Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump, the road that might not lead to the White House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At Secretive Meeting, Tech CEOs And Top Republicans Commiserate, Plot To Stop Trump

Billionaires, tech CEOs and top members of the Republican establishment flew to a private island resort off the coast of Georgia this weekend for the American Enterprise Institute's annual World Forum, according to sources familiar with the secretive gathering.
The main topic at the closed-to-the-press confab? How to stop Republican front-runner Donald Trump.

Apple CEO Tim Cook, Google co-founder Larry Page, Napster creator and Facebook investor Sean Parker, and Tesla Motors and SpaceX honcho Elon Musk all attended. So did Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), political guru Karl Rove, House Speaker Paul Ryan, GOP Sens. Tom Cotton (Ark.), Cory Gardner (Colo.), Tim Scott (S.C.), Rob Portman (Ohio) and Ben Sasse (Neb.), who recently made news by saying he "cannot support Donald Trump."

Along with Ryan, the House was represented by Energy and Commerce Committee Chair Fred Upton (Mich.), Rep. Kevin Brady (Texas) and almost-Speaker Kevin McCarthy (Calif.), sources said, along with leadership figure Cathy McMorris Rodgers (Wash.), Budget Committee Chairman Tom Price (R-Ga.), Financial Services Committee Chairman Jeb Hensarling (Texas) and Diane Black (Tenn.).

Philip Anschutz, the billionaire GOP donor whose company owns a stake in Sea Island, was also there, along with Democratic Rep. John Delaney, who represents Maryland. Arthur Sulzberger, the publisher of The New York Times, was there, too, a Times spokeswoman confirmed.

"A specter was haunting the World Forum--the specter of Donald Trump," Kristol wrote in an emailed report from the conference, borrowing the opening lines of the Communist Manifesto. "There was much unhappiness about his emergence, a good deal of talk, some of it insightful and thoughtful, about why he's done so well, and many expressions of hope that he would be defeated."

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall for Tom Cotton's becoming acquainted with Tim Cook.

Posted mainly for it's car crash amusement value

Donald Trump still thinks Islam 'hates' America

Donald Trump refused at a Republican debate in Miami on Thursday to back off his assertion that “Islam hates us”, saying amending his words would be surrendering to political correctness.

At a two-hour, televised melee that was striking mostly for its relative civility,...
:D

And it doesn't really seem to matter so very much what he says, perhaps maybe one or two are having second thoughts though.

On immigration, Mr Trump in one breath admitted he has repeatedly exploited the H1B programme of temporary visa for skilled foreign workers to take jobs at his businesses, and in the next said those visas harmed American workers and should be outlawed. “I’m a businessman and I have to do what I have to do,” he replied to mutterings from the audience.

Last edited:
It does seem a bit odd, but then again he did get more GOP votes in a place like Dearborn than anyone else; perhaps the border issue is less important than giving the establishment a bit of a kicking?

A lot of the Dearborn residents who voted for Sanders did so explicitly because of his relative anti-war stance and the fact he is less pro-Israel than Clinton. I would think that it would be the same with Trump.

Boost for Trump.....Dr. Ben-Palin-Carson will endorse him.
Conservative favorite Ben Carson, who last week suspended his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination, plans to endorse Donald Trump on Friday...
The endorsement, perhaps the most high-profile nod for Trump since New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie backed him, was finalized Thursday morning...

The support of Carson...will likely give Trump a boost with GOP base voters and evangelicals...
[Watch Trump compare Carson to a "child molester" in Iowa]
Ben Carson plans to endorse Trump

It's like the defeated candidates (past and present) are all going 'Pick me! Pick me!' (for the VP)

A lot of the Dearborn residents who voted for Sanders did so explicitly because of his relative anti-war stance and the fact he is less pro-Israel than Clinton. I would think that it would be the same with Trump.

Indeed, but of course they are both establishment positions.

The 2016 GOP convention rules have not been decided on yet, so if Trump doesn't get 1,237 delegates prior to the convention the party can rig it so he isn't the nominee. The Rules Committee are all powerful and can set rules to stop a candidate as they did in 2012 to prevent Texas Rep. Ron Paul being a nominee.

There is an interesting article here about how the party may try and stop him.

The 2016 GOP convention rules have not been decided on yet, so if Trump doesn't get 1,237 delegates prior to the convention the party can rig it so he isn't the nominee. The Rules Committee are all powerful and can set rules to stop a candidate as they did in 2012 to prevent Texas Rep. Ron Paul being a nominee.

There is an interesting article here about how the party may try and stop him.

Nah, they are going to kiss and sort it out

live stream of a now cancelled Trump speech in Chicago, protesters are a significant presence in the hall he was due to speak in and so it was cancelled. Trump supporters are now facing off against anti-Trump protesters shouting 'Bernie', some scuffles

I've changed my mind. Although it's like choosing between having your left arm viciously ripped off or your right, I thought a Trump presidency would be preferable to a Clinton one. In some ways I still think it would be. But what with the recent violence at his rallies and the things he's said about it, there's a distinct sinister atmosphere emerging. A section of his supporters are becoming emboldened in their hate.

I've changed my mind. Although it's like choosing between having your left arm viciously ripped off or your right, I thought a Trump presidency would be preferable to a Clinton one. In some ways I still think it would be. But what with the recent violence at his rallies and the things he's said about it, there's a distinct sinister atmosphere emerging. A section of his supporters are becoming emboldened in their hate.

The reaction to the Chicago rally is astonishing. Trump has spent months talking about attacking protesters and supporting attacks on them by his supporters, in Chicago the odds got evened out a bit and violence is absolutely unacceptable all of a sudden.

Last edited:
10494821_1583573621964217_289527510383844922_n.jpg

From Ohio today, looks like the Chicago working-class has done to Trump what legions of 'political experts' couldn't.

The reaction to the Chicago rally is astonishing. Trump has spent months talking about attacking protesters and supporting attacks on them by his supporters, in Chicago the odds got evened out a bit and suddenly violence is absolutely unacceptable all of a sudden.

I like how the word "thug" has reemerged, as if what his supporters at rallies have done isn't thugish. Once again it's just code for "non-white people demanding their rights." The far-right has consistently proven that they can dish it out, but they sure can't deal with it up 'em.

It is all great for the Trump campaign. He's encouraged people to have fights with protestors, they did so, which was clearly going to wind people up enough to have larger numbers around and thus larger fights. It all reinforces the idea of persecution etc as well as satisfying and encouraging violent tendencies, in the vast majority by proxy. And because it's by proxy it's just as effective regardless of who "wins" a fight; most Trump supporters will come nowhere near these rallies, and most at the rallies will come nowhere near a protest, and most who are near a protest will not have a fight, and tbh even the ones who do have a fight are unlikely to be so intimidated they give up.

If it's good for something, it's reinforcing the anti-Trump side: showing that there is widespread support (enough that there are multiple protests) and that other people are prepared to risk their safety for it. That's great but it reinforces the Trump support as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom