Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Oceangate's Titan. The Bayesian yacht. Why do the deaths of rich people matter more than poor people?

Weird how your Ray Davies's and Eric Claptons and Pete Townshends have just lain low for 40 odd years.

The men from the ministry will make an offer.

Or I'm oddball.

Has Clappers gone COVID denialist as well? I seem to remember he was playing some COVID denialist festival. Bowie was just being a massive edgelord but Clapton is genuinely disgusting.

Today, the "main news" on the World at One on Radio 4 is that a former manager of football teams has died. He seems to have been good at his job, and admirable in some ways, but. . . should it be the lead item?

Today, the "main news" on the World at One on Radio 4 is that a former manager of football teams has died. He seems to have been good at his job, and admirable in some ways, but. . . should it be the lead item?
I hate football but "Probably" is probably the answer. He was at least as important as that king Charles fella, and he'd be front page if he snuffed it.

Reactions: PTK
Mike Lynch was killed because he, Miss Marple, and Dangerous Davis were getting close to solving the Letby affair.

I think that there is an element of people being drawn to spectacle.

Before there were airliners, there were airships, and there were a number of airship disasters. More people will know of the Hindenburg disaster than the crash of the R101, although the latter killed more people. In the case of the Hindenburg, there is film of the spectacular fire that engulfed it.

I know that there was no film of the Titan, but I think that people were gripped by the drama, when it was wrongly believed that there was a chance that the people had survived.

There was a lot of coverage of the case of the miners trapped in Chile, some years ago. I think that this was seen by media organisations as dramatic, because someone from, I think, the USA, came up with a way of rescuing them. Most cases of trapped miners do not get a similar level of coverage.

The Grenfell Fire disaster did receive a lot of coverage at the time.
I'm only on page 1, so probably said already, but these maritime deaths are the mirror opposite of Grenfell. People died at Grenfell due to poverty and being put in danger by other people (politicians in particular). The rich yacht/Titanic types are ultra rich and put in danger by their own choices. For that at least, fuck 'em.

That obviously doesn't apply to others caught up in the sinkings, crew and children most notably.

I'm only on page 1, so probably said already, but these maritime deaths are the mirror opposite of Grenfell. People died at Grenfell due to poverty and being put in danger by other people (politicians in particular). The rich yacht/Titanic types are ultra rich and put in danger by their own choices. For that at least, fuck 'em.

That obviously doesn't apply to others caught up in the sinkings, crew and children most notably.
Well said, and on a day, over 7 years after Grenfell, when a news story about a fire at another London block of flats will quickly fall down the news agenda because...poorer people and no-one died...
A major incident has been declared after more than 100 people were evacuated and two taken to hospital as a fire engulfed a block of flats in Dagenham, east London, which had “known” safety issues.

The London fire brigade (LFB) said it was carrying out a “significant search and rescue operation” after being called to the blaze on Freshwater Road at 2.44am on Monday.

Forty-five engines and about 225 firefighters responded to the fire that engulfed the whole mixed-use commercial and residential building, including scaffolding surrounding the property and the roof, the LFB added.

Work had been under way to remove non-compliant cladding on the flats, the BBC reported, adding the fire brigade had said the building had a “number of fire safety issues” known to officials. The cause of the fire is not yet known.

Eric Clapton was fucking disgusting. Bowie flirted with fascism more as a "pose". Both were shit but Clapton was/is the real deal at being a racist cunt (also especially hypocritical since he made his millions by nicking music from people like Freddie King and Bob Marley).
Bit of a derail, but Clapton is also an (admitted) rapist, according to his wiki page. Pattie Boyd was his victim:
Clapton admitted to raping and abusing her while they were married and he was a "full-blown" alcoholic who felt entitled to sex.[196]

It feels like there's not so much a media conspiracy to ignore all of this when they repeatedly run his music or have him as a talking head - they just don't give a shit.

I hate football but "Probably" is probably the answer. He was at least as important as that king Charles fella, and he'd be front page if he snuffed it.
For your analogy to work, Sven-Göran Eriksson would have to have died while still in post.

The death of a head of state is surely going to be more newsworthy than the death of the manager of a football team?

For your analogy to work, Sven-Göran Eriksson would have to have died while still in post.
Your experience suggests you're wrong.
The death of a head of state is surely going to be more newsworthy than the death of the manager of a football team?
Maybe for you. I'd rather read that a dog had shat itself than read anything about a head of state, unless I was reading that the head was in a state after it departed from the body it was once attached to.

Reactions: Sue
Your experience suggests you're wrong.

Maybe for you. I'd rather read that a dog had shat itself than read anything about a head of state, unless I was reading that the head was in a state after it departed from the body it was once attached to.
If it is of no interest to you at all who the head of state is, then how is it you know who it is?

Eriksson was also unwell for some time and knew he was on the way out. 'Man with terminal illness dies' is tough to wring a week's worth of headlines from, even in August.

Then again up until last week I'd have thought, 'man who was on a ship that sank a week ago now believed to be dead' was pretty thin material for a lead story.

My Dog Shat Itself

were one of the finest exponents of Slack Punk.
Even uttering the name of their first album in a record shop could cause the staff to call the police.

An animal can shit or piss itself if it's unintentional or uncontrolled release of urine or faeces, especially if it ends up on the animal.

I have an elderly cat with some age-related bladder and bowel issues, and there is a difference between normal shitting and pissing that the animal has some control over, and "oh dear he seems to have shat/pissed himself".

(EDIT: The current subject matter of this thread does not compute with the thread title and I haven't read all the thread, sorry if I've spectacularly missed the point of some sort of analogy and taken the last few posts too literally. Blame the "New Posts" button).

If. Doing a lot of work there.

As I said, I apologise if I've got it wrong and made a poorly judged post :(

(I was just skimming through new posts and saw there was a discussion about whether animals could shit themselves, and responded to that, didn't even clock what the thread was until after I'd hit the post button)

My Dog Shat Itself

were one of the finest exponents of Slack Punk.
Even uttering the name of their first album in a record shop could cause the staff to call the police.
Whilst 'shat itself' is grammatically correct, I'm old school. 'Shit itself' every day of the week.

Back
Top Bottom