Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stabbings in Leicester Square 12/08/24

I don’t really understand. By this logic, all men should be feeling the same way, seeing as men attack more men than women? I am more likely to be a victim of male violence than you.

Men are also much more likely to put themselves in situations where they can be victims of male violence. E.g. not that unusual for men to stagger home alone drunk at 2am rather than pay taxi fare, or to get involved in confrontations or gangs. Women have to be more careful because if they were able to be as blasé as men about their personal safety then they probably would be more likely to be attacked than men, especially including sexual violence.

Edit - just in case people misread that as whataboutery, my point is that men being more likely to be victims of violence doesn't mean that women have less to worry about it - it is because they have more to worry about that they have to go to greater lengths to avoid putting themselves in situations where they are vulnerable, e.g. avoiding confrontation and not going out alone at night. It isn't the case that a man walking alone late at night is more likely to be attacked than a woman is, it is that woman have to avoid doing this altogether because the risk to them is significantly higher than it is for men.

Last edited:
And you're right, but the rage or horror argh often suggests seemed to me to capture wtfftw's intention more than ahhh
I think you're usually on the right side, but you misjudged it on this occasion and corrected a female poster about something as stupid as what string of letters she should use to express her rage - I mean I think generally you land on the right side, but that response missed the mark, IMO.

"Abdullah had never heard of (Tommy) Robinson until he was targeted by the founder of the now-defunct English Defence League on X after the Leicester Square attack.

(Tommy) Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, had seized on a false claim made on social media that Abdullah was a supporter of Hamas – an unfounded allegation that Robinson shared with his followers, before later retracting his post ..."

‘I love this country’: the migrant hero who tackled Leicester Square attacker

88550419-13745589-image-a-1_1723703822543.jpg

Heroic Abdullah from Pakistan was the guest of honour at the Pakistan Independence Day event held by the Pakistan High Commission last week.​

The girl seems OK. Thankfully. She was an Australian tourist. Amazingly she went to see Taylor Swift after the attack. The Australian Telegraph posted the video above of her speaking about it. The Evening standard says they cannot name her - presumably for legal reasons - so I won't here, but no restriction in Australia. Not that it matters.

Back
Top Bottom