Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump, the road that might not lead to the White House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My impression of Trump is that he is too shallow and too wily to be a president who does anything very much. Build a wall and make Mexico pay? What you're saying is that you're not going to build a wall but that it's Mexico's fault that you can't build it. Got your excuse in early on that one. When I listen to him, all he says to me is, "I'm weak, weak, weak, vote for me and I won't change anything." I think it's there as a subtext. The fact that he is so glib when he lies, it shows there isn't really any political agenda of any substance. And yes the others all lie, but Trump lies unnecessarily, constantly. He is a bellicose version of Jeffery Archer. His judgement of the mood of much of the nation is very astute and he knows what to say and how to say it, combined with his perceived independence from the establishment and the underlying safeness of his candidacy I can't imagine him not winning the Repbulican nomination and it's very likely that he will end up as president.

My impression of Trump is that he is too shallow and too wily to be a president who does anything very much. Build a wall and make Mexico pay? What you're saying is that you're not going to build a wall but that it's Mexico's fault that you can't build it. Got your excuse in early on that one. When I listen to him, all he says to me is, "I'm weak, weak, weak, vote for me and I won't change anything." I think it's there as a subtext. The fact that he is so glib when he lies, it shows there isn't really any political agenda of any substance. And yes the others all lie, but Trump lies unnecessarily, constantly. He is a bellicose version of Jeffery Archer. His judgement of the mood of much of the nation is very astute and he knows what to say and how to say it, combined with his perceived independence from the establishment and the underlying safeness of his candidacy I can't imagine him not winning the Repbulican nomination and it's very likely that he will end up as president.

TBH I think the wall is something that will get built - many of the border states already have gone quite a way down that route already - though whether he can plausibly claim that the Mexicans will pay for it is something else.

If anything, a Trump - Cruz standoff is probably even worse situation for the Republicans than a Trump landslide would be. Also you would think that Rubio is done now, he is third or fourth everywhere.
i meant the little guy in the cherry-picker ...

Looks like it's not been posted here yet so- Kenan Malik's take (on Trump as a manifestation of people's complete disillusionment with mainstream politics):
WHAT MAKES DONALD TRUMP

But perhaps it is not such an odd thing to say. Perhaps it is because Blair has spent his whole life in politics that he finds the contemporary scene so baffling. The landscape of politics has, over the past two decades, transformed, leaving many politicians and pundits without a map to guide them in the new terrain, and baffled as to the rules that now govern popular political behaviour.

This is absolutely true, you can see it reflected very well in the attitudes of politicians who call themselves and are now called 'moderate' whether that is a label that makes any sense or not. They have nothing really left to offer other than the marginalisation of alternatives to them, real or imagined and protection from the internal and external 'other' again whether real or imagined.

My dad kind of likes Trump.:D He isn't authoritarian really in terms of his politics but has been following the election quite closely and said that he was impressed by the way trump had been able to get so many totally apathetic people who had been totally let down by politicians out to vote. He said he really didn't like Cruz and Rubio as they were nuts, and hoped Trump savaged them, he also said he kind of liked the fact he wasn't politically correct but didn't think he was that dangerous. He said he was sick and tired of establishment politicians and felt someone like trump could shake them up a bit. We have discussed the election quite a lot and while I don't agree with him at all it's interesting to hear because I bet there are loads of people in the USA who feel the same way.

Joe Scarborough gives up the game: After 30 years, the GOP base realized ‘it never trickles down’

Fascinating territory we have entered this campaign.

MSNBC host Joe Scarborough complained on Tuesday that the Republican Party was fracturing because it had advocated economic policies benefiting the richest Americans for the last 30 years with the promise that the wealth would “trickle down” to others — but it never did.

“The problem with the Republican Party over the past 30 years is they haven’t — and I’ll say, we haven’t — developed a message that appeals to the working class Americans economically in a way that Donald Trump’s does,” the former Republican lawmaker explained. “We talk about cutting capital gains taxes that the 10,000 people that in the crowd cheering for Donald Trump, they are never going to get a capital gains cut because it doesn’t apply.”

“We talk about getting rid of the death tax,” he continued. “The death tax is not going to impact the 10,000 people in the crowd for Donald Trump. We talk about how great free trade deals are. Those free trade deals never trickle down to those 10,000 people in Donald Trump’s rallies.”

“You sound like Bernie Sanders,” NBC’s Chuck Todd pointed out.

“But herein lies the problem with the Republican Party,” Scarborough complained. “It never trickles down! Those people in Trump’s crowds, those are all the ones that lost the jobs when they get moved to Mexico and elsewhere. The Republican donor class are the ones that got rich off of it because their capital moved overseas and they made higher profits.”

A Ted Cruz spokeswoman just said this, live, on Fox:

"If Donald Trump wins the Presidency, his wife will be the first First Lady to have posed nude, the first First Lady to be a third wife, and the first First Lady this century to be foreign born"

Sounds like whoever said that is someone we need to rally around to keep out the xenophobic sexist bigot!
'don't look at us, look at the bloke who says what we think' is becoming tiresome as fuck. It reminded me of mighty Cameron, slayer of pigs mouths, coming out to call trumps muslim barring statement wrong. Nakedly electoral. I can almost hear his advisors telling him how important the muslim vote in swing seats is. Just fucking say it dave, its another day of bollocks & bullshit so pipe up and crack on

Apart from the fact he's a bit of a nasty piece of work...I think I love him :oops: Just absolute, box-of-frogs bonkers yee-hah-ing himself to steamroll the Republican nomination (a moot nomination when the Hillary machine (which breaks my heart :( ) starts gearing up.

Just heard his press conference. Admitted that Abe Lincoln might pip him, but other than that, considered himself the most statesmanlike President in US History.

The other day they actually discussed dick/hand sizes. :facepalm:

Apart from the fact he's a bit of a nasty piece of work...I think I love him :oops: Just absolute, box-of-frogs bonkers yee-hah-ing himself to steamroll the Republican nomination (a moot nomination when the Hillary machine (which breaks my heart :( ) starts gearing up.

Just heard his press conference. Admitted that Abe Lincoln might pip him, but other than that, considered himself the most statesmanlike President in US History.

The other day they actually discussed dick/hand sizes. :facepalm:
I'm suprised his ego let him say honest abe was better man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom