Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kirstie Allsopp discussion

And he's a minor.

That doesn't bother me so much, becasue he's in a public place. But the idea of publicly shaming him on account of his MH seems a bit off. Of course, I might be wrong, he might not have any issues beyond bad parenting, but it seems ulikely to me.

That doesn't bother me so much, becasue he's in a public place. But the idea of publicly shaming him on account of his MH seems a bit off. Of course, I might be wrong, he might not have any issues beyond bad parenting, but it seems ulikely to me.
Haven't watched it.

I have a different set of tolerances it seems. I would have regarded it as utterly unacceptable if someone had secretly filmed my kids even if they were in public. Broadcasting the film online is a further step into unacceptability.

We spent a three hour flight last year with a kid behind us continually kicking the backs of our seats. Mum sat right there, clearly had zero interest in controlling the child despite our repeated pleas. Mrs Frank has back pain at the best of times so she was really suffering because of this festering polyp of a child.

When the plane landed and everyone got up to leave, the mum tripped over her own handbag and went flat on her face in the aisle. We laughed at her. Then we saw her again in the terminal and laughed at her again.
Did you complain to them? Cause if my kid was kicking the seat in front and no-one seemed bothered I'd let her get on with it.

Haven't watched it.

I have a different set of tolerances it seems. I would have regarded it as utterly unacceptable if someone had secretly filmed my kids even if they were in public. Broadcasting the film online is a further step into unacceptability.
Indeed.

I don’t understand people’s intolerance re other people’s children, I understand the parents stress because it’s often a case of having to go over the same stuff 10 times a day, but I’ve never gotten stressed by other people’s kids who I see briefly and never will again. Maybe folks who do should accept

they can’t deal with public places and stay at home :D

Did you complain to them? Cause if my kid was kicking the seat in front and no-one seemed bothered I'd let her get on with it.
This. It’s one of those things that doesn’t seem a big deal to the perpetrator much like reclining your seat and boxing the person behind you in. Also, she might have been saving the surrounding passengers from worse if the bairn was going through one of those phases where the word no= chaos! Kids unfortunately need to learn how to behave outside by just being outside, you can’t keep them in till they learn unfortunately!

In her defence she's said that club class should be a huge treat you've worked hard for and the reason for not seating them up front is to not spoil them, and also to save money to do other things with the kids. Nothing about not wanting to sit with them. This is entirely manufactured outrage.

I bet there's loads of things parents pay more for themselves than their 12 yr olds (e.g. hairdressers, smartphones, designer clothes etc) but wouldn't do the same for their kids for the same reason. Kids don't need certain things like business class seats at stupid prices and are probably better in the long run for not being given them on a plate.

Certainly teaches them that parasitising on a broken housing system is a sufficiently laudable pursuit to merit having people wait on you while the plebs sit at at the back of bus.

It's your job to make sure your kids behave and are aware of others around them.

Trust me, they're bothered. They just can't be arsed interacting with a person that let's their kid do that.
It's my 'job' to do that within the limits of what's realistically achievable and I might think that having her kick the seat in front is far preferable to having her run off to play with the emergency doors or something. Especially if the most the person in front is going to do about it is laugh at me behind my back and then moan about it on the internet.

It's my 'job' to do that within the limits of what's realistically achievable and I might think that having her kick the seat in front is far preferable to having her run off to play with the emergency doors or something. Especially if the most the person in front is going to do about it is laugh at me behind my back and then moan about it on the internet.

Well preventing them playing with emergency doors is a completely different level of argument.

But if it's just because the person in front doesn't complain, then yes it is your 'job'.

It's your job to make sure your kids behave and are aware of others around them.

Trust me, they're bothered. They just can't be arsed interacting with a person that let's their kid do that.

If you aren’t fucking angry about toddlers kicking backs of seats then you aren’t paying attention.

Well preventing them playing with emergency doors is a completely different level of argument.

But if it's just because the person in front doesn't complain, then yes it is your 'job'.
Lol. It's not my job to assume that other people are upset about things they can't even be bothered to complain about. And I'm not saying I wouldn't stop her kicking the seat I'm just saying there are a lot of factors involved in parenting and if the choice is between annoying one or two people and potentially more disruptive behaviour then I probably won't be seeing you again anyway.

Lol. It's not my job to assume that other people are upset about things they can't even be bothered to complain about. And I'm not saying I wouldn't stop her kicking the seat I'm just saying there are a lot of factors involved in parenting and if the choice is between annoying one or two people and potentially more disruptive behaviour then I probably won't be seeing you again anyway.

Lol yourself. This is why I never turn around and complain.

We spent a three hour flight last year with a kid behind us continually kicking the backs of our seats. Mum sat right there, clearly had zero interest in controlling the child despite our repeated pleas. Mrs Frank has back pain at the best of times so she was really suffering because of this festering polyp of a child.

When the plane landed and everyone got up to leave, the mum tripped over her own handbag and went flat on her face in the aisle. We laughed at her. Then we saw her again in the terminal and laughed at her again.

I don’t suppose you tried speaking to the child and explaining why you would like them to stop? One thing I hated as a child was adults speaking to my parents about me as if I wasn’t present, or a human.

British culture. You'd rather moan about your problems than solve them.

Of course! Avoid confrontation at all cost. Smile and say having your chair kicked for two hours didn't bother you one bit, and thank the restaurant staff for serving you the utterly disgusting reheated crap that you overpaid for.

Then moan about it..for hours, seething inside. Resort to sending an angry Tweet! It's the British way!

its a balancing act with youngsters on planes - a couple of hours is get away able , but when you are doing overnights and the young people get overtired, you can get into a spiral that seems to have no end. I have done this with a 18 month year old that was ratcheted up to 11 on the red faced tantrum meter. Few parents (if any) structure this kind of event as some kind of loltastic airborne jape. The sour faced couple behind me kicked off a couple of times and I apologised and clarified that this was hardly planned and the kid was shattered. the third time,still seeing we were genuinely struggling to calm the baby down, I told them to fuck off. that shut them up

its a balancing act with youngsters on planes - a couple of hours is get away able , but when you are doing overnights and the young people get overtired, you can get into a spiral that seems to have no end. I have done this with a 18 month year old that was ratcheted up to 11 on the red faced tantrum meter. Few parents (if any) structure this kind of event as some kind of loltastic airborne jape. The sour faced couple behind me kicked off a couple of times and I apologised and clarified that this was hardly planned and the kid was shattered. the third time,still seeing we were genuinely struggling to calm the baby down, I told them to fuck off. that shut them up
on yersel!!!

One of the good things about China is people are pretty tolerant of kids though think it's changing in the cities. Have got off bus halfway a few times to calm daughter and wait for next one when shes been grizzly though.

It's your job to make sure your kids behave well and know what behaving well/badly means.

I've very politely said things to parents on various occasions (generally on trains though) and this has normally been met with astonishment/them not doing anything. Suspect I'm not alone in this so I'd not be massively surprised if people have given up saying anything.

I was ready to kick off at anybody who gave us a hard time the first few times I flew with my little boy, turned out everybody was agreeable and he was a good flyer anyway. But people offering unsolicited parenting advice certainly kicked it up a notch on the occasions when it was just me and him flying...

It's your job to make sure your kids behave well and know what behaving well/badly means.

I've very politely said things to parents on various occasions (generally on trains though) and this has normally been met with astonishment/them not doing anything. Suspect I'm not alone in this so I'd not be massively surprised if people have given up saying anything.
Did you always obey your parents as a child?

Write down how you do this to 2 year old having a tantrum, publish it and you'll be able to fly in private jets for the rest of your life :thumbs:
I've no idea how old maomao's kids are. Tbh though (and I imagine this is an unpopular view), if your kid is two and having tantrums, should they really be on a plane in the first place?

I've no idea how old maomao's kids are. Tbh though (and I imagine this is an unpopular view), if your kid is two and having tantrums, should they really be on a plane in the first place?
Wtf? My kids (4 months and 3 years) shouldn't be allowed to go and see their grandparents?

ALL two year olds have tantrums. You as the supposed grown up need to learn to live with it, if you can't, maybe (and I imagine this is an unpopular view with you) you should stay indoors.

Back
Top Bottom