Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hong Kong: China's Last Words?

In general, Hong Kong people are widely recognised as being intelligent, educated, passionate, rational and pragmatic.

The younger generation has now picked up the torch and is determined to perpetuate the fight for genuine autonomy - Hong Kong people ruling Hong Kong (until at least 2047!).

This our right under the Basic Law.

That said, I have deep fears/concerns as to where this is all heading. Beijing has a different plan.

In the meantime, this umbrella movement is truly unique. A global watershed in peaceful protest/resistance. A benchmark. Extraordinary. I'm truly proud to be a Hong Konger.

Be nice to each other peeps.

Woof

Yes, I'm also proud. Even tho I've only been here a couple of years. I've grown to quite like this place.

My friends here are divided on this. Mainly for selfish reasons on the part of the pro china people. Yes, it's hard to get a taxi but fucking hell. There are slightly more important issues.

More power to these kids.

Not looking good.

:(

Pay attention to the West Philippine Sea dispute.

We are living in interesting times.

And here in Hong Kong, we're likely to be trampled by raging elephants.

As Concrete Meadow may have said: "The grass will be flattened".

Stay strong peeps.

Woof

In general, Hong Kong people are widely recognised as being intelligent, educated, passionate, rational and pragmatic.

The younger generation has now picked up the torch and is determined to perpetuate the fight for genuine autonomy - Hong Kong people ruling Hong Kong (until at least 2047!).

This our right under the Basic Law.

What basic law ?

The one that said you could be governed by Chris patten ? On behalf of the Queen of England ?

A cold wind from the north is blowing into Hong Kong - fast.

But we are forsaken now.

I guess people are too busy with Trump/Brexit to notice, or care.

This is a global phenomena.

It bodes ill.

Stay safe peeps.

Gird your loins.

Feminists unite!

Be nice to each other.

:)

Woof

I last posted on this thread (started by Concrete Meadow, back in 2004,) in 2017.

If you will just take a moment to read this last page, you will see that I've posted my increasing alarm since 2014.

If you'd care to read the thread in entirety, it's an interesting journey and education. But at least read this last page and the previous one. Please.

(It's such a shame that Mrs Magpie, inadvertently, deleted the "Original China Thread" way, way back in time. But such things happen and such a Superstar as Magpie is long forgiven. ;) )

Well. Anyway. Here we are. We've arrived.

"China's Last Words" on Hong Kong have been spoken. It's over.

Appeasement is not the answer.

The world has forgotten 1933.

Forgive me peeps. I did my best. I'm broken.

Dark times are ahead.

:(

Please be nice to each other.

(Edited to urge people to read this page, then [IMPORTANTLY!] the page before this one - after the Umbrella movement - and then the previous page. And then, once your interest is peaked, you can start from the beginning. I'm sure there'll be some interesting stuff from the 2008 Olympics [can't remember much 'cos I was banned by FridgeMagnet at that time for complaining about CCP doping on the Olympic thread :) though, still, at the time, the general hopefulness about the future of Hong Kong and China was at its height]).

It's a bit like climate change. The signs are there for decades and then "Oh Fuck!" How fast things change!

Woof

Last edited:
Sadly it's over, Hong Kong is now just another cruddy Chinese city, same as all the rest. The physical loveliness remains, but that melting of East & West is gone for good. Two Christmases ago I took my kids there for a few days, the youngest probably won't remember once she's grown up, but the elder one will, glad to give them the chance to see it when it was still a little bit free.

Good luck Jessiedog

Back
Top Bottom