too well in an under funded, demoralised prison system either. SO incidents like this are par for the course.

It's OK though the Home sec is going to crack down on "counter-terrorist offenders."
:rolleyes:

I agree wit Sasaferrato if you can potentially kill 3 people while being tailed by cop or cops what's the point at all. I also suspect he made them and still went for it regardless

it's not just the more recent is terrorists

View attachment 197480
This is actually a really good paper - on the evidence of this, jihadis really are the gang that couldn't shoot straight.

It also has this line:
"On the way the trio stopped for snacks and gasoline at a filling station, where Tanweer purchased a packet of “crisps,” then argued with the cashier over his change and looked directly at one of the ubiquitous closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras that blanket Britain."

Good thing Tanweer wasn't a smoker, I suppose.

More technically, you can't be a member of the EU and have capital punishment on your books. The UK of course is no longer a member...
Nothing to do with the EU. Restriction of the death penalty is part of the right to life article (article 2) of the ECHR which isn’t an EU document and has signataries way beyond the EU. Turkey for example... Also article 2 isn’t absolute. The only one that is is the prohibition of torture Article 3.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with the EU. Restriction of the death penalty is part of the right to life article (article 2) of the ECHR which isn’t an EU document and has signataries way beyond the EU. Turkey for example... Also article 2 isn’t absolute. The only one that is is the prohibition of torture.

Turkey only signed cos they were arselicking in order to join the EU. I don’t think it will happen, but the UK leaving the ECHR isn’t such a stretch, given we left the EU last week...

Turkey only signed cos they were arselicking in order to join the EU. I don’t think it will happen, but the UK leaving the ECHR isn’t such a stretch, given we left the EU last week...
Well we signed it really late. But then we did write most of it - or British military lawyers did post WW2- as a way of giving Johny Forigner some good old Blighty fair play whilst we were untroubled by it through most of the retreat from Empire.

Not sure if it was an omission, but the Justice Secretary appeared to say that people convicted of terrorist offences would not be released until the Parole Board believed it would be safe to do so (he said it separately to the bit trailed in the Press about not releasing serving prisoners half way through the sentence).

eWell maybe deradicalization might work better if the services overseeing it hadn't been cut to the bone. Probation and the Police, mental health services. Not going to work too well in an under funded, demoralised prison system either. SO incidents like this are par for the course.

It's OK though the Home sec is going to crack down on "counter-terrorist offenders."
:rolleyes:

Words are indeed cheap, deeds are not.

The Home Secretary is undoubtedly doing what he can, within his budget. That the budget ought to be greater is a no brainer.

You do have to look though, at how money is spent. Is it good use of money to place surveillance on released criminals? Would a better option be whole life sentences?

Last edited:

The Home Secretary is undoubtedly doing what he can, within his budget. That the budget out to be greater is a no brainer.

You do have to look though, at how money is spent. Is it good use of money to place surveillance on released criminals? Would a better option be whole life sentences?
he?:hmm:

The Home Secretary is undoubtedly doing what he can, within his budget. That the budget out to be greater is a no brainer.

For the offences listed earlier by 39 steps

Back
Top Bottom